• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Another Ahab

Cad models would be awesome! I haven't found anything like that either in my travels around SS.

Some guys use the 5" boards. Some have used the manufactured boards (decking) in the hopes that it won't weather like real wood. I have 12 foot, 9 x 1 boards here but they are pine. Not strong enough for people to be bouncing around on back there, but in my opinion strong enough for the other boards on the racks. That, and they aren't costing me anything to use. That's a big one.

I believe the "proper" replacement is White Oak boards. 1x3 if I measured right. Your choice whether you stain them, or paint them. Either way, I imagine they should be sealed up. Wood is not my "cup of tea" either. I'm an engine guy. I can't build anything out of wood to save my butt. This should be pretty easy though....right? haha
Here's one trick to the two board types:

- Your 1" boards of pine are likely only 3/4" thick, but

- Your typical !' oak board will be a full 1" (something known as 5/4 stock).

It's just a little twist of lumber standards in the U.S., and it means that those pine boards will be mighty easy to bust up if you go throwing stuff against them (but likely you won't be).

Depends where you buy your oak. Home depot 3/4, Hardwood suppler Around one inch if not planed.

I'm lucky enough to live 1/2 mile from Scottys hardwood and also Jerrys. (think Home depot) so I swing both ways depending if I want to play with the planer or not.

rustystud

Rusty,
Yes, you do good work.
Would be nice to see it in person.
Will you make it to the Chehalis event this weekend?
-Brian
I tried so hard to get the deuce ready but then the M1028 took a crap on me. Since we still plan to go RVing this summer
I had to spend all my time fixing it up. On the deuce I still don't have a rear window and just today I took a little spin with the truck and on the return I see my turbo is leaking oil out the exhaust. I'm right in the middle of adding a trailer electrical connection to the deuce so I can take my RV with me. I've run the wires and now I need to connect everything to the junction box and install the brake control module on the dash. I plan on making a install thread when I'm done.
So to answer your question, no I won't be making it to Napavine this year. I will be down there later this month for my family reunion at the Grange hall though.

Last edited:

tobyS

The bigger problem is finding white oak in long enough pieces. 12' (for a deuce) may not be too hard to find but 14' (for a 5 ton) will get harder. Grade lumber is usually not that long.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well its not so much as 'what did I do to my Deuce this week' but what I did for it this week.

I ordered a 60Ltr drum of gear oil for it, I may get the Deuce out this weekend and as long as it dose'nt snow like it has the last few days here I might get to take it for a joy ride.

And I may get to change the diff oil if the gear oil I ordered gets here in time.

I have a 60Ltr drum of engine oil ordered for 2 weeks from this weekend also.

Aussie.

SRB1976

Installed a new alternator again. Got sick of that POS 27si series overcharging so I bought a new Prestolite. The new one works great with no issues so far.[thumbzup]

IMG_20160715_172536059_HDR[1].jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you do a repair or rebuild, try giving the solenoid some taps with a hammer (not too hard) and see if that doesn't fix the problem. It's worked for me.

rustystud

Before you do a repair or rebuild, try giving the solenoid some taps with a hammer (not too hard) and see if that doesn't fix the problem. It's worked for me.
If you have to tap it to get the contacts to free up then you should just replace it as they will stick again. Once they start sticking you must replace the contact ring inside or just get a new one.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings All. This falls into a what I want to do with my Deuce so hopefully it is Ok here. When I picked up my Deuce, I mounted my new GoPro camera on the windshield with a suction cup mount. It stayed on, but the video is very bouncy. I've seen other videos that people have shot while driving their Deuces & it didn't look bad at all. Is there a better place to mount a camera in the cab or do I need to buy a steadycam unit to get smooth video?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced my master cylinder. Learned a few new cuss word combinations. Either they made that thing 1/16" too long or that's the first part in the assembly process and they built the truck around it. On a brighter note, made a pressure 1-man brake bleeder out of a cheap-o Horrible Freight weed sprayer and it worked like a charm. Got all kinds of crud out of my system. Glad I decided to bleed out all 6 wheels and the air pack. Bench bled the new MC, didn't really get any air into the system, but since I had the brake fluid out anyways what the heck better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Replaced my master cylinder. Learned a few new cuss word combinations. Either they made that thing 1/16" too long or that's the first part in the assembly process and they built the truck around it. On a brighter note, made a pressure 1-man brake bleeder out of a cheap-o Horrible Freight weed sprayer and it worked like a charm.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:funny:

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....

Then took my Deuce out for 5hrs to my old stomping ground.

Aussie.
Those are nice woods you're driving through, Aussie Bloke. None of those trees looks real old, but it might be deceiving because it's just so dry (and short growing seasons).

Wha't the story on the roads, are those all public and maintained by the State?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

None of those trees looks real old, but it might be deceiving because it's just so dry (and short growing seasons).
The smaller trees you see around where the old house was are trees that have grown since the Ash Wendsday fires in 82.
Only the bigger trees were there when the fires went through.

Wha't the story on the roads, are those all public and maintained by the State?
Yes they are either public access roads or forestry tracks.
About 40% of the tracks that were there when I lived there are now no longer maintained and have grown over as nature takes it back.
Just part of the subtle locking people out of the bush program I guess.

Aussie.

restlessrobie

I cleaned up a couple jerry cans with a fresh coat of paint and cleaned a sealed the interior. Work out very well and learned a few things in prep for the main fuel tank refresh.

20160716_192504.jpg

20160716_192453.jpg

rustystud

I was just out enjoying my deuce when I heard a really strange noise coming from the dash. Shortly after that my Tach started acting weird then just stopped working. So now I have joined the ranks of those with busted Tach cables. I already ordered a new one from "Eriks" . Has anyone ever installed an electronic Tach in a deuce ? It's a real pain in the A$$ to get that cable unplugged from the dash gauge and I'm not getting any younger ! I have to get a ladder and 2" X 12" board to lay on.

014.jpg015.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks