• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I repaired a leaking fuel line on my M35A3 and replaced both belts. These were the original belts since they had yellow paint on them from CAT and I should have replaced them much earlier. Fuel line repair was no problem - took about an hour working slow. Replacing the two belts was a real PITA! The belt tensioner on the serpentine belt was stuck, but penetrating oil and a lot of working it back and forth helped free it up. The real pain was the V belt. Both bolts holding the tensioner were frozen in place and very difficult to get to. Even with a lot of penetrating oil it was very difficult to free them up. I was very concerned that they might break off, which would really have been bad. They are only 5/16 inch bolts, way to small for the application. They finally came free. Replacing the belts should have taken about 30 minutes instead of the 4 hours it really took. For other A3 owners, the NAPA numbers for the belts are 25-070644 for the serpentine belt and 25-9345 for the V-belt.

Attachments

FarmerRob

I don't want to drive mine that far, let alone tow another truck behind, with a trailer! :not worthy:
Lol. I really didn't want to either but it was better than paying to have my vehicles shipped. The long trip was made worse by the fact that it was January, we hit a 2-day blizzard as soon as we picked up in IL and the temp didn't get above 20° until about the last 3 hours of a 3 day trip. And the 813 didn't have a heater. 1200 miles driving in a snow suit, giant boots, ski hat and mittens. It sucked.

rustystud

Lol. I really didn't want to either but it was better than paying to have my vehicles shipped. The long trip was made worse by the fact that it was January, we hit a 2-day blizzard as soon as we picked up in IL and the temp didn't get above 20° until about the last 3 hours of a 3 day trip. And the 813 didn't have a heater. 1200 miles driving in a snow suit, giant boots, ski hat and mittens. It sucked.
Yes it sucked, but now you have a great story to tell ! Just like the time my best friend and I wanted to see the new "Dirty Harry" movie at the Valley Drive-In. It was below freezing (about 15 F) and when it came time to go home the battery was dead ! We had to walk to a pay phone and call my friends dad to come and rescue us. It took two hours and by the time he got there we where frozen inside. I wrote "Ice Patrol" on his windshield and it actually etched the glass ! It was there until the day he sold the car. I forgot to mention that neither one of us had brought a coat. After all his car had a good heater. I never experienced such could in my life until I was at "Fort Knox" going to tank school in the Marines. See, a great story ! You just have to suffer a little bit for it.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I have just gotten back from where I have my Deuce stored.
As you know last time it wouldn't start, melted the battery terminal post.
I installed new brass terminal clamps and a new battery.
I pressed the start button and "CLICK"!

Again it wouldn't start.
I removed and cleaned the earth where its bolted to the frame, it was a bit corroded.
Still no Start!

I will have to go back and check the connections at the starter motor next.
I was there for 1.5 hrs.

Aussie is feeling just a little sad,..... :-(

I was really hoping to get to replacing the lower radiator hose this long weekend.
sigh,....

Aussie.

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....
I was there for 1.5 hrs.

I was really hoping to get to replacing the lower radiator hose this long weekend.
sigh,....

Aussie.
Sorry you hit a little bad luck, Aussie Bloke,

Maybe pull up your favorite chair, and crack yourself a Fosters.

Tomorrow is another day!

tobyS

On my A3, they have a short ground wire from the starter to the frame. That frame connection was my problem recently. Good luck.

skidder

Fired up the big dog an went fishing an got 3 nice trout an had a nice cigar while I was fishing an stopped for coffee on the way back home Skidder

TsgtB

Put new hub seals on a leaking rear wheel, went pretty easy.
Getting ready to order J pipe and flex and EGT and boost gauges.
Greased door latches and handles while I had greasy fingers.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

I have just gotten back from where I have my Deuce stored.
As you know last time it wouldn't start, melted the battery terminal post.
I installed new brass terminal clamps and a new battery.
I pressed the start button and "CLICK"!

Again it wouldn't start.
I removed and cleaned the earth where its bolted to the frame, it was a bit corroded.
Still no Start!

I will have to go back and check the connections at the starter motor next.
I was there for 1.5 hrs.

sigh,....

Aussie.
Check your solenoids. Battery problems usually cause a bunch of resistance and arcing on the contacts, so the copper gets burnt and you get that click you speak of. If so take it apart and flip over the contractors. Or clean them up good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

Check your solenoids. Battery problems usually cause a bunch of resistance and arcing on the contacts, so the copper gets burnt and you get that click you speak of. If so take it apart and flip over the contractors. Or clean them up good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. The solenoid is mounted on the engine block just above the starter. Check for loose cables and such and burnt wiring under the connectors. If you pull back on the connector and the wire is discolored then it is more then likely burnt or corroded.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try next time, I was going to be at that end next, I doubted it would be the battery isolation switch as I have good power everywhere else.

Aussie.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1566.JPGDSCF1569.JPGDSCF1571.JPGDSCF1572.JPGDSCF1573.JPGDSCF1574.JPG About a week ago I started the winch installation on my Deuce. The winch, PTO, and driveshaft have been rebuilt, and the other parts except the bumper have been prepped, sandblasted and primed. This is my first winch installation so I'm taking it slow and easy, and leaning on the TMs. I installed new data plates and a little woodland green paint on the winch top support. I have some sanding and painting to do on the winch and a couple other parts before they're ready for installation. The PTO is new, but it must have sat for a long time as the rubber boots were crumbling, so the PTO was cleaned, checked, and new boots and seals were installed. The winch cable and hook look to be in good shape and are lightly greased. When I purchased the winch, it was still attached to the bumper and supports. The seller had just torch cut the frame right at the radiator, and shipped the whole assembly on a pallet (he was smart). It took me several days and a can of penetrating oil to get through all the rust, so I could get things disassembled, and get the winch off to the rebuilder. The amount of rust and paint on everything was hard to believe, I had a hard time getting my impact sockets on the bolt heads and nuts due to all the paint. I may start assembling the supports this weekend time and weather permitting (It snowed here Mon & Tues). I will also try to remember to take some pics as I go.

tobyS

Aussie....looks like time to try a jumper wire from battery positive to starter solenoid. Good luck.

Have you cleaned the starter to frame ground wire (both ends)?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The switches go bad, have you pulled the plug off the back and tried jumping it with a wire? Also, the starter relays get burnt spots in them. Take it apart and hit it with some emery cloth, or even turn the disk up-side-down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks