• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

18operator

IMG_0828.jpgIMG_0833.jpgIMG_0834.jpg
Finished adding a egt gauge and boost gauge with thermocouples. Fabricated a gauge pod to go on the steering column.
I went to give the truck a run and my flame heater started to leak fuel. So it got bypassed. No more fuel leak!

Another Ahab

Nice gauge "pod"; I'm not familiar with the flame heater:

- What's the connection between the pic on the far left and the pic on the far right, are those both separate components of the flame heater?
As soon as I posted and looked at the two pics together I figured it out:

- I can see the area with the two zerk-like fittings behind the device you used for the by-pass; got it!

What did you do to plug the two "zerks"?

one I.jpg one II.jpg

Last edited:

18operator

First pic is the exhaust manifold where I drilled and tapped for the thermocouples. I removed the turbocharger to do the drilling. So no drill filings would destroy the turbo.
I also resealed the exhaust. The last pic is part of the flame heater that squirts fuel in the intake for the flame heater.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The left pic is the exhaust mani with 2 ports put in it for thermocouples. The right pic is the injector nozzle for the flame heater system.

Whoops too late!

Kaiser67M715

Helping out the boss man, unloaded 400 Christmas trees, put 50 in the truck to move to his tree farm on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

all i had on hand was some 400 psi oil cooler line, it may hold up better but not sure how much, will be keeping tabs on it, might even toss a short piece in the basket filter to see how it ages without removing the pump assy as it just barely clears the 109 box

Unless the hose is "submersion" rated it will fail. The outer layers of almost all hoses are usually made of rubber. This rubber deteriorates due to constant immersion in the fuel. Once the outer layer of hose is destroyed it takes out the fiber reinforcement then the inner lining cannot hold the pressure and leaks. Since this is one of these "pain in the butt" jobs, it pays to do it right the first time. You'll never know where you will be when the fuel line gives way and your stranded. I personally like to be able to depend on my truck.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

My other package I picked up today, it arrived a few days ago,....

It contains my 2 sets of new windscreen seals and 2 sets of new wiper blades.

Thanks TMG's
:)

Aussie.

18operator

IMG_0835.jpg
Finally got to run my truck with the new gauges.
Turbo boost was up to 5 psi. And the egt was up to 850 degrees F at full throttle up hill in 4th gear.

brianp454

View attachment 655638
Finally got to run my truck with the new gauges.
Turbo boost was up to 5 psi. And the egt was up to 850 degrees F at full throttle up hill in 4th gear.
That is consistent with my observations and the info on the JA Tonka site. After bypassing the FDC I see up to about 14-15psi boost and EGT's can go much higher if I am not careful. Good luck and enjoy the extra power if you make mods.

Chateau Marquis

Thanks to GimpyRobb's advice, I took out the 24v magnetic starter relay, cleaned the contacts, flipped over the metal disc and it works like new. I no longer need to use a hammer as my start button by tapping the relay while someone else pushes the button.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks