• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Yarz

So I noticed in your vid that you get smoke coming out from under the truck/from under the hood when starting...and it continued to smoke. I have the same issue, but can't really pinpoint it. (Deep under everything, near the passenger center of the engine)

Do you have an idea why your's smokes like that?
Maybe the slobber tube? Or a hole in the J-pipe (mine was rusted through badly when I bought it)?

onemanarmy

Mines not the J pipe.

It smokes pretty bad up from the middle of the engine at start up, and the smoke smells different (more of a burning smell than exhaust) but kind of clears up once warm, but still puffs smoke when you get up in the RPMs.

Don't think its the slobber tube, as the smoke come straight up from deep down on the engine on the passenger side.

texas30cal

Fixed my fuel sending unit!!! A dip in lacquer thinner to remove the tar like substance, some gun brushes, spray gun cleaning brushes, cleaned the grounding points and it's good as new��

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I've got this truck I'm getting ready to sell. And I needed to rewind the cable since someone in a motor pool wound it backwards. And I needed to inspect the cable for kinks and damage and service it (lubricate it).

It takes a lot of room to unspool 200'! So I parked it in the front yard and ran it through the snatch block on my other truck.

20161230_165714.jpg20161230_172540.jpg20161230_171215.jpg20161230_171211.jpg20161230_171208.jpg20161230_171157.jpg20161230_170200.jpg20161230_165747.jpg20161230_165740.jpg20161230_173941.jpg

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

So what did you use to lubricate the cable?

Used engine oil perhaps?

After looking at your first pic it looks like your using some kind of cable grease,...?

Aussie.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier this year I did the m35-Tom 0.69 5th gear upgrade. Unfortunately didn't change the synchro or bearings. Big mistake as I had to drop it again during thanksgiving break for slipping out of 5th. After many emails back and forth to Tom, 2 new mainshaft bearings, and a new 4th/5th synchro, it drives like a dream. Just got her all out back together today. My New Years resolution is to not have to drop the tranny again in 2017! Yee-haw 65mph never get so good! Also rigged up some reverse lights from TMG while I was there. Did sort of a "poor-mans-no machining required" version of the peashooter/Gringletaube invention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
G'day everyone,....

So what did you use to lubricate the cable?

Used engine oil perhaps?

After looking at your first pic it looks like your using some kind of cable grease,...?

Aussie.
It looks like old motor oil; what was it you used to lube the cable?
The Lube Order for the M44 series is confusing to me; it seems to call for both OE/HDO with is effectively engine oil and CW lube, which is chain and wire lube, which I assume in the civilian world would cross over to chainsaw oil................ (guessing).

I unspool the rope, inspect it, then take a brass bristle brush and clean it. Once it's clean and deemed serviceable, I have a funny oval shaped pan I bought at a flea market years ago, I pour about 5 gallons of the cheapest oil I can find in it and I run the wire rope through it, submersing it. I do this so the fiber core can get completely immersed and soak in the oil.

I then let it sit overnight and then I coat the exterior of the cable with a moly grease from Napa, although it's a generic brand.

Not sure if this is right, but I've been doing it 10 years without issue.

The wire ropes on these trucks require maintenance-especially since I'd wager less than 5% of deuces are stored indoors. I've seen soooo many trucks come out of surplus rusty. On the truck pictured above, it had some surface rust so I soaked the rope in Ospho, which is a rust neutralizer.

These ropes are expensive. The cheapest I have been able to buy the correct rope is $3.60 a foot.................. so multiply $3.60 times 200........ and then add the correct Esmet end you'll need to transfer your chain off your old rope onto your new rope. I think by the time you pay shipping on the rope, buy the rope, buy the termination and ship it, you're going to be close to a grand in a new one, so it pays to service the one you have, if it isn't beyond hope.

I do this once a year on my truck.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Stripped some parts off from my recently acquired 1966 m275a2. One of the quarter fenders and probably the fuel tank will eventually end up on my m59 dump truck that is being fixed up and converted from a gasser to a multifuel. Today we removed the rotten cab with the help of the m756a2 and m37; the engine/transmission made it out of the frame as well. The front axle will probably come out in the next day or two. I think I'll leave the frame/rear axles together for the time being so if no one buys the tractor pieces it could be restored with the help of a donor truck.
IMG_3412.jpgIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3446.jpgIMG_3447.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3449.jpgIMG_3450.jpgIMG_3451.jpg

Another Ahab

The wire ropes on these trucks require maintenance-especially since I'd wager less than 5% of deuces are stored indoors. I've seen soooo many trucks come out of surplus rusty. On the truck pictured above, it had some surface rust so I soaked the rope in Ospho, which is a rust neutralizer.
Where can you pick up the Ospho; is that a NAPA item?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks