• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

I agree with you Frank that copper based is best. I used to have some, but some of the bolts and nuts I took off today had the silver stuff and they came apart after years of being bathed with Pennsylvania "Truck Destroyer, Granular". From here on in I'll refer to it as simply PTDG. The copper based would blend in better with my clothing and home decor though.

orrisd4

Been stuck in restoration pergotory last couple of years, installing all stainless fuell system with an fitting , going with hardlines and ptfe hard crimp stainless fuel lines. Replacing all the old plastic return lines with .25 stainless hardlines , and finishing up with the rocker panel replacement

Dipstick

Been stuck in restoration pergotory last couple of years, installing all stainless fuell system with an fitting , going with hardlines and ptfe hard crimp stainless fuel lines. Replacing all the old plastic return lines with .25 stainless hardlines , and finishing up with the rocker panel replacement
Very interesting. That's a lot of work running hard lines. I'd really like to see some photos of your rocker panel replacement. I will have to do mine next Spring. I know you can buy weld in replacement panels. How did you do yours?

orrisd4

Very interesting. That's a lot of work running hard lines. I'd really like to see some photos of your rocker panel replacement. I will have to do mine next Spring. I know you can buy weld in replacement panels. How did you do yours?
I cut out the rotted section and started cleaning up with a flapper disk , I made a new reinforcement out of 3in 1/8th wall box tubing. And I just need to weld er all up , and yes the hard lines are about half annoying, but they will pay off

Dipstick

Orrisd, Thank you for your explanation. I'll be contemplating that next Spring. I'm thinking about new fenders too. The area behind the front tires ( like the floor boards and channels ) must be a real problem on Deuces. The front tires just sling all of the TDG right up in there. There's nothing to prevent it and I hose down my truck after it's salt baths. I'm working on my floor boards now. Two winters ago we had 18 snowstorms. I had to drive my Deuce through almost all of them. Good luck with your work! I live in Effort PA in the Poconos by the way. There's another Steel Soldier about 15 miles North of me.

orrisd4

Orrisd, Thank you for your explanation. I'll be contemplating that next Spring. I'm thinking about new fenders too. The area behind the front tires ( like the floor boards and channels ) must be a real problem on Deuces. The front tires just sling all of the TDG right up in there. There's nothing to prevent it and I hose down my truck after it's salt baths. I'm working on my floor boards now. Two winters ago we had 18 snowstorms. I had to drive my Deuce through almost all of them. Good luck with your work! I live in Effort PA in the Poconos by the way. There's another Steel Soldier about 15 miles North of me.
Poconos eh ? Juniata County myself

dmetalmiki

I use dot4 in everything. have done since the 1950s..no problems whatsoever.
I ordered new brake nipples today, with longer stronger bodies to get a decent wide shoulder spanner on.
Today I took time off..and rest..err..After hitting my gymnasium!,,.
AHH! NOW I feel better.

Dipstick

Yup, I use Dot 5 in my Deuce. That is some really good stuff. Seems to bleed easily and doesn't attract water. Leaves paint alone too. I'm just painting nuts and bolts today in 383 OD green for installation on Brutus. I still haven't been able to get the 12" x 24" 16 ga. sheet of steel I need to finish Brutus' floor repair. You know those chain hardware stores make me spit bullets. There's a place in the rack for it, but they never actually have any. They have to order it. I'm 67. I hope I see it before I croak. Not to mention that if you need six of something they only have two. Auto parts places are just as bad. Sorry for whining, but these places really light my fuse.

18operator

Got my new windows yesterday. Boy, are they beautiful! I'm kind of scared to install them, but I may try it today. I sure wish I had my son "soldier B" around to help me. An extra pair of hands would be helpful. View attachment 812468
Don't fret too much. They're pretty easy to remove and install. I did mine myself, just took my time. You'll do great!

Dipstick

Thanks for the encouragement 18! I know they're simple, but I just worry about dropping one while I'm try with the other hand to put the leaf hinge screws in. I already have the leaf hinges on the window frames. Can you install the leaf hinges first and then connect the individual windows to their hinges? Plus, the wind is howling out here today and I don't have anyone to help me or hold the window while I screw. I would appreciate your thoughts on the hinge install procedure. How did you do it and in what order?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yup, I use Dot 5 in my Deuce. That is some really good stuff. Seems to bleed easily and doesn't attract water. Leaves paint alone too. I'm just painting nuts and bolts today in 383 OD green for installation on Brutus. I still haven't been able to get the 12" x 24" 16 ga. sheet of steel I need to finish Brutus' floor repair. You know those chain hardware stores make me spit bullets. There's a place in the rack for it, but they never actually have any. They have to order it. I'm 67. I hope I see it before I croak. Not to mention that if you need six of something they only have two. Auto parts places are just as bad. Sorry for whining, but these places really light my fuse.
It REALLY grinds my gears when they tell you they can order it. Maybe I am just a grouchy old man - but dangit - I came to (insert store name here) with the idea I would pick up what I wanted, go home and complete my project. If I had wanted to order it there is this really cool thing called The Internet. I could have ordered it myself and not wasted my gas and time trying to support your business!

I am with you Owen!

I remember when the auto parts places had a big long row of paper books to rummage through for the odd stuff. Most of the time, you would tell the counter guy what you were working on, he would turn around, walk down an aisle, pick up a box and set it on the counter. Today's counter help can't do squat without looking it up on the computer first...

18operator

Thanks for the encouragement 18! I know they're simple, but I just worry about dropping one while I'm try with the other hand to put the leaf hinge screws in. I already have the leaf hinges on the window frames. Can you install the leaf hinges first and then connect the individual windows to their hinges? Plus, the wind is howling out here today and I don't have anyone to help me or hold the window while I screw. I would appreciate your thoughts on the hinge install procedure. How did you do it and in what order?
I attached the window frame to the opener’s first. That way it wasn’t going to go anywhere. Then I attached the piano hinge on top.

Attachments

Dipstick

Thanks 18! That was exactly my plan! Just about to install the driver's side right now. Boy, those are some itsy bitsy little screws that hold the leaf hinges to the frame. I dropped one. God knows where it is. Thanks for the photos also. I am doing this outside as always.

18operator

Thanks 18! That was exactly my plan! Just about to install the driver's side right now. Boy, those are some itsy bitsy little screws that hold the leaf hinges to the frame. I dropped one. God knows where it is. Thanks for the photos also. I am doing this outside as always.
If the wind isn't too bad, you can throw down some drop cloths or old towels to catch anything that falls. That way they don't get lost in the grass or gravel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks