• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

I drove Brutus in the Phillipsburg N.J. Memorial Day Parade. I was alone and one of the parade marshals told me that there was a man named David who really liked my truck and wanted to know if he could ride along. I said "Sure." David turned out to be totally blind in one eye due to childhood cancer and had some other problems, but he was great company and I think the ride made his day. It was fun for me too. When the parade was over we parked next to a neat 1944 Deuce owned by a nice gent named Mark at the town park memorial service.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's the mount/ pintle for a single leg tow bar that a lot of the Euro trucks use. Gimpy is sending me some yellow lights that will fit in the corners that will get spliced into turn signals. Also adding a LED spot and flood on the top and still need to put my folding step back on.

Yep it's a female Lama in the back ground, it's up at davesgmc mini farm, trying to get someone to come and shear last years wool off her. Also finally got the AAR mobile shop office out of the deuce bed and on to my M1060A1 trailer in the background also.

Last edited:

jbayer

Not just today, but several days over the past couple weeks I removed and replaced the head boards over the troop seats.
HD had/has 1"x 10" red oak on sale, at almost half price. So I got two 12 footers, ripped them down to 3" widths, and rounded over the corners. I used the one fiberglass board I have to locate and transfer drill the hole patteren. Got some HD FS34094 BEHR ultra mixed up and painted them with three coats, light sanding between coats #2, and # 3. Oh,I also sandblasted all the carriage bolts, OSPHOED them, and primed with RO red oxide.
Definitly looks better. I still have to redo the seat latches, and install.
Old sides1.jpgOld sides2.jpgBoard price.jpgSide Boards cut.jpgSide boards1.jpgSide Boards2.jpgBEHR 34094 label.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Not just today, but several days over the past couple weeks I removed and replaced the head boards over the troop seats.
HD had/has 1"x 10" red oak on sale, at almost half price. So I got two 12 footers, ripped them down to 3" widths, and rounded over the corners.
View attachment 561903
That's a first rate job; nice looking results. [thumbzup]

And I never knew that HD carried hardwood, guess I just never spent enough time in the lumber section. That's a surprise to me.

wilfreeman

I know what a job that is! Looks real good! I reworked mine on the bobber last year using white oak from a local sawmill and new hardware. My brother coated them with spar varnish for a different look.

jbayer

I know what a job that is! Looks real good! I reworked mine on the bobber last year using white oak from a local sawmill and new hardware. My brother coated them with spar varnish for a different look.
Thanks wilfreeman. Yea, yours are really nice, I saw them up close at WB1895's when you were dropping off those tires. That white Oak looks good cleared on a tan truck, doesn't stand out to much. I really would have liked to find some white oak for mine, but I figured any oak would be better than pine, or fir.

pmramsey

I worked the deuce everyday this week. Just finished a field of barley and parking it for the weekend. The trailer is an MT-2000 military 20ft. container hauler that has been fitted with a 20ft. aluminum cargo bed. Remove eight bolts and the cargo bed swings off and the trailer returns to a container hauler. And, yes, there is a removable handicap ramp attached to the trailer. The driver has worked for me a little over 8-years. She handles the A3 very well...except when it comes to changing tires; she is nowhere to be found.20150529_135615.jpg

drivebymashing

20150530_122101.jpg20150530_122306.jpgAll four steering box bolts came lose and rubbed a hole in that fuel line. Any one point me in the right directiong for a new line? See the gap between bolt head near the line with the green cap area.

3dAngus

After only starting mine once in the past year, and it sitting up all that time, i recharged the batteries to start it. Not that they needed recharging, but I wanted to be safe. It turned and fired right up, and I had to move it to the other side of my property, which is only 100' away.
It sat there through Memorial Day weekend with the flag attached and proudly flying high. On Thursday, I decided it was time to put it away, and tried to start it, but the battery died. I took the time off to wire brush all the metal under the plastic battery box, and put a coat of paint on everything underneath. I purchased a new old stock battery from a SSer at a Georgia rally 18 months ago and kept it as a spare, knowing I would need it one day, and kept it charged once a month since, then installed it. The deuce just bump started right up as it always has, and I moved it, but today, I'm going to enjoy a long overdue drive, then next week its gets a good scrubbing.
What a wonderful and reliable machine.

p.s. Missileman, back in the 70's, I used to build and test the AIM9J sidewinder missile, and refurbish the 9b to a 9e here and in Europe. It was one of my first jobs at Robins. Cool stuff...

Last edited:
I pressure washed the under carriage and began pressure washing the natural moss camo growing on the truck. Good lord these trucks have a million nooks and crannies to hide dirt it seems like. Also made a to do list for tomorrow as I have the day off :D

rustystud

I pressure washed the under carriage and began pressure washing the natural moss camo growing on the truck. Good lord these trucks have a million nooks and crannies to hide dirt it seems like. Also made a to do list for tomorrow as I have the day off :D
Don't you realize that the military designed all those nooks and crannies to be able to grow all that natural moss as camouflage ! Now look what you've done, you've ruined all that by cleaning it up ! LOL :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks