• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

tobyS

Yes over the springs. I could c notch it like on lowered trucks.
It should be fine, the bed provides a lot of strength so that part of the frame should be okay. I guess it was GentrysGrarage that was talking about duals with those wheels. Did you remove the brake drum to fit the wheel?

drivebymashing

Yeah I need to paint the wheels. Too windy yesterday. Yes I had to remove drums. I'm going to remove shoes and wheel cylinders too. Hoping to get it around 2200 ish or less.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, DOT will always only go by what’s on the data plate.
No matter what is done to lighten it, the original weight ratings are what is used.

A M101A2/3 would be a much better fit and look a lot better behind your Xterra.
A trailer compatible with your vehicle and with brakes. It’s a Win Win.
Plus it’s still an approved trailer for the Deuce.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I’ve seen your setup too many times in accidents and the legal and court aftermath.
It gets very expensive very fast.
I would hate to see it happen to anyone here.

I’ll get off my soap box now......

bigbe5678

Remember, DOT will always only go by what’s on the data plate.
No matter what is done to lighten it, the original weight ratings are what is used.

A M101A2/3 would be a much better fit and look a lot better behind your Xterra.
A trailer compatible with your vehicle and with brakes. It’s a Win Win.
Plus it’s still an approved trailer for the Deuce.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I’ve seen your setup too many times in accidents and the legal and court aftermath.
It gets very expensive very fast.
I would hate to see it happen to anyone here.

I’ll get off my soap box now......
Amen Thanks for info The m101a1/a2/a3 Perfect for pulling behind a pickup .

tobyS

Amen Thanks for info The m101a1/a2/a3 Perfect for pulling behind a pickup .
Here is one I put together from a 105 bed, dexter axle and HMMWV wheels. A guy bought it before I got it welded out or the dump cylinder on (he wanted to finish it) to haul firewood. It trails sweet and has hydraulic disk brakes.

Attachments

drivebymashing

I've read all the posts about the 2 trailers. I've owned 5 105 and also have a 1101. My 105 pictured isn't road legal. I am not going to use it on the road . Unless I can find a 101 for 10 dollars Ill stick with what I have for firewood around the property.
The data plate has been gone for probably 20 years. I use my 1101 it's tagged for road use. My 105 is perfect for firewood at my house huge bed. :smile:20180331_110347.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

I've read all the posts about the 2 trailers. I've owned 5 105 and also have a 1101. My 105 pictured isn't road legal. I am not going to use it on the road . Unless I can find a 101 for 10 dollars Ill stick with what I have for firewood around the property.
The data plate has been gone for probably 20 years. I use my 1101 it's tagged for road use. My 105 is perfect for firewood at my house huge bed. :smile:View attachment 723717
Yea, I just posted to give the new guys some ideas. When I found the forward and back page to post pictures, I found I had made a huge archive.

The most important part is getting use out of them. They are a great firewood hauler. Be careful going over center, a load can take the tongue up in a hurry!

My latest is a M322. It's going to get a few modifications. Wes brought it back from New Hampshire and brought me a couple of bolster rims too to use on the 105 axle. The axle from the 105 above is getting the 12x16.5 "high miler" and bolster rims. Then that axle/wheel will get used with a LMTV bed, I think. I like building trailers.

drivebymashing

I love to see military trailers and equipment being used. If I could afford the 101 I agree being a lighter trailer is better. A 10 dollar 105 is hard to pass up. My xterra is nearly worn out I'll replace it with a 3/4 ton truck at some point.

tobyS

You got a heck of a deal and if you can get it a bit lower...all the better. Great around the farm use for it. Myself, I would need more floatation and the outer duel.....

Do you have the rear leg? If not, be careful unhitching with a load on.

tobyS

I had some sign pole with multiple holes up and down it and made these up. Of course I don't recommend stealing state signs...but a local county highway would probably have a scrap piece.

Yes....they will hurt you if they come over with a load...no doubt.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lost the front gate locking pin.

Had the gate doors open and locked back for a while.
Picked up some items and went to lock the top latch and the locking pin was gone.
The gates were NOS when I installed them last year.

I guess the dimple wasn’t large enough to hold it it.
Have used them a lot and never noticed it.

Now just a bolt holding the top closed.
Time to swap gate plates if I can find my old stuff.
ADA3C76E-4274-41C3-8674-32649956153E.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took Ownership!

Picked this up a couple of days ago from another SS member locally, 1962 M101A. He has sold off all his green toys as part of downsizing. Came with extra sides and gates, and a few other extras stuck in it he didn't feel like cleaning out. Hadn't moved in 4 years but was 100% complete and fully operational. Pumped up the tires (which are at 95% tread) and towed her home. Had no trouble with the title the next morning and turned around and made a run of Spring cleaning yard waste to the landfill. Rode great. My HMMWV definitely notices it behind her, but towed OK. I may need to bump up the fuel pump...

The canvas is hard and fairly inflexible. Since I am equipped for heavy-duty sewing thanks to my HMMWV soft slant back side hustle, I might just sew up a new cover.

I will be parting ways with my M116A3 now, as an M101 series cargo trailer was always my dream trailer.

Happy days!

Bulldogger
IMG_0910.jpgIMG_0891.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your sewing tops I need one for my M101a2 . you need to look at the trailer good because it's also a dump trailer too.
It could be a while before I muster the gumption to try to sew a cover, but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Dump trailer? You mean mine? Howzat? Sure would have saved me time at the landfill...

Seriously, I better download the TM. I didn't think I needed one for a trailer!

Bulldogger

computer54

try looking U tube and TM because I did both after I got the trailer and tryed it after I got it and had to remove two bolts and set breaks and back it up.and move cables too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks