• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today I was going to install a new set of brake levers on my tan M101A2 trailer.

One lever works fine, but the other one has been frozen solid ever since I picked it up from RRAD.
Luckily it was in the right adjustment position.
I’ve sprayed stuff from time to time on it, but never really messed with it since it worked and was the right position.
It was bugging me so time for replacement

I literally was sitting on my milk crate with tools and thought I would give it one more try.
This time I used heat, liquid wrench, and a hammer and pliers.
It was slow going at first, but after a few heat cycles and lots of hammer taps, plus almost a can of penetrate, she finally busted loose and works perfectly!
It will run the entire length of travel now and can even only use two fingers doing it.
Took about an hour.

No way to get grease or anti seize inside without destroying the lever.
Drilling for a zert would work but no way to flush metal shavings out of threads.
Just lots of spray lube.

Now I can save my new levers for another day.

Edit;
Took pictures today.
Looks rough I know but it’s a working Ranch trailer so beauty isn’t as much a concern
I too have to get this done. I will probably work on it over the winter if I ever get my shop erected and heated...

cucvrus

I completed a full LED lighting conversion to my M1102 trailer. I cheated and done it in 30 minutes. I swapped out the incandescent bulbs for Stanley 12/24 LED bulbs. DSCF8875.JPG DSCF8878.JPG It was that easy. I have the regular LED lamps and taillamps but will use them on another future project. DSCF8874.JPG DSCF8877.JPG DSCF8879.JPG DSCF8880.JPG DSCF8881.JPGI have this trailer listed for sale it is not working out as I had planned. I was offered Free Wood today, so I came home from work and hooked it to my truck. It is high and difficult to unload. It hauls a lot of wood and handles the weight well, but I am opting for another style trailer. I have a Pennsylvania title for this trailer and have it listed on Market Place. Take Care.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some work today on my M101A2 I got from GP auction almost two weeks ago.

Took off crank Jack and inspected gears and roll pins, cleaned out old grease (what little was left) and packed in new grease and reinstalled on trailer.
It was stuck from extending at first from some light rust and lack of use.

Now it works Like a champ and the new grease definitely helped. Smooth as butter now and handles loaded trailer no sweat.

Another SteelSoldiers member sold me an original crank handle.
The rotating handle was seized and took about 30 minutes with heat and liquid wrench spray.
Works like new now.
Needs painted.
So glad he had one and was willing to part with it.
I used one of my surplus aviation push pins to secure new crank handle to its original location on side of Jack. Works perfectly
Pic doesn’t show it but I did secure the pin with a chain so it doesn’t get lost. Much longer pin than needed but it was free.

Installed new tailgate chain guards.
Installed new Tail Light lens on each light. Original ones were extremely cloudy

Still waiting on one seal and race so I can replace wheel bearings.
Bearings are getting expensive. They are Timken.

New reflectors are ordered.

New tires ordered to go on the Chevy rims I picked up last week.
Slowly but surely.
I think it’s going to get new OD green paint.
The tan shows every little….and large…bit of rust.
That’s a few weeks away.

Love these trailers.

66044A08-16F2-42F7-8A15-9C7D79F9C060.jpeg7A5B348D-C893-408F-9C96-2FAC6E70E07E.jpeg8EE4F590-2859-460E-B8B4-AC9996C61312.jpeg15A93E98-5B08-458F-A1A3-67E3DD7463D1.jpegDF872C34-F15F-480C-A3F4-D696E94857AC.jpegB12BD5D3-096B-4109-9F14-58A6DAEBFCA6.jpeg60D62ECD-17B1-49B4-88A4-30E26F863310.jpeg

Another Ahab

Did some work today on my M101A2 I got from GP auction almost two weeks ago.

Another SteelSoldiers member sold me an original crank handle.
The rotating handle was seized and took about 30 minutes with heat and liquid wrench spray.
Works like new now.

Love these trailers.
My sorry behind would have given up 10-15 minutes into the effort, so thank you for the lesson to use the time.

Looks great, Tinstar!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That crank handle is hard to find.
Worth the time investment.

The tolerances on that handle grip are very tight.
Not easy to get penetrating oil in there but doable. Just slow
Took a lot of heat and pliers to finally bust it loose.

Ive been having fantastic results with Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.
So far it’s the best I’ve used.

Very smooth now.
Still have to remove some light plier marks on the grip.
Will paint it after that.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101A2

7A3B7F49-6092-4D89-8849-1DA09950A358.jpeg
Painted the original issue Jack handle brick red.
It’s not tactical, but practical.

9F89BB92-45EB-4170-9702-00A142C25645.jpeg
Stripped old coating off rims and sprayed green zinc chromate primer on front and back.
Once fully dry (takes 48 hours) will paint them either CARC green or black.

3EE98505-9341-4BDE-B62C-7D6D8D28F12B.jpeg
Did front gate modification. So much easier access.

941FE3AC-A838-4E82-936C-3FA2C6C595CB.jpeg
Took off brake levers. Whomever installed these originally didn’t do it correctly. Hardware missing and one was frozen from lack of lube.
Correctly reassembled and reinstalled levers. Both adjustment knobs freed and lubed.
New grade 8 hardware for mounting. Old hardware was mismatched and abused.

15C8435C-7998-4D8F-AB20-7B5D71279A8C.jpeg2AAEA8E5-3489-416E-8CF4-4D11322AAB37.jpeg
All new reflectors installed. One was very rusty behind it.
After removing rust, I sprayed fluid film for corrosion protection. Excess was cleaned off after picture taken.

I installed these too soon and have to take them back off and clean off Fluid Film.
Painting trailer next week, weather permitting.
It’s going back to 383 green.

2A3F1C5E-0557-4386-8FB3-349B93AC11C4.jpeg
Installed extension hose for brake vent.
I have a NOS cap that eliminates this setup but cannot find it.
I put it in a place where I wouldn’t lose it…… Yea, that worked out well.

Also bought NOS tailgate chains and handles.
Will install those after paint.

Have all rust spots cleaned and primed.
The last time this trailer was painted, it was done very sloppy. Extremely thick in most areas.
Needs a complete stripping but that’s impractical since it will be used a lot. Definitely not a show piece.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

My M105A2 has been sitting outside for a while.

After I got it home I washed it and it came out looking great!

So its been sitting since then and its now time to wash it again.

PIC_0955.JPG

PIC_0956.JPG

PIC_0957.JPG

So since it was raining here I gave it a wash,.... and let the rain do the rinsing for me!

PIC_0961.JPG

PIC_0960.JPG

PIC_0959.JPG

Will do the nooks and cranny's by hand but looking good again.

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

So where the straps are to hold the rolled up sides of the top just happens to be about the same place as the top edge of the trailer with the shortened bows.
There isn't a good way to secure the top to the trailer for driving down the road like this, so I'll end up with several straps run over the top to keep everything in place.
Thought about using a trailer net?

Aussie.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Thought about using a trailer net?

Aussie.
it's a possibility, but haven't seen any nets of about the right size that are military type. At least none in my price range.

I have a cousin that has a commercial upholstery shop that I need to go visit with a bunch of different stuff to get either fixed or modified.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's a possibility, but haven't seen any nets of about the right size that are military type. At least none in my price range.
The Military issue cargo nets for most US vehicles/trailers are called Load Tamer.
If you watch eBay, sometimes they show up NOS for a really good price
I still have a NIB one for my former 5 tons and have two (1 for CUCV and 1 for M101A2 Trailers) left.
They work well and are very well made.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load tamers are AWESOME! Ebay is your best bet for one. I use the trailer sized one for my M101 and pickup. Their Quickie Tiedowns are awesome too!

They arent cheap, but sometimes you get lucky on ebay, but the next will be the last net you ever buy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks