• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

I learned that the AT 1545 used on the A3 no longer has torque converter(s)(TC) or parts that go into the torque converters, available from Allison or re-manufacturers. Here I thought it was the tranny itself that was the real issue...noooooo....it's the torque converter that is not replaceable. I learned that the impeller hub welded in it is not available and that the seals put into my newly rebuilt tranny won't last long. I learned that some water may be in the TC and the water degrades the lock-up clutch...and since my fourth and reverse clutch's went into bits, probably left parts in the TC too. All in all...not a great day.

Here is my plan. Note I have a transmission shop that rebuilds torque converters to do a lot of the work here, splitting, putting on new inside clutch material, welding, balancing, while I get materials to put a sleeve on the input hub. I found people that are tops in Allison to search for parts...and found they are NOT available and all mods will be "special" or custom made (thus sleeve on the hub).

So tomorrow I order a foot piece of dom tubing and start the process of machining for the sleeve. I'll use 2.000" outside and .065 wall and at this point, plan to weld it on (or use permatex sleeve lock). I looked at a GM 400 that was sleeved because of the same problem.

If anyone knows of an M35A3 Allison AT1545 torque converter in new or good condition...please contact me.

Kaiser67M715

@wadefreedomvehicles
9 qts of oil If I remember correctly, does your truck still have the data tags? coolant capacity I know is 22 qts., like I said pretty sure it is 9gts for oil, I think I just used two 5 qt containers and had a little left over,

you'll need a little over 5 gallons of 80w90 gear oil for the axles and transmissions, think 7.5 gal was the total when I did it.

Last edited:

tobyS

Do you have a lathe yourself to handle that?
I have a machine shop that I use regularly with the capability. I have them make high security jail lock components that I have put in 2 jails with failing gearmotor systems...so I know their capability. He (the owner) needs some heavy electrical done (barter)...and/or a quote prior to starting. With the rarity of these, I don't have a too much choice. Tomorrow Consolidated is going to give me price for a custom made hub (which is a precision welded in part)...but I'm leaning toward a sleeve from dom tube (1040).

I'm going back to the place that rebuilds them tomorrow to see if they can do it all. About .032-033" off should give a tight fit, but not driven on.

Last edited:

rustystud

I learned that the AT 1545 used on the A3 no longer has torque converter(s)(TC) or parts that go into the torque converters, available from Allison or re-manufacturers. Here I thought it was the tranny itself that was the real issue...noooooo....it's the torque converter that is not replaceable. I learned that the impeller hub welded in it is not available and that the seals put into my newly rebuilt tranny won't last long. I learned that some water may be in the TC and the water degrades the lock-up clutch...and since my fourth and reverse clutch's went into bits, probably left parts in the TC too. All in all...not a great day.

Here is my plan. Note I have a transmission shop that rebuilds torque converters to do a lot of the work here, splitting, putting on new inside clutch material, welding, balancing, while I get materials to put a sleeve on the input hub. I found people that are tops in Allison to search for parts...and found they are NOT available and all mods will be "special" or custom made (thus sleeve on the hub).

So tomorrow I order a foot piece of dom tubing and start the process of machining for the sleeve. I'll use 2.000" outside and .065 wall and at this point, plan to weld it on (or use permatex sleeve lock). I looked at a GM 400 that was sleeved because of the same problem.

If anyone knows of an M35A3 Allison AT1545 torque converter in new or good condition...please contact me.
I knew they where getting scarce but I think there are a few places that will still rebuild the Torque Converters. Give "All Automatic" a call. Their number is 800-461-5396. They have the AT500 series converters for sell. As far as the seals go, they all should be available and of good quality. Many are the same as the TH400.

Thanks Kaiser67m715. It has been diffucult finding anything on it, especially since it was stripped of most of its data plates, but i totally forgot about checking the publications plate, i think that one still might be there. Thanks

tobyS

I knew they where getting scarce but I think there are a few places that will still rebuild the Torque Converters. Give "All Automatic" a call. Their number is 800-461-5396. They have the AT500 series converters for sell. As far as the seals go, they all should be available and of good quality. Many are the same as the TH400.
I'll check them out, thanks.

The tranny is fully rebuilt, ready to go. I bought AT545 parts which are readily available. There are 2 seals that have to be purchased separately for the 1545 (the front seal is one).

The truck only has 10k miles but the original owner tried to replace the tranny with a used one. It didn't work either. I don't know if the torque converter I have was from the old transmission he bought or what, but has about .020" wear on the input shaft, like a truck with high miles.

If I use that converter, the guys at Weller said it will leak (the new front seal) probably badly. So as far as seals Rusty, no problem, I have them installed ready to go. Its's the torque converter that appears to be lots older...and in need of repair or replacement now. I understand why he (the seller) didn't sent the OEM torque converter in the box with the rest of the tranny now.

tobyS

Give "All Automatic" a call. Their number is 800-461-5396.
Rusty, they are now owned by Transtar...who referred me to another Transtar company "Dacco inc." in Cookeville, Tennessee (800-443-2226).

Dacco said they could rebuild it with a triple clutch and make the front hub from a billet. They priced it and it was exceptionally reasonable.

Just to let anyone that may read this know, CVC Converters, Ohio, just got back with me and they can also rebuild this torque converter (with new billet hub).

Last edited:

tobyS

Cherry. A trac loader loading logs broke one board already. oops. My father in law milled the wood for me.
Cherry is not very strong and rots rather quickly. If one has a choice on wood, use white oak. I use poplar a lot when strength is not an issue. We broke the top board on my 817 too.

drivebymashing

It was free. I put two coats of wood sealer on it. Mainly did it for looks. Occasionally I do work it pretty hard. Ill go with white oak next go around. I hope it last at least 4 more years.

tobyS

It was free. I put two coats of wood sealer on it. Mainly did it for looks. Occasionally I do work it pretty hard. Ill go with white oak next go around. I hope it last at least 4 more years.

Your wood sealer should help to make it last a few years. Keeping it inside and not out in the weather will help too (or a cargo cover).
I like cherry. I had about 700 bf re-sawn to 3/8" for paneling and made some (interior- porch) shake shingles from it.

It looks nice but like everything else...real use (logs in your case) takes it's toll.

drivebymashing

I'm in the market for a cover and bows. It won't fit in my garage at home. It's not often I get several free loads of logs. I didn't have time to remove sides first. I wish I took the time now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks