• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a Donaldson 70050 and had it installed:

20170819_102515.jpg20170819_102524.jpg

The effect of the muffler is noticeable, I have a D turbo and you could before speak loudly in the cab and be heard now you can almost do it at a normal speaking voice, at least at idle. Most of the noise now is engine noise.

Later that day I went on a road trip:

20170819_112546.jpg20170820_100704.jpg20170820_112324.jpg

Approximately 1050 miles round trip to Crater Lake to meet up with 2 friends. Broke up the driving 2 days each way. Put a futon mattress in the back and a 2 man tent on top of that then threw in pillows and blankets. The tent was mostly to keep out mosquitoes. On the way down/back I would stop at rest stops and spend the night (most rest stops have an 8 hour limit in my area). Got a little over 9 mpg and could keep it at 60 mph on the freeway, both of which I credit to the super singles (prior to, I got 8 mpg and couldn't get above 54 mph). The warning sign in the first pic is about heavy traffic on the day of the eclipse. Second pic is a shot of Diamond Lake, near to Crater Lake.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1752.jpg Another WD-40 rubdown. Trying to get ready for the MVCC Sept. meet at Lodi. The front is done, and hope to finish the bed today. Early next year, I hope to repaint it with Behr paint. Also I hope to have an aluminum awning over the driveway to protect the new paint. We're at 4330ft here, and the ultraviolet, along with the heat, fade a paint job in no time.

DavidWymore

View attachment 696353 Another WD-40 rubdown. Trying to get ready for the MVCC Sept. meet at Lodi. The front is done, and hope to finish the bed today. Early next year, I hope to repaint it with Behr paint. Also I hope to have an aluminum awning over the driveway to protect the new paint. We're at 4330ft here, and the ultraviolet, along with the heat, fade a paint job in no time.
How long does the WD last?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 696353 Another WD-40 rubdown. Trying to get ready for the MVCC Sept. meet at Lodi. The front is done, and hope to finish the bed today. Early next year, I hope to repaint it with Behr paint. Also I hope to have an aluminum awning over the driveway to protect the new paint. We're at 4330ft here, and the ultraviolet, along with the heat, fade a paint job in no time.
Looks very nice!

How do you handle driving your truck to Lodi? Do you have more than a regular driver license? (I've read California requires a greater licensing for 3-axle rigs, even if your license is perfectly fine in the state you're from.)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Tracer. I am going to the NRG Gridley meet. in Sept. I did not reserve a spot at Lodi. May come for a day. If we go Ill look for ya.
Alan, I'll be at space 161 next to Sonny Hanson & Jim Porterfield. JoAnn got all us older folks close to the latrine and showers.[thumbzup]

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very nice!

How do you handle driving your truck to Lodi? Do you have more than a regular driver license? (I've read California requires a greater licensing for 3-axle rigs, even if your license is perfectly fine in the state you're from.)
Valence, I have a CDL, so I don't remember all the requirements of the State of California. I think, it's a combination of vehicle weight, and the type of brakes, air or hydraulic. I have several friends in California who drive their Deuces with a regular drivers license. Maybe some of our California members can chime in on this subject, or you can contact the CHP, they'll know for sure.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long does the WD last?
Depending on the weather, I get about a month to a month and a half. Hot, and or rainy weather will wash or burn off the WD-40 quicker. I got most of the bed done today, and hope to finish it tomorrow. Usually it takes a couple hours to do the complete truck, but lately the weather has been about 95-100 degrees so I do a little every day. It's a cheap way to get the color back.

tobyS

Tracer, I think there is silicone in wd-40 so be sure and let it wear off completely before painting. I don't know for sure about the Behr acrylic but most paints orange peel if there is even a small amount of silicone.

Try using used synthetic motor oil on the tires, apply liberally and wipe off....they will like it. It seems to go in the very small weather cracks and swell the rubber just enough to close them so mud doesn't stay there.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Monday of this week I went to see the upholsterer and found out the manufacturer is doing a run on the canvas I am having the seats covered in this week.

The upholsterer will have a roll of the material early next week and my seats done by end of next week. I am going to collect them that weekend!

Oh and he found the missing seat back!

Can't wait to get my Deuce interior put back together.

Aussie.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, I have a CDL, so I don't remember all the requirements of the State of California. I think, it's a combination of vehicle weight, and the type of brakes, air or hydraulic. I have several friends in California who drive their Deuces with a regular drivers license. Maybe some of our California members can chime in on this subject, or you can contact the CHP, they'll know for sure.
No CDL needed in CA for a deuce. Unless you're using it for commercial purposes, such as having a business logo on the door, etc. unless you have full air brakes and under 26001 lbs you're fine. I could daily drive mine if I wanted to with a regular license. Most cops wave at me and give me thumbs up anyways. Even with a 5T registered as historic (+25 years old) you're fine without a CDL. Just drive smart and don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself and they'll leave you alone, as with everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....

Monday of this week I went to see the upholsterer and found out the manufacturer is doing a run on the canvas I am having the seats covered in this week.

The upholsterer will have a roll of the material early next week and my seats done by end of next week. I am going to collect them that weekend!

Oh and he found the missing seat back!
There you go, Aussie Bloke, there are good days and bad days and your turn came up now for the GOOD days! :beer:

Seth_O

No CDL needed in CA for a deuce. Unless you're using it for commercial purposes, such as having a business logo on the door, etc. unless you have full air brakes and under 26001 lbs you're fine.

Thats very different from what the DMV told me :(. When I spoke with them I was told that anything (unless designated RV - which requires very specific attributes) with 3+ axles requires at least a Class B commercial license - regardless of brake type or weight. Its one of the reasons I bobbed my deuce, I wasnt interested in having to get & maintain a class b. This was several years ago, so maybe things have changed?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, I think there is silicone in wd-40 so be sure and let it wear off completely before painting. I don't know for sure about the Behr acrylic but most paints orange peel if there is even a small amount of silicone.

Try using used synthetic motor oil on the tires, apply liberally and wipe off....they will like it. It seems to go in the very small weather cracks and swell the rubber just enough to close them so mud doesn't stay there.
Thanks Toby, I'll remember that. I don't want to repaint again for awhile. The drop sides on my bed need some attention due to load shifting dents. I would like to remove them for painting and repair, along with turn signals, warning lights, air cleaner etc. etc.. Then a good sanding and paint......then the M105A2.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a thread for this somewhere? I only live an hour or so from Lodi, but somehow I miss this meet-up every year :(
Seth, Major Asstyrd has a thread on the Tower Park gathering. It's Sept. 18-24 at Tower Park. Also check the MVCC website for more info. Most sellers will show up on Thursday the 21st.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats very different from what the DMV told me :(. When I spoke with them I was told that anything (unless designated RV - which requires very specific attributes) with 3+ axles requires at least a Class B commercial license - regardless of brake type or weight. Its one of the reasons I bobbed my deuce, I wasnt interested in having to get & maintain a class b. This was several years ago, so maybe things have changed?
You can probably ask 10 different, grumpy, underpaid DMV clerks the same questions and get 10 different answers. I asked this question to a good former client of mine, who is a DOT officer in CA. The way the law is written, and it only comes down to one, 3-letter word..."and". And realistically any judge in traffic court can't argue with it.

CDL requirements come down to this: any driver of a vehicle that transports property or people for hire (commercial purposes)

AND

Has 3 axles
Has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs

Ect ect.

Historic plates PROHIBIT the driver from doing the above with the said vehicle. So unless you're using your historic plates vehicle to do the above, yeah, you're breaking the law, and misusing your vehicle as lawfully intended, shame on you you need regular commercial plates (like a CA pickup truck needs to have) and need to get a CDL. You can get your truck impounded and towed and fined and you will be raked over the CA coals set forth by our wonderful left wing legislators...a very bad day.

But if you do things right, don't do the above, drive your historic plated MV of 3(+) axles weighing 26001 lbs or less, less than your 2500 miles per year, follow the rules of the road, don't put your business logos all over it, ect, ect, you don't need a CDL.

Doesn't hurt to have a CDL just in case, and even a non-commercial class A/B, just to please the LEO that pulls you over one day for a broken taillight and starts sniffing around your truck, looking for something because you pissed him off. But it's not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks