• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I need for a rear axle seal replacement?

socom688

Thanks for all the input guys! So besides the parts I listed, I should snag some schedule 40 1" PVC and put an end cap on a piece to make a seal setting tool, or 3"? I couldn't make sense of the above posts.

I am unsure if I have all the right tools, chances are I don't and will have to pick them up. I am having a hard time finding a thread about doing this and which tools are necessary. If someone could help me out by either posting a thread or telling me that'd be greatly appreciated!

Things I do know I need besides my original post:

Grey RTV
Jack
Jack stands
Seal setter tool thing (PVC but idk the size)
Diff fluid
Grease, about a pound (recommendations?)

welldigger

3" pvc. Bring an inner seal with you to the hardware store and it will be obvious.

As far as grease, I like to use high temp wheel bearing grease. Mystic jt-6 is my favorite.

socom688

Thanks welldigger. I might be overthinking this, but I've started a project or repair and have had to make a million trips to the auto parts store!

welldigger

Thanks welldigger. I might be overthinking this, but I've started a project or repair and have had to make a million trips to the auto parts store!
Sounds like my average weekend! Apparently I'm too stubborn to make a list. Also, the parts stores around me hire idiots for the most part.

ATPTac

Its understandable, I do this kind of stuff for a living and I over thought the job before I started it. Granted we still had to make several parts runs, but that was mostly for broken/missing parts that couldn't have been foreseen.

TMNT

For the PVC seal setting tool, I used a piece of 3" PVC gray electrical conduit with the flared end (bell). The diameter of the bell is an almost perfect match to the inner seal. Put the inner seal in position and then put the belled end of the PVC against it. Whack the other end of the PVC (a PVC cap makes it easier). Make sure you hit it squarely.

The oil in the hub is very likely caused by a failed keyway plug. The inner seal, the one nearest the brakes, wouldn't / couldn't cause that.

I use a tub or bowl about 14-16" in diameter and about 4" deep with a couple of inches of mineral spirits in it to clean up the grease. A clean paint brush to brush on the mineral spirits and brush away the goo works wonders. Wipe that down and use the brake cleaner to finish it up.

Drop the bearings in the bowl and let the mineral spirits work for a few minutes. Work them around in there a bit, brush them off and then dry them out. Do a final wash with brake cleaner and dry them out good before re packing. Make absolutely certain that the bearings are clean and DRY before re packing them.

Once you get the routine down you can move through all the hubs in a few hours.

Don't rush the silicone in the keyway or you'll be doing it again. Make sure the keyway is clean. Get a good shot of silicone in there to completely dam up that space. Let it cure for 24-48 hours before moving the truck. I made that mistake a couple of times before learning the lesson.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, only guessing you have a leaking(busted) seal. Have you checked your axle vent yet?

Reactions: HDN

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil bath bearings last up to 5 times longer than grease pack, just through that flat outer seal away and let the bearings run in oil with a premium hub seal.

Attachments

Does anyone have pictures of the keyway your using rtv in? Sounds like can probably pull mine apart and just clean repack the bearings and plug this hole up.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple site search for "rtv keyway picture" will get you several threads with what you want.

Yeah I went searching and found it. Question..... mine are pretty bad and I'm thinking about doing this over the weekend.... If the shoes are coated in oil I should be ok with soaking them in mineral spirits or Brakleen to clean them up right? I've done this numerous times are work and they always come out ok.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't say for sure without seeing them in person.