• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

pitpawten

Picked up some rear lifting shackles (that go one spring pack) because...well I'm not really sure why...as well as a clean used passenger window, the proper twist style wiper actuator, a fender exhaust flange, and gaskets for the sender and pump so I can install my A3 tank.

If you are local to the MD, PA, VA area, it's worth a trip to TNJ Murray in DE. They've got a good stock of parts and can even put you together a truck if you want.

Jeeper10

Thanku, auto body tech in grade school comes in handy occasionally. It looks ok from 5 feet, lots of flaws close up. I just wanted to get it covered to stop the deterioration until I have time for the cosmetics

AZK9

Where are you planning on installing the tank at ? The bed ?
Yup...

I've been trying to locate an original 55 gal tank to mount in the spare tire spot, but no luck.
When I came across this tank I thought it would fit in several places up in the bed.

I sent you a PM. :wink:

I'm still trying to discover what 'exactly' I have here with this tank. I had started a
thread to specifically ID it, but it remains a mystery up to this point. Here's the link:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ANK-Identification-Can-t-Find-Any-Data-Plates

I'd love to find some technical data, military specifications, or something 'written'
that would help me to know exactly what I've got here. So far, no luck, but I don't
quit easily. :lol: Still.... any help that would spare me any additional 'hair-pulling', rofl
would be fantastic!

AZK9

On my truck, I'm pulling off the spare tire hangar & putting another tank on that side so 50-50 saddle. Should give me 500-700mi range (depending on the wind).
That's exactly what I wanted to do with my original plan, but at the moment I'm still stuck
in extreme South Jersey, 'Land of Very Few if Any MV Parts'. And... as some rock band once said,
"You can't always get what you want!". Murphy has a way of sneaking around no matter what plans
and/or precautions folks put in place. I'm usually ready for him, but there's no certainty it will keep
him at bay completely. :wink: Experience in firefighting and SAR has reinforced thinking like a Boy Scout.
Being overly prepared is how I tend to approach things. I continue to meet with unscheduled challenges,
but I usually come through them in the end.

Like you, I'm going to be driving my deuce on a long trip. I plan to leave NJ in late June, or early
July on a trip home to Arizona. I drive X-Country all the time and know to expect-the-unexpected.
Normally a 3000 mile trip is just a nice 2 1/2 day drive, but in an old deuce (mine is a 1970 as well),
I'm allowing myself 10 to 15 days if needed. My deuce loves to run, but pushing it too hard might
run it into the ground... and... I love it too much to chance that. :mrgreen:

I'll be closely following your trip and hope you'll be able to connect with 98G on your drive west.
That's an opportunity I'd love to have! [thumbzup]

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I ordered the 5th gear conversion kit for my deuce today so I will be removing the transmission and get ready to change out the parts.
Just got done with mine...love the lower RPM and a little more MPH. PM me if you have questions the instructions on Tom's website are pretty spot on.

Ratchetop

Thank you for the support. I have been studying the instructions so it looks pretty straight forward. I ordered a pyrometer and turbo boost gage also so I can turn up the fuel to the desired setting. I'm going to order locking hubs after I do some more research before I make a purchase.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the support. I have been studying the instructions so it looks pretty straight forward. I ordered a pyrometer and turbo boost gage also so I can turn up the fuel to the desired setting. I'm going to order locking hubs after I do some more research before I make a purchase.
Not a problem brother. I need some locking hubs too. Just changed out from sprag TC to a Airshift so need to take some stress off the front axle. Just trying to stop running up the credit cards...

pitpawten

Picked up a 500 gal fuel tank a relative gave to me. Going to use it for diesel since all of our vehicles run off of diesel and now that we have the deuce. While prices are low I think I'll probably get some at a bulk rate.

The bed crane that the PO put together worked really great he even put needle bearings in it so that I can actually spin the crane around on under a full load.

Also undertook what was supposed to be about 2 hours of work to refurbish and install a replacement USAF blue passenger side window. Of course it turned into multiple hours as I had the wrong side plus rust issues etc.

Wound up refurbing the regulator and door latch as well. White lithium grease in an aerosol can works wonders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks