• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on leaving mine on for now. I put a cover I found for a Webber grill on it to keep out the elements until I can fab up a more mv looking cover.

rustystud

Very similar to what I used tD. Very efficient and easy to use. Looks like you battery compartment is the same as mine. I found that after a short time the spring holding up on of the D batteries wouldn't hold it up against the contact any more. A small bit of aluminum foil fixed that. And the little latch for the battery door seems failure prone, so a bit of duct tape secures that. I take my heater off when not needed, not sure how weather resistant it is. Once my enclosed deck/porch is done, it will shield it. Oh, and AA, it is propane powered and uses D batteries. I use a small one pound propane bottle, lasts almost a week with two people showering and dish washing.
What make and model is your heater ? Also where did you buy it ? Thanks.

camnite

used mine as a pace truck at the local dirt track. they want me back, and are offering free admission and food for any others

ps: make sure your transfer case lever is in gear!

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completed my dual front bumper shackles addition.

I think I'll tie the lower shackles to the upper ones with some 550 cord so they'll hang "upward".

The new, longer bolts I purchased were all too long but they were on clearance at Fastenal and the whole order, shipped, for less than $20. The regular price for the 11" or 12" long 5/8" rear bolt would have been over $17 just for one!

I was recently taught a very handy method for cutting down too-long bolts:

First, thread on a regular nut (I like using grade 8 nuts for this). Then cut the bolt to length (a metal cutting disk on a hand-held angle grinder makes this easy). Second, use a bench grinder to bevel/taper the bolt end. And finally, when you unthread the nut it'll clean up the bolt's threads on it's way off.

I trimmed the front bolts but they still were a hair too long so I just added a washer under the bolt head (the upper shackle pin still cleared). I have no excuse for my laziness here other than I wanted to be done with the project. I had already cut, beveled, painted the bare metal tip and applied anti-seize to them. I didn't feel like cleaning up the anti-seize, re-cutting/grinding and painting when a washer looked fine, and didn't interfere at all. I do try to take the extra time on my projects, but I am fine if my "corner-cutting" results in an item that wasn't strictly necessary and probably only helped.

Tip: use all metal lock nuts on the bottom or else you won't have the clearance to put in/remove the shackle pins.

I had to borrow a friend's air-hammer to pound out the original front bolts because they were rust-seized to the sleeves. I almost gave up on the project! So all the bolts (and even shackle pins) now have a coat of anti-seize on them.

2016-06-11 20.46.27.jpg 2016-06-11 16.43.01.jpg 2016-06-11 12.18.42.jpg 2016-06-11 12.19.10 HDR-2.jpg 2016-06-11 12.19.30.jpg 2016-06-11 12.39.00.jpg 2016-06-11 12.49.37.jpg 2016-06-11 15.45.06.jpg

In the 3rd and 4th pictures above, you can see the cut and drilled 1/4" thick spacer plate sitting on the flat base of the lower shackle mount. It matches the dimensions of the spacer welded to the top of the frame extension below the upper shackle mount so the mount will lie flat.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have I been using the Deuce for lately???

Uh.... for a workbench while working on the XM-818 5-Ton Tractor! :naner:

It's like the little guy holding the tools for the BIG guy's repair and restoration. The Deuce's tailgate is at just the right height for some of the parts-off detail work.

Last edited:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visited the COMVEC show in CT on Sat, and the MA Diesel Show on Sunday!20160611_084052.jpg, 20160612_095312.jpg
Always enjoy explaining to everyone the MASSTERS program! The Diesel Show guys love us mixed in with all the chrome! :-D

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two extra if anyone needs one. The fellow from eBay sends three different styles. His add says pick which one you want and give the other to a friend in need of one. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will gladly speak up for those two extra decals if no one else has already.
Both our Deuce and our XM-818 Tractor can use beautification.

Will PM address.

Thanks,
John

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint used in Europe in 1974 when Army went from OD to first Camo pattern! Also called the 7th Army Camo! https://sites.google.com/site/merdccamo/home/7tharmy

This is how we paint our trucks by hand in Germany in 1974, I had a volunteer crew in our company and we painted all our equipment over a 3 week period. One of the first units to complete the project. 122MT BN, E co!

So, I wanted my Deuce to look the same!

Lots of info on the net and in the paint forums?

Another Ahab

Paint used in Europe in 1974 when Army went from OD to first Camo pattern! Also called the 7th Army Camo! https://sites.google.com/site/merdccamo/home/7tharmy

This is how we paint our trucks by hand in Germany in 1974, I had a volunteer crew in our company and we painted all our equipment over a 3 week period. One of the first units to complete the project. 122MT BN, E co!
Did your unit get a ribbon for that, or something?

A pat on the back with a brick!?

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Army in the 70's no way, if fact I think we were invited to help other units, I was lucky, got another mission!! LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks