• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

IMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0480.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0482.jpg
Brutus took me to our first MV show since 2014. The RedBall Express at Gilbert PA. Six miles from my house. It was loosely organized. There were no major vendors. The food was DISGUSTING. Other than that we had a great time. Brutus is in the first pic in the middle. This five ton single axle gas tractor got my attention. It was really heavy duty. It pulled an equally cool single axle equipment trailer. There were a bunch of WW 2 Deuces in really nice unrestored condition. The last picture is for Mullaney. A five ton gas wrecker. All cable. It had three tall levers that were used to control everything. It also had winches front and rear. We could not figure out the make and the owner was never around to ask. On the way there, Brutus and I took a wrong turn and ended up driving up the steepest, curviest two lane road we've ever been on. No place to turn around and I had to take it in third gear all the way up hammer down. Going back down I saw the sign. It warned folks of the 8% decent ahead. We were both a little bit worried. This was not a good road to have a brake problem on. I will avoid it at all cost in the future.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 846489View attachment 846490View attachment 846491View attachment 846492View attachment 846493
Brutus took me to our first MV show since 2014. The RedBall Express at Gilbert PA. Six miles from my house. It was loosely organized. There were no major vendors. The food was DISGUSTING. Other than that we had a great time. Brutus is in the first pic in the middle. This five ton single axle gas tractor got my attention. It was really heavy duty. It pulled an equally cool single axle equipment trailer. There were a bunch of WW 2 Deuces in really nice unrestored condition. The last picture is for Mullaney. A five ton gas wrecker. All cable. It had three tall levers that were used to control everything. It also had winches front and rear. We could not figure out the make and the owner was never around to ask. On the way there, Brutus and I took a wrong turn and ended up driving up the steepest, curviest two lane road we've ever been on. No place to turn around and I had to take it in third gear all the way up hammer down. Going back down I saw the sign. It warned folks of the 8% decent ahead. We were both a little bit worried. This was not a good road to have a brake problem on. I will avoid it at all cost in the future.
What a heck of a show Owen! That front end looks a lot like an International but that is a guess at best. That cable powered boom is pretty impressive for sure. Happy to hear that you finally got to go to a show! I still keep hoping. We still have the potential for a show in early November.

Eight percent is a heck of a grade going up or down! Good old Brutus got the job done though! :)

Dipstick

Thanks Tim! Yeah, I thought of you the moment I saw the wrecker. It was real neat. The hood was very long. It seemed pretty simple to operate, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it. The single axle tractor had a stuck valve. A couple of guys tried their best to fix it during the show, but were not able to. The valve was bent. I did get to speak with a very nice gent who had a perfect M715? Dodge Power Wagon kind of thing with all kinds of military radio gear in the bed. It was used as a communications vehicle. George lives about six miles from me. I hope you do get your show in November. Brutus did okay.

Dipstick

It's not a Deuce thing as such, but the single axle tractor in my post above is an International M-426. It was also made by Kenworth and Marmon-Herrington. It was rear wheel drive only and had a 450 ci 125 hp International gas engine. It was used by the Red Ball Express and in the Berlin Airlift and in other theaters up until 1950. The top speed was only 38 mph! Eat my dust! :ROFLMAO:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's not a Deuce thing as such, but the single axle tractor in my post above is an International M-426. It was also made by Kenworth and Marmon-Herrington. It was rear wheel drive only and had a 450 ci 125 hp International gas engine. It was used by the Red Ball Express and in the Berlin Airlift and in other theaters up until 1950. The top speed was only 38 mph! Eat my dust! :ROFLMAO:
Only one thing can be said about that...
I may be slow but I am ahead of you!
It got the job done ;-)

92ramaro

Took Daisy out with the 14 foot dump trailer attached for some evening firewood cutting therapy in a decently muddy field that was having the fence-rows removed.

After the dump trailer was loaded (overloaded honestly) to the top with some gorgeous maple trunks, I got the truck and trailer moving pretty confidently through the muck when I heard a loud hiss and immediately lost all forward progress. Just spinning the rears axles helplessly.
Once I had dropped out of the truck into the shin-deep mud I found that of all things the spare tire had fallen off, got kicked up by the duals, and ripped the bleeder valve out of the driver's side air tank before getting jammed under the front of the trailer.
I was dumbstruck enough to laugh about it.
Got a ride home, retrieved the necessary tools, replaced the valve, and backed the trailer off of the spare.
Having to throw a 9.00x20 wheel and tire that was packed with slimy mud on top of the dump trailer by hand ended up being the worst part of the ordeal.

Regrettably, there wasn't any photos of the event. I just wanted to fix Daisy and get home for a needed shower by the time it happened.

Last edited:

ToddJK

I went out yesterday and picked up 600 gallons of wmo with the deuce. First time I ever had that much weight in that truck, somewhere around 5k or so lbs. Driving on some typical MI roads that is normally bumpy as all get out, it was smooth as butter, she felt like an oversized Cadillac, lol. I still have to filter and process all that oil yet...

ToddJK

So I put in my new battery disconnect inside on the dash. I have another under the seat but I always forget about it, only to find batteries that are dead. Not sure where there's a short, but I have a feeling it's probably the Alternator, only because it's happened to me before and it's a slow power draining kind of short. Not only the new switch, but I got my dome light installed, and a red indicator light so remind me the batteries are connected and the truck has power. I wanted a cleaner look, but didn't want to drill more holes in the cab either so I went with the wires being down the middle, but I slipped them into a vinyl clear tubing I had laying around and wrapped in black electrical tape. I even used a piece of that vinyl tubing at every electrical connection and then black taped it just so I know it's well insulated. I got the dome light from "Those military guys" online, for almost $40, I think it could have been built from more solid components, but it's bright and lights up the whole cab fairly well.
I'll eventually add some off road lights, another cab light for the back, and figure out a way to install my arctic front end cover.

Attachments

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on replacing the oil pump idler gear bearing. Pull the grill, pull the fan, pull the radiator, pull the water pump, pull the harmonic balancer..the farther I go the more I see!
1633186038405.png
1633186053713.png1633186038405.png1633186053713.png

M.Ellis

Took her for a 2 hour ride today, ran perfect. Also finally got my pulse tech 24 volt solar charger hooked up. And did winter battery maintenance. Filled with distilled water and electrical greased all terminals. That pulse tech charger is the bees knees.

Mounted the pulse module under the passenger bench seat with my 12v inverter.

I then mounted the main charger/tester in the driver’s side tool box. That’s where my dump bed pump is located as well. Last picture shows when you push the button the lights light to test the batteries.

I didn’t mount the solar panel. I have no clue where I’d want it. So for now I ran the wire along the bed and put the solar panel on the tailgate. I suppose the best place to put it would be on the roof but I really don’t want to drill the roof. So for now it’s just unhook one wire and set it to the side when I’m using the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a pretty cool charger😀. I also hooked up my 24V battery mender I slid the plug out beside the steering shaft to plug it in, but first I had to evict a squirrel he had started to store nuts in my battery box I removed a dozen hickory nuts. And put moth balls in their if that don’t work I’ll use a rubber snake.

M.Ellis

That’s a pretty cool charger😀. I also hooked up my 24V battery mender I slid the plug out beside the steering shaft to plug it in, but first I had to evict a squirrel he had started to store nuts in my battery box I removed a dozen hickory nuts. And put moth balls in their if that don’t work I’ll use a rubber snake.
Time will tell if it really works or not. I get full sun all day so it should.

Dipstick

Took her for a 2 hour ride today, ran perfect. Also finally got my pulse tech 24 volt solar charger hooked up. And did winter battery maintenance. Filled with distilled water and electrical greased all terminals. That pulse tech charger is the bees knees.

Mounted the pulse module under the passenger bench seat with my 12v inverter.

I then mounted the main charger/tester in the driver’s side tool box. That’s where my dump bed pump is located as well. Last picture shows when you push the button the lights light to test the batteries.

I didn’t mount the solar panel. I have no clue where I’d want it. So for now I ran the wire along the bed and put the solar panel on the tailgate. I suppose the best place to put it would be on the roof but I really don’t want to drill the roof. So for now it’s just unhook one wire and set it to the side when I’m using the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful installation work by you and great pics!

Dipstick

Well, Brutus and I had a rough day last Friday. We were driving to Lowe's (about 14 miles from home) to pick up some landscaping blocks and decorative rock, when I again had a total hydraulic brake failure while stopping for a light. We got lucky again, because there was almost no traffic, I was on flat ground and I was already going slowly enough that I could get into second gear. Fortunately for us my rebuilt handbrake system worked flawlessly and I was able to find a long wide shoulder to pull off on. The right front wheel cylinder totally let go spraying Dot 5 all over the engine block, suspension, and tire. I had to have Brutus towed with a heavy wrecker. Luckily my best buddy was nearby and quickly showed up to help and drive me home. That's the second time in two years I've had a total brake failure. It's got me worried because I can't drive a 1/4 mile up here in the Poconos without encountering 3rd gear grades up and down. At the bottom of every steep decent seems to be a stop sign. Each and every drive is an adventure. Parts are on order, but I'm really beginning to question whether or not driving a heavy vehicle with a single line brake system is a good idea up here. I am seriously bummed out.

ToddJK

Well, Brutus and I had a rough day last Friday. We were driving to Lowe's (about 14 miles from home) to pick up some landscaping blocks and decorative rock, when I again had a total hydraulic brake failure while stopping for a light. We got lucky again, because there was almost no traffic, I was on flat ground and I was already going slowly enough that I could get into second gear. Fortunately for us my rebuilt handbrake system worked flawlessly and I was able to find a long wide shoulder to pull off on. The right front wheel cylinder totally let go spraying Dot 5 all over the engine block, suspension, and tire. I had to have Brutus towed with a heavy wrecker. Luckily my best buddy was nearby and quickly showed up to help and drive me home. That's the second time in two years I've had a total brake failure. It's got me worried because I can't drive a 1/4 mile up here in the Poconos without encountering 3rd gear grades up and down. At the bottom of every steep decent seems to be a stop sign. Each and every drive is an adventure. Parts are on order, but I'm really beginning to question whether or not driving a heavy vehicle with a single line brake system is a good idea up here. I am seriously bummed out.
I can only imagine how nerve wrecking that can be. Glad nothing bad happened and no one was hurt. Maybe a good idea to invest in a dual circuit brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks