• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Caseymikl

Read up on the winch. I'm having an issue with it. The clutch lever will not engage to in. At all. It's in the out position and does not free spool. If you pull the cable the drum will turn about half turn and stop. Like it's locked. Will not move any farther. The clutch lever will not fully go into the in position. Will only move an inch or 2 and that's about it. Also my pto shaft will not stop spinning! No matter what position the pto lever is in it doesn't stop. Gotta figure that out before I buy the winch drive shaft.

1bonehead

I put the Napa muffler on it today. I also made arrangements and picked up a winch setup. I have been trying to get hooked up with a set of singles but I continual have been missing the guy with them. Not his fault but really my work this week and last week I was half way there and the motor went on the bosses stake body truck.
I think I need to replace the tach cable. She is jumping all over the place. Maybe some cable lube might fix it.
The motor seems right with no leak except what looks like a rear main seal might by weaping. I will investigate next Sunday when I am off next.

Either way, I am having fun and have been bitten hard by the bug.

Caseymikl

I put the Napa muffler on it today. I also made arrangements and picked up a winch setup. I have been trying to get hooked up with a set of singles but I continual have been missing the guy with them. Not his fault but really my work this week and last week I was half way there and the motor went on the bosses stake body truck.
I think I need to replace the tach cable. She is jumping all over the place. Maybe some cable lube might fix it.
The motor seems right with no leak except what looks like a rear main seal might by weaping. I will investigate next Sunday when I am off next.

Either way, I am having fun and have been bitten hard by the bug.
I'm planning on trying to find a set of singles. Will be replacing a few gauges as well as all the windows and mirrors on the truck soon. Hopefully will be registering it and driving or around locally soon!

Another Ahab

Read up on the winch. I'm having an issue with it. Also my pto shaft will not stop spinning! No matter what position the pto lever is in it doesn't stop. Gotta figure that out before I buy the winch drive shaft.
You say you did some reading. Does that include Threads here on the site (as well as the T/M)?

Should be more than one you could Search, that might offer some help here. Have you tried THAT yet?

Another Ahab

I haven't been around the computer to open up the tms on here. They won't open on my phone. I've read up on a few I found online
That's a good strategy, too. [thumbzup]

And you might consider starting your own stand-alone thread about the problem. If you do, give some strong thought to the title; to be sure you get response from the right crowd of people.

Pugsley

Took the front end apart after snapping an axle trying to drive over a car.

image5.jpgimage4.jpgimage3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpg

Good thing I broke it, that bad bearing is the one on the driver side I would have hated to have it break on the way to/from Haspin. I hope to have it back together next weekend.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't really do much with the deuce this week, besides take it for a little drive and leave it in the driveway all weekend instead of the backyard RV slot in honor of 9/11. I did start the restoration of my M105A2 with the help of one of my little troops.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442208591.562535.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442208627.344874.jpg
Got most of the dents pulled and straightened out, next week I'll do a couple section repairs and more paint removal. Hopefully have it ready for our local Veterans Day parade.

Another Ahab

Took the front end apart after snapping an axle trying to drive over a car.
I sure hope whoever was IN the car at the time didn't mind too much. They should KNOW to pull off to the side of the road when they're disabled.

Was it another pesky Prius!?

Last edited:

SRB1976

Had my new tire mounted the other day. Changed the oil and filters and greased everything. The deuce sure has a lot of grease fittings:shock:. Went through 4 tubes of grease. The oil filter must have been installed by Private Armstrong, sucker was tight. Broke two of my oil filter wrenches. Also, my M35a3s tranny appears to have transmission fluid in it instead of oil. Were these trucks built with fluid in them and the military changed it to oil? If thats the case looks mine was never changed. The fluid is a dark reddish color, definitely looks like transmission fluid to me.

Pic of new tire
IMG_20150912_191907336[1].jpg

Last edited:
Over the weekend I finish rebuilding and installing my transmission. My first test was to pull forward 4' and then back up 4'. Well it went forward with no problem but reverse was another story. With the help of M34tom we figured out that the parking brake was jammed. Thanks Tom for all your help.
Today I took it for a test drive. Everything seem great except I can hear a squeak coming from the left spindle bearings. It seemed a little tight when I installed it. The transmission is working great. It shifts much easier. The noise I had in 5th gear is 75% better. It doesn't grind going into 1st any more. So overall the test drive was a success. The parking after the test drive, well not so good. As I am backing into my parking spot, a brake line decided it didn't want to deliver brake fluid anymore and spit dot 5 all over the bottom of the bed between the two rear axles.
I thought I has going to drive the truck to Gilbert this weekend but now it looks like I will be driving the Escape. I'm trying not to let this get me down. I keep telling myself that it's a 44 year old truck that hasn't been loved for a long time. And that I love it and that is all that matters.
If anyone at Gilbert has a full set of new brake lines for an m35a2 for sale please let my know and I will gladly buy them from you.

Mitchell.

Last edited:

DevRev

Over the weekend I finish rebuilding and installing my transmission. My first test was to pull forward 4' and then back up 4'. Well it went forward with no problem but reverse was another story. With the help of M34tom we figured out that the parking brake was jammed. Thanks Tom for all your help.
Today I took it for a test drive. Everything seem great except I can hear a squeak coming from the left spindle bearings. It seemed a little tight when I installed it. The transmission is working great. It shifts much easier. The noise I had in 5th gear is 75% better. It doesn't grind going into 1st any more. So overall the test drive was a success. The parking after the test drive, well not so good. As I am backing into my parking spot, a brake line decided it didn't want to deliver brake fluid anymore and spit dot 5 all over the bottom of the bed between the two rear axles.
I thought I has going to drive the truck to Gilbert this weekend but now it looks like I will be driving the Escape. I'm trying not to let this get me down. I keep telling myself that it's a 44 year old truck that hasn't been loved for a long time. And that I love it and that is all that matters.
If anyone at Gilbert has a full set of new brake lines for an m35a2 for sale please let my know and I will gladly buy them from you.

Mitchell.
Sounds like you'd love some braided ones haha

Caseymikl

Pulled all the kinked cable off the winch. Also filled the winch with trans fluid. Because there was no fluid in it. I found a leak behind he drum. I know trans fluid isn't supposed to be In it. I put trans fluid in basically so there is fluid in it and to flush it out. I still can't get the winch to free spool and it won't move into in position. So may need to pull it apart and rebuild it or inspect it :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks