• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I decided it was time to secure my fuel tank against unauthorized opening. I bored a close-fitting hole in some 3/16" steel plate to fit over the neck of my fuel tank. The rest of the project was made from 1/2" x 1" and 1/8" x 2" steel. No drilling or welding on the fuel tank was necessary to attach it. I engraved it to add a professional touch to it.
That is a pretty fantastic looking lockout! Need to sit down and see how much time and cost was involved. As cool as that looks - you might be able to sell them to those of us who don't have time and tools required to do that job. There are locking fuel caps on this site for about $85 and I also saw where somebody else posted LMTV locking caps available for less. I searched "locking fuel caps" with our search engine.

Only drawback to a locking cap is that the criminal element could care less what it costs you to fix what they break. Popular thing for dealing with locked fuel caps is an ice pick or a drill. They get the fuel they want, then let the rest of it pour out on the ground. I have words for that kind of people - but posting that here is against the rules. :-(

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a pretty fantastic looking lockout! Need to sit down and see how much time and cost was involved. As cool as that looks - you might be able to sell them to those of us who don't have time and tools required to do that job. There are locking fuel caps on this site for about $85 and I also saw where somebody else posted LMTV locking caps available for less. I searched "locking fuel caps" with our search engine.

Only drawback to a locking cap is that the criminal element could care less what it costs you to fix what they break. Popular thing for dealing with locked fuel caps is an ice pick or a drill. They get the fuel they want, then let the rest of it pour out on the ground. I have words for that kind of people - but posting that here is against the rules. :-(
I got the drawback you mentioned covered. Right now I am building a fuel tank out of 1/2" AR plate! Think that'll stop the fuel thief? Haha rofl

That is a very nifty solution! I like both the concept and the execution. It's very professional looking!
Seriously, thanks everyone for the kind words!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The locking device looks great. I remember seeing a pic of a steel protection plate that wrapped the bottom and sides of the stock tank. It was intended to protect the tank from rock damage but would probably work to prevent punching a drain hole into it as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No unfortunately not, just that one of the set on the seat. I was short on time with Mother Nature chasing me with rain. The old ones didn’t look bad, but I had no idea what condition they really were in or how long they were on the truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
No unfortunately not, just that one of the set on the seat. I was short on time with Mother Nature chasing me with rain. The old ones didn’t look bad, but I had no idea what condition they really were in or how long they were on the truck.
It is good they are renewed.
Some have been known to clamp them with vise grips to get a job done.
Did Not want to loose precious expensive DOT5 .......................
They are actually trash due to that.

Dipstick

I fixed my non-working license plate light today. I had incorrectly connected it to #22 ( stop and turn ) when it should have been connected to #21
( parking lights ). I made the wiring mistake a few years ago. I have a devil of a time reading those little aluminum wire markers with my aging eyes.

FloridaAKM

Speaking of seating for the Deuce, I parked my rear end in my '87 Air Force Deuce from 05:00 yesterday morning till 16:00 in the afternoon running a recovery operation of a Gichner-280 mobile shop from Albany, Ga. back to my home. That was a 350 mile trip that the Deuce performed flawlessly the entire trip. Pictures are still in the phone for now, but the Albany Gov Planet site has to be seen to appreciated as anybody who has been there. Very well run operation by people who care.

The mobile shop was in as new shape with zero damage other than the demil of the ECU that they remove (unplugged) out of all of them & the missing HVAC unit. An excellent days work for the first cool day of Fall.

Dipstick

Speaking of seating for the Deuce, I parked my rear end in my '87 Air Force Deuce from 05:00 yesterday morning till 16:00 in the afternoon running a recovery operation of a Gichner-280 mobile shop from Albany, Ga. back to my home. That was a 350 mile trip that the Deuce performed flawlessly the entire trip. Pictures are still in the phone for now, but the Albany Gov Planet site has to be seen to appreciated as anybody who has been there. Very well run operation by people who care.

The mobile shop was in as new shape with zero damage other than the demil of the ECU that they remove (unplugged) out of all of them & the missing HVAC unit. An excellent days work for the first cool day of Fall.
Yours was a very productive day! Were you travelling on highways during your trip? What kind of speeds did you hit along the way with your Deuce?

Welder1

Thanks for bringing me my filters too.

Eddie C

FloridaAKM

Yours was a very productive day! Were you travelling on highways during your trip? What kind of speeds did you hit along the way with your Deuce?
The trip was on the Florida & Georgia highways & interstate I-75 @ constant speeds of 45-50 mph due to that is as fast as she likes to go with stock 9:00 x 20 tires & standard gears. I have a complete set of 11:00 x 20 mounted new tires that I haven't take the time to install.

Dipstick

The trip was on the Florida & Georgia highways & interstate I-75 @ constant speeds of 45-50 mph due to that is as fast as she likes to go with stock 9:00 x 20 tires & standard gears. I have a complete set of 11:00 x 20 mounted new tires that I haven't take the time to install.
I have six 11 - 20s on my bobbed Deuce. They are 43" o.d. Firestone T-831s. They are only rated to 55 mph. I usually cruise between 45-50 myself. Crazy as it may seem the slightly taller tires did not really seem to drop the rpm for a given speed. With 6.72 axles at 50 mph it sounds like your going to blast off for the moon anyway. For the future, I found that 85 psi on the steers and 55 psi on my dueled rears gives me the best combination of wander free steering while keeping the back from bouncing too much on road irregularities. Did people hassle you on the highway at that speed? Thanks for the info on your trip!

FloridaAKM

The entire trip consisted of no issues with traffic either on the highways or the interstate. The traffic on the highways was able to pass me whenever they wanted to, so no blockage there. The interstate had 3 lanes on each side, so everybody just blew past me with no problems. The locals in Georgia were great as they would pull up beside me & wave before passing by. A very good experience overall, almost makes me want to do it again.

Dipstick

The entire trip consisted of no issues with traffic either on the highways or the interstate. The traffic on the highways was able to pass me whenever they wanted to, so no blockage there. The interstate had 3 lanes on each side, so everybody just blew past me with no problems. The locals in Georgia were great as they would pull up beside me & wave before passing by. A very good experience overall, almost makes me want to do it again.
I'm really glad to hear that! Did you read my post on 11 x 20 tire inflation? It may be different for you and your tire combination, but it worked out very well for my Deuce.

fpchief

Did you take advantage of the scale right outside the gate to get a new updated empty and loaded weight? I do it each time just for the hell of it. I pull up, run inside and she reads it off and I give her a big thanks and head on out. That's how I found the shielded S280 weighs 5160lbs...

FloridaAKM

I saw the scale, but it was not manned @ the time, so I never even thought of weighing the truck. The placards on the S-280 stated that the gross weight was under 1800 lbs, but I do not think that is correct. The normal weight carried in the truck for military shows & camping is 2000lbs & this shelter seems to be a bit heavier on the gears & braking so the next time I am @ work, the truck goes on the truck scales here to see what it actually weighs. When initially driving home after loading the shelter, the truck drove quite differently till I got back on hwy 82 since the backroads were pitched more than normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks