• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

In the Southern Tier of New York where I am, black locust would be be a prime choice. Farmers have used it for fence posts for ever. There are still some fence lines around that were put in before WWII. It's plentiful and cheap in these parts. The old stand by for truck sides and trailer floors around here is white oak. White oak planks are the standard for lining the floors of heavy equipment trailers. Another common one here is also ash. Nearly as strong as oak and the boards will stay straight as an arrow.
That's it ! Black Locust ! I knew it had something to do with bugs ! I'll see if any is available here.

Kaiser67M715

my home town home depot sells red oak, but a couple towns over they don't, and then a couple towns over the other way, they sell white, not red...has to be a store thing, but I am sure they can order it for you.

Another Ahab

In the Southern Tier of New York where I am, black locust would be be a prime choice. Farmers have used it for fence posts for ever. There are still some fence lines around that were put in before WWII. It's plentiful and cheap in these parts. The old stand by for truck sides and trailer floors around here is white oak. White oak planks are the standard for lining the floors of heavy equipment trailers. Another common one here is also ash. Nearly as strong as oak and the boards will stay straight as an arrow.
The mid-Atlantic here is nearly cleaned out of all of our Ash because of infestation by that little Emerald Ash Borer; cleaned us all out.

But yeah, the Locust, the Red Oak, and White Oak are all good; all of them are typically used for post-and-rail fencing. One or the other of them shouldn't be hard to find.

tobyS

my home town home depot sells red oak, but a couple towns over they don't, and then a couple towns over the other way, they sell white, not red...has to be a store thing, but I am sure they can order it for you.
If it's not kept inside, red oak will rot where water can find an entry point, like bolt holes. And Home depot is the top price. It's also hard to get sealers to penetrate where water will find. White oak is the premium of the more "available" native woods, but if you let it weather, will give some splinters. Try Cole hardwoods in Logansport Indiana for kiln dried, cut to size and surfaced. It might be worth getting a group together and buying 500 or 1000 board feet or so, finished 3 or 4 sides. Ash is about half the price but like red oak, will rot if water can find a place to get through the finish. I like poplar, as it doesn't give splinters and will take some deep penetrating sealers and moderately resists rot. Once I used Brazilian ironwood for a fence and the splinters were extremely painful and unavoidable. I'm not sure, but would expect a similar splinter from Locus. I'm not sure how well locus takes finish, I think there are chemicals that bleed through. But it does last.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up my way, in winter snow... the mountain roads can be tricky! Chains are the only way for me in snow-n-ice!
Was just down at Sky Harbor and thoughts of cooler temps were the norm. ;-)
I'm with you there. Six months of the year I pray for cooler temps. The other six months I pray "Why can't it be this nice in the summer". I am happy The Lord brought us here though as there were no jobs in Colorado & there is ample work here. Besides, I wouldn't have met M35A2-AZ in Colorado & I wouldn't have such a beautiful Deuce.

rustystud

Well I went down to Home Depot today and they do not carry Red Oak. The only hard wood they do carry is White Oak. The problem with this Oak is it is made from smaller pieces glued together ! You can see the glue lines !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I went down to Home Depot today and they do not carry Red Oak. The only hard wood they do carry is White Oak. The problem with this Oak is it is made from smaller pieces glued together ! You can see the glue lines !
Contact some of your local CABINET MAKERS/SHOPS who MAKE there cabinetry. Politely explain your project so you aren't mistaken as a potential competitor, then ask them from where they source their hardwoods. They might even be able to mill the wood to your required dimensions at a reasonable price.

Another Ahab

I got enough whiskers to remember when you could get Redwood readily, even over here in D.C. The heartwood, too (that stuff was rot-proof).

That lumber would be native out your way, rustystud. But I'm guessing that all of that is long gone, and logged out now.

But, maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

tobyS

Do you know if it's waterproof glue? I doubt that it is. I think their (oak) wood is intended for indoor use only.

What are the size slats, I measure 3/4" by 3 x 12' on my fiberglass on the deuce and assume the 5 tons are 14' but same size. Is the wood different dimension?

I'm checking on inventory at Cole to see if 12' and 14' long is available in poplar and white oak and their cost to mill it to size. Will let you know results. I asked to price 200 bf.

Another Ahab

For the record, there is actually nothing "wrong" with that kind of board:

- It's just a way to make-up a full board out of scrap pieces of lumber. And depending on the jointing method and the glue used, those boards can be deceivingly strong.

But yeah, it doesn't look as nice as a board of solid lumber.

pjwest03

You might try Hemlock. Plenty of those and great for log cabins
Only if you can get it flat and already dried. Most of the hemlock boards that you get from a mill are green and very wet. Green hemlock boards twist and warp like crazy as they dry. Green hemlock will squirt you in the eye if you try to put a nail in it. It also can't really be painted until it dries. Hemlock is cheap, fairly weather resistant, and holds up well to the elements.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed rebuilt LDS-465-1A with modified transmission behind it (Waterloo OD). Replaced a hard brake line. Hooked everything up (clutch adjust, throttle adjust etc.)

First test drive today! Absolutely awesome! Some minor fixes to do, install fan and brush guard, adjust brakes and start breaking her in!

I'm in the pool with two beers typing this. I guess that says it all!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, my family has been in construction for several generations, but I still don't like them. Especially on something that is suppose to be exposed for it's beauty.
I agree completely. I stay away from them if I can. Nothing looks nicer that a full-length, milled board on the side. I need to renew my troop seats before Veterans Day. I get the honor to haul the local Vietnam Vets around in the parade again. I'm going to go with white oak. I think the PO used S4S dried #1 pine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks