• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Davis Welding

I did a little to my newly acquired deucer. It seems that my preheater injector is leaking out the plunger end. I pulled it apart today and it seems the orings are a size that I did not have. It still leaks. I'll need to try to get the right orings tomorrow. I don't really forsee needing the preheater but I like to have things that work and work right! I also made a new hose to go from the water/fuel separator to the IP. I ended up having the right fittings and hose left over from my racing car days!! I had to buy a new petcock for the drain and a 3/8NPT to -6 90* fitting. $10 all tolled for about $50 worth of fittings/hose.

Last week I flipped the rear hubs and cleaned up the rear brakes as the guy that owed it before me was a big fan of the mud but not of the car wash! The brakes are brand new! I took the ebrake off and dropped it at the local machine shop for a reline.....wow!!! $105 for parts and labor! I should have just bought a reline kit off ebay for $20! Oh well. Those guys have always taken good care of me! I just need to source a good, cheap ebrake cable. I really don't want to buy one for $80 as I am doing a Ford C600 cab swap on my frame so the cable will be wrong anyway.

I may pull the front hubs and have a looksee tomorrow or the next!! Merry Christmas folks!

Davis Welding

Wow, that sounds like a very interesting project. Please start a thread in the Deuce Modification & Hot-Rod Forum for this deuce build! I can't wait to see pics.
This is a quick photohackjob I did as a rough rendering. I don't have a title for the M35 so I can't do much with it and it is only half the cab anyway. I have a clear title for the C600 so, BAM! Problem solved but creating 100 other problems....that's just the way I do it ;)

decuecabover.jpg

Davis Welding

It was work-on-Powerstroke Day today but I was able to get the right oring for the preheater injector. I didn't write down all the measurements but it was 16mm OD and it works great now, no more leak. Then I proceeded to drive around town for a bit, annoying all the cheerful folks! I delivered the coal to a few naughty ones too! ;)

MatthewH

WP_20151225_001.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody.
While most people were unwrapping there gifts this morning, I was loading up my gift to myself. Scored 11-9.00x20 NDT's on rims from Craigslist. We tried to exchange yesterday, but the weather and power outages shut us down.
Most are 80% or better, a couple are alittle worn, but there's 2 brand new Titans there destined for the front. Alittle paint and they'll go right on

MatthewH

Yeah, had a cold front move threw wed night/thurs morning. Some areas had winds clocked at over 70mph. We had 50 at the house. Not much damage, alot of down trees. Guy was coming from the Upper Peninsula, and the Mighty Mac was closed to anything other than cars and empty pickups, so they turned him back.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Prepping to do an HH reseal.I sprayed it down with some WD today. I will probably pull it tomorrow if the weather is halfway nice!

Just a heads up, those lines don't like to come out of the hyd head. I've found ATF to be the best lube(put some acetone in with it if you have it). ALso, I've had many wrenches, even flare nut wrenches round off the hex fittings.

THE BEST way to loosen a stuck line is to put the wrench on the fitting and while applying light pressure with one hand, LIGHTLY tap the wrench with a small hammer in the other hand. It works like an impact gun and it might take 40sec of tapping, but I've never failed to get lines off this way. If they start turning, then tighten up, put more ATF on it and tighten it back up. Work it back and forth and you will be victorious.
All those days of standing around a mechanic's shop have started paying off!

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I am positioning my spare engine near the rear door, so that when I run it, I can exhaust easily. This is the engine that came to me from JEEPSINKERS yard, then to BRYCE's yard in Fort Pierce, then to my yard. I Used both my bomb crane to move it, as well as dragging it atop of my two 5 ton floor jacks...The chain fall is 2 ton capacity and it went smoothly...

Attachments

Another Ahab

Well I am positioning my spare engine near the rear door, so that when I run it, I can exhaust easily. The chain fall is 2 ton capacity and it went smoothly...
It looks like you got a busy shop; a lot going on there:

- What is the deal with the funky fender on the front of the deuce?

Is there maybe a driver in the house who has a little trouble with depth perception!?

fender.jpg

Davis Welding

Just a heads up, those lines don't like to come out of the hyd head. I've found ATF to be the best lube(put some acetone in with it if you have it). ALso, I've had many wrenches, even flare nut wrenches round off the hex fittings.

THE BEST way to loosen a stuck line is to put the wrench on the fitting and while applying light pressure with one hand, LIGHTLY tap the wrench with a small hammer in the other hand. It works like an impact gun and it might take 40sec of tapping, but I've never failed to get lines off this way. If they start turning, then tighten up, put more ATF on it and tighten it back up. Work it back and forth and you will be victorious.
All those days of standing around a mechanic's shop have started paying off!
Of all the dirty, filthy, rusted and muddy parts on this truck, the injector lines were great! I only had one line that was slightly upset about being disturbed! The hardest parts of this whole deal was the slight wind and 27* weather in my outdoor shop! I still need to reinstall the lines today and make sure everything is tight. Thanks for the advice on the acetone and ATF! That is a great penetrating oil solution. I read and article some place about testing all different "witch craft brews" of penetrating oils and solvents as well as store bought brands. The AFT-acteone 50%-50% blend had the best results for decreasing the amount of TQ required to break fasteners loose. And it's pretty cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks