• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Doesn't ospho contain a type of acid? How will it affect the fiber core that I've heard of inside these cables?
I don't know to be perfectly honest.

I will say this-I still have the wire rope on my first winch, I bought 11 years ago and it was treated in 2006 or 2007 and when I work the winch hard and the cable gets tight, it still squeezes grease out of the fiber core, so....................... I don't know how much of a conclusion to draw from that. Soon I'll be replacing that cable and when I do, I'll cut it open and see how the core looks. That cable is just about t the end of it's service life.

If a wire rope is rusty but otherwise good (no kinks, flat spots, unwinding, barbed wire, separation, etc.) I don't think you have a lot of choice. You can't wire wheel 200' of cable and even if you had that much vacation time stored up, you wouldn't get rid of all the corrosion. I think in this instance, risking some deterioration to the fiber core is worth it.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Treat it like an acid, which it basically is. No skin contact, breathing of spray or vapors, no eye contact. And don't spill on anything, including concrete. Good stuff, but respect it.
Yeah, no concrete contact! Turns it to dust on slightest impact with a hard object afterward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the purpose for the fiber core?
I think it's to "store" lubricant and when the cable is stretched it sort of greases the cables. I think. Not a wire/rope expert.

EDIT: I see Valence answered this with something that sounds more credible than my guess.

Last edited:

jking615

Is that some new kind of meditation you got going?!
Practically is. I have started a sand processing plant in my garage to dry the wet sand I have. Florida doesn't seem to understand my need for a dry week to work, so it keeps trying to wet all my sand. And before anyone says Mesothelioma, don't worry, I got my proper respirator. I actually just keep filtered air on tap instead of filter elements. I have a bunch of old scuba equipment and a dive compressor that I walk around in when sandblasting.

rustystud

I sat indoors staring at the exhaust manifold while it rained like crazy
Well I like to get on my "creeper" and roll under the truck and sleep. Actually I'm looking at all the "potential" projects on the truck. It just looks like I'm sleeping at least my wife thinks I'm sleeping, maybe I am sleeping !

jking615

Well I like to get on my "creeper" and roll under the truck and sleep. Actually I'm looking at all the "potential" projects on the truck. It just looks like I'm sleeping at least my wife thinks I'm sleeping, maybe I am sleeping !
I am so done with this florida weather, I have to replace both boots, and I am going with non zippers so I can see how the innards look... but first I need to replace all my oil and coolant, all diff fluids, and replace almost all the original wiring.

Before any of that though, I need to finish putting the manifolds on and crank the darned thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks