• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
try looking U tube and TM because I did both after I got the trailer and tryed it after I got it and had to remove two bolts and set breaks and back it up.and move cables too.
Reading the TM now. I mean. I'm at work, so I'm working, and I'll read the TM later.

BDGR

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its not a dump trailer.

It can pivot where the arms attach but many have had that casting snap. If you try to use it as a dump, make sure you have limiting straps put on before hand.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is for transport only.
NOT dumping.
Allows for more trailers on a rail car.

You break one of those castings and you will be SOL.
Will have to find someone parting out one or have to buy a new trailer.
That part is rare in surplus form.

Sure guys dump with them, but they are not designed nor intended for that purpose.
Rolling the dice for sure.

Plenty of stories on SS about them breaking.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've convinced me not to try! Didn't particularly need it anyway.

Glad you caught me before I tried.

BDGR

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've convinced me not to try! Didn't particularly need it anyway.

Glad you caught me before I tried.

BDGR
That's a constant problem (no, not the consistent misspelling of brakes); people believe these trailers are meant to dump. I've seen people on craigslist mention it as a selling point, and received criticism from another trailer owner because my M1101 doesn't have the dump feature.

86m1028

try looking U tube and TM because I did both after I got the trailer and tryed it after I got it and had to remove two bolts and set breaks and back it up.and move cables too.
They were not designed to be a dump trailer.
The tongue was designed to be folded up, for more compact shipping.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the storage yard to pick up one of my 101A2’s to finish up the work for inspection and didn’t even make it home before one of Frisco TX finest had me pulled over.

Him: “Do you know why I pulled you over?”
Me: Laughing “I sure do!”
Handed him my DL and CHL
Him: “Are you carrying?”
Me: “in the truck, not on me.”
Him: “Do you have your insurance card?”
Me: “probably not”

Young guy, very nice and polite. Never met a Frisco Policeman who wasn’t professional and courteous. I explained what I was doing and why I had no plates and he was satisfied with it.

I did ask him if he was the same policeman who investigated the call on the suspicious military vehicle parked in my driveway. Some people have way too much time on their hands. Waaaay too much time. He laughed. Said “No, I would have remembered that one!”

Got it home. Slammed the tongue storage box shut on my thumb, really hard. Thumb turned black. I went inside and iced it and got busy with other important stuff.

So, the answer to the thread, “What did you do to your trailer today.” I guess is #&$@i# nothing.

8F1CAAA3-215E-4725-B9C8-5F6EB9CD86D0.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Went to the storage yard to pick up one of my 101A2’s to finish up the work for inspection and didn’t even make it home before one of Frisco TX finest had me pulled over.

Him: “Do you know why I pulled you over?”
Me: Laughing “I sure do!”
Handed him my DL and CHL
Him: “Are you carrying?”
Me: “in the truck, not on me.”
Him: “Do you have your insurance card?”
Me: “probably not”

Young guy, very nice and polite. Never met a Frisco Policeman who wasn’t professional and courteous. I explained what I was doing and why I had no plates and he was satisfied with it.

I did ask him if he was the same policeman who investigated the call on the suspicious military vehicle parked in my driveway. Some people have way too much time on their hands. Waaaay too much time. He laughed. Said “No, I would have remembered that one!”

Got it home. Slammed the tongue storage box shut on my thumb, really hard. Thumb turned black. I went inside and iced it and got busy with other important stuff.

So, the answer to the thread, “What did you do to your trailer today.” I guess is #&$@i# nothing.

View attachment 725514
Your lucky you live in such an accommodating place ! Here in Washington State they would have given you a ticket and probably frisked you for laughing ! Then when you mentioned you "carry" all I could think of was "WOW !!!!" they let him go !!!!
I believe it's time I looked elsewhere to live ! How's the cost of living in Texas ?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No state taxes, no gov overreach. Because of cost, everyone is moving their headquarters to Frisco TX (Toyota, Liberty Mutual, Jamba Juice and the PGA is poised to move here plus many other big ones I can’t remember) they built the Dallas Cowboys training center here. And this is just one city. Our schools are all small by design in Frisco (lots of them though) so our home values stay high

I like it here. They don’t give me crap about my trucks or my guns either. We can open carry, but I have never seen anyone do it.

We are pretty pro military so most people like to see the trucks and trailers. Here we were yesterday with my buddy airing up the 931A2 and my 101A2 and my ex 923A2 I sold to him.

380A28A0-C563-490E-B154-1FD22D239B96.jpg

Forgot to mention he was the 4th policeman I encountered on the way home. We stopped to wash the 923, and one pulled in and parked by us. Registration out (his truck, but still in my name) then another, then a third. Then I left.

None followed me. This one came out of nowhere! He was a sneaky bugger!

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
101A2 - one of the ones that left RRAD with no wheels looking pretty sad. I fixed broken/cut wires to passenger tail light, replaced all bulbs with 12/24v LEDs. nice bright German made bulbs. Wired in a 7 way plug in prep for future shenanigans with electricity. Welded on new safety chains. Welded on a new drop-leg swing up jack. Got it inspected for the first time.

Made a trip to the courthouse with a receipt only in hand and walked out with a license plate. Love Texas.

Last edited:

computer54

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I hanged the lights to 12 v and the cable to the truck with a 7-way because I did not have a a plug on my truck because it only had a 5 pin . And when it gets hot here in TN. I well check the breaks and bearing and then the surge break and think if I can change the front droop leg too.[/FONT]

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had some difficulty uploading pictures from the ranch, so here are some new pics. I have posted pictures of the tongue build before, somewhere else, but, in short, I removed the original 65lb surge and dropleg apparatus and sold it to a member here, and welded a 3/8” plate on top with a larger 2 1/2” receiver hitch, instead of the more common 2” receiver hitch. It’s a little over 3” wide but fits fine.

Welded a channel mount, that dropped the height of the hitch down, to to a 2 1/2” x 1/4” sq tube so that my truck could pull it level, with 37’s on it. I can pull it out and flip it over if I want to pull it with the 5-ton. Probably won’t happen, but I can still do it if I want. I can also pull it out and walk away with it as theft deterrent.

657EB680-D7CC-42BB-BAF1-0334A8F9B0AB.jpgC6C6D16C-E32A-4335-A160-92F14037752C.jpg
Loaded up a ton of ceiling and wall panels, again, for remodeling a house on the ranch. Trailer takes it in stride. I do miss brakes though (this one didn’t have brakes when I got it. They were inoperable)

1440E39E-0FF1-436D-A01D-35B5D5E7AA25.jpgF7A0009B-9CE4-4642-91EF-7AD922E903BD.jpg

Anyone ever convert a 101 to electric brakes? I wired a 7 way plug in anticipation of adding electric brakes to it. I have electric brakes for my 1101, have not installed them yet. Are the drums, or backing plates the same? Could the 1101 electric brakes work on a 101A2?

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt pattern is the same as most 7k lb axle trailer wheels. 8 on 6 1/2 is the standard bolt pattern.

Now, HWMMV wheels are odball size at 16.5” (same bolt pattern). The 37” tires can be found, so, aftermarket wheels can be found too, but they are not as common as 16” and 17” and so on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks