• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

nchittendon

I had to do this job finally. Wasn't a terrible job. Hardest part was finding the magical way to snake it out of there. Once I learned the secret, the job went quick. Simple mechanism, easy to repair. I clamped the tab and heated it so the entire "tab" end of it bends down from the start. For lack of a better word it's almost "sprung" now. Shouldn't have to repair it again because if it fails again, it'll probably be catastrophic.

Oh, and having my 9yo with little arms helping was key to it all.

14292344_10157619506670657_6606371723278747148_n.jpg

rustystud

Lots of nope. I turn into a screaming little girl when it comes to spiders. Snakes, scorpions, 400 pound linemen, not a care in the world. Put me near a spider, EEEEK just kill me now.

And for the record, in most "normal" groups i'm the "big guy."
Now see I can handle spiders all day long, but snakes ! NO WAY !!!! I hate snakes with an unnatural hatred ! My brother is the total opposite. He'll pick-up rattlesnakes and shake them to get them to rattle at him for fun ! For those who don't know Eastern Washington has tons of rattlesnakes. Did I say how I hate snakes ?!?!?!

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I hate snakes with an unnatural hatred ! My brother is the total opposite. He'll pick-up rattlesnakes and shake them to get them to rattle at him for fun ! For those who don't know Eastern Washington has tons of rattlesnakes. Did I say how I hate snakes ?!?!?!

I used to catch snakes around the house when I was a teenager and for extra money used to take them to get milked for their venom. Ah,.. the good o'l days,...

Aussie.

Another Ahab

Lots of nope. I turn into a screaming little girl when it comes to spiders. Snakes, scorpions, 400 pound linemen, not a care in the world. Put me near a spider, EEEEK just kill me now.

And for the record, in most "normal" groups i'm the "big guy."
That's funny, because my brother is the same way. He was a bigger snake catcher than me, he'd dive on anything. But I also thought that spiders were cool, and he couldn't tolerate them. He'd spook completely, and couldn't even get near them. I got plenty of mileage out of that; it gave me lots of leverage for messing with him. :)

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

I used to catch snakes around the house when I was a teenager and for extra money used to take them to get milked for their venom. Ah,.. the good o'l days,...

Aussie.
Your just like my brother in that way then. Though he didn't do it for money just fun ! and to terrorize me ! Which I'm sure was fun for him !

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Aussie.
A good buddy of mine used to catch rattlesnakes and turn them over to one of the local colleges in San Diego, to be milked for anti venom. If the college was closed, he would keep the rattlers in 20mm ammo cans with holes drilled in the top for ventilation. He would then keep the cans in his bedroom. This all worked well until one day his mom came in to make his bed, and the cans started rattling. All we heard was Laaaaaaarry, get those dam snakes outta here!!!!!!!! Not too long after that, my buddy Larry was in the USMC and on his way to Viet Nam.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just a side note for everyone, the special fitting (three-way) on the Injector pump is steel so don't let it rust on you ! I could not find a replacement for it. I tried all the fitting places and even called as far as New York state to try and find one. It really is a "one off" fitting.
Your talking about the one the oil lines attach to?

tobyS

Got the A3 on the road today for the first time. It had a tire that would not stay up. The tranny shifts as good as any truck I've had and it has a lot of acceleration. I wondered about the transfer case, but it goes into both high and low and stays there. But man is it noisy, they took the muffler out and lowered the stack pipe down. I have a new OE muffler but not the mounts (the one part comes from the door frame). If anyone has a muffler mount/support, please pm me.

I read a post about painting that applies. The OP said his looked like it was painted with a cat tied on a stick. Mine does too. In fact the bed is green under the back canvas, even on the outside. They didn't even lift the cover to paint under it. Must have been in a hurry or the cat got away.

Pictures soon...the truck is up for sale, being replaced with a 929.

I have troop seats and bows and bought a NOS tan rear cover from Gimpyrobb. The troop seats are fiber and green, the rest tan. Should I paint the troop seats tan or leave them green? How about the bed inside, leave it green or paint it tan like the outside?

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Replaced the original fuel pump with a Parker in-tank retrofit. Seems to work ok now. Had to move the entire (full) fuel tank for access (at least on my M109, not sure about the cargo bed M35s)

For these trucks to have been used in combat service overseas, they sure weren't designed very well for working on. The fuel pump access hole should be 1/2' OD bigger and the fuel pump should be removable without having to undo the tank straps and moving the fuel tank. The designers should be the ones working on them (same with vehicles today)

tobyS

Replaced the original fuel pump with a Parker in-tank retrofit. Seems to work ok now. Had to move the entire (full) fuel tank for access (at least on my M109, not sure about the cargo bed M35s)

For these trucks to have been used in combat service overseas, they sure weren't designed very well for working on. The fuel pump access hole should be 1/2' OD bigger and the fuel pump should be removable without having to undo the tank straps and moving the fuel tank. The designers should be the ones working on them (same with vehicles today)
Then came the A3...design by committee. Take what worked and make it complex. Like a one of a kind locking torque converter on the Allison (which is not an insurmountable problem).

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hooked up my m105 for the first time and played around with it. Had to redo a few things to get my shower pan to fit. Modified my a/c and reinstalled.
Looks good TD! I see you set up the AC for an outside air intake for the condenser. Better that way. I didn't do that, enough air leaks to compensate for it. :(

Kaiser67M715

Got a chance to test out my reverse/auxilary lights last night, Pictures do NOT do them justice; I could see all the bushes lining the other side of the road, like 150+ feet away, them suckers are bright, I don't do a whole lot of night driving with the truck, but there are those times when I do wish I had extra light. Going to have to mount a couple either up front or off the mirror arms for forward light.

1985 gmc pics 019.jpg1985 gmc pics 016.jpg1985 gmc pics 018.jpg1985 gmc pics 017.jpg

I also broke both return springs for the clutch and brake pedals...in the same trip...so used some short bungees to keep tension on them so they weren't dragging all the way home, which was luckily only about 20 miles.

Another Ahab

Hooked up my m105 for the first time and played around with it. Had to redo a few things to get my shower pan to fit. Modified my a/c and reinstalled.
The rig looks real good with the m105 in tow, theeDIZ; real fine!

What are you hauling in the trailer, is that the linen closet?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks