• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I need for a rear axle seal replacement?

welldigger

If you just really really want to use those awful cork seals then just cut your own. It's literally just a chunk of cork. Any hobby and craft store will have it. Worst case, order it in bulk over the internet.

Reactions: HDN

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LT.Dan you should be ok with those corks as long as they fit tight. I use them when I have them. I just have problems with silicone and not saying it does not work.

SP5

A small, but perhaps usefull point. The wheel cylinder rebuild kits that are being supplied by Big Mikes, and Eriks, and some other suppliers do not come with cup expanders, or the "shouldered spring". They come with a straight spring only.
The original military cylinders, and rebuild kits had a seperate dished washer type part, (a cup expander). that fitted between the spring and the cup, to keep the cup expanded, which would prevent, (in most cases), leaks.
If your cylinders have that original expander part, Do Not Throw It Away.
Many of the older NAPA kits had the good shouldered spring in them, which took the place of the seperate expander, these work quite well, but many of the newer kits on the market do not use this type of spring, and so depend on only the tension of the cup to prevent leaks.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
anyhow I need a bunch of these squish seals...#1 in the drawing (#1)
Please say where to get a dozen or so .... best price?
I get mine in bulk from Erik's; great customer service and prompt delivery: http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/cowaforbafio1.html (Inner) and http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/cowaforbafio.html (Outer). You could take the old crush washers to a reputable auto parts store and see if they have anything close in stock; some heavy truck parts outlets also stock similar crush washers.

Instead of silicone or RTV, I use The Right Stuff exclusively:
The_Right_Stuff_7oz_01.jpg
It's resistant to oil/fuel/etc. and is ready-for-use upon application...you can use it to make gaskets or help seat/seal existing gaskets. I remove the existing keyway cork, clean them with brake cleaner, let them dry and then seal them up with The Right Stuff in the keyway. Haven't had any problems with this stuff, and there are several Deuces running around southern Nevada with this holding them together (no problems).

MUCH better than silicone/RTV. I get mine from my local NAPA, but I've seen it at other stores as well as on Amazon.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A small, but perhaps usefull point. The wheel cylinder rebuild kits that are being supplied by Big Mikes, and Eriks, and some other suppliers do not come with cup expanders, or the "shouldered spring". They come with a straight spring only.
The original military cylinders, and rebuild kits had a seperate dished washer type part, (a cup expander). that fitted between the spring and the cup, to keep the cup expanded, which would prevent, (in most cases), leaks.
If your cylinders have that original expander part, Do Not Throw It Away.
Many of the older NAPA kits had the good shouldered spring in them, which took the place of the seperate expander, these work quite well, but many of the newer kits on the market do not use this type of spring, and so depend on only the tension of the cup to prevent leaks.
Excellent point; I've used a few of those NAPA kits and they work wonderfully (better than the newer, imported ones). However, I was just at my local NAPA and they were having a devil of a time finding any left...it looks like they've been superseded by the newer style without the shouldered spring.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the input guys! So besides the parts I listed, I should snag some schedule 40 1" PVC and put an end cap on a piece to make a seal setting tool, or 3"? I couldn't make sense of the above posts.

I am unsure if I have all the right tools, chances are I don't and will have to pick them up. I am having a hard time finding a thread about doing this and which tools are necessary. If someone could help me out by either posting a thread or telling me that'd be greatly appreciated!

Things I do know I need besides my original post:

Grey RTV
Jack
Jack stands
Seal setter tool thing (PVC but idk the size)
Diff fluid
Grease, about a pound (recommendations?)
I used ABS drain pipe, 3" diameter, for my seal driver/setter. I installed a slip coupler on the seal end for a stronger sealing surface, and a plug-cap on the other end to hammer against. Just make it a few inches longer than the axle spindle so it slips over to seat the inner seal.

I use Chevron Dura-Lith NLGI-2 wheel bearing grease that meets the specs of GAA...Why? Because I scored a 35-gallon drum of the stuff NEW from a storage locker auction. Other recommendations made in this thread and others by members would also work...newer wheel-bearing grease for heavy-duty trucks with drum brakes is probably superior to the old GAA anyway.

Get the 8-sided wheel nut socket to make your life easier, and a good 3/4"-drive ratchet (you can get a passable one from Harbor Freight). A couple of members sell this socket, or you can get it at your local NAPA/CarQuest/auto parts warehouse. Most likely you'll see gouges on your wheel nuts from some imbecile who used a hammer & chisel to remove/install the old ones, instead of using the socket. I usually try to replace these with new nuts, but in the event I can't, I always make sure to grind off any sharp edges/protrusions and file them flat/smooth afterwards.

While you're at it, you'll need a standard 3/4", 1/2"-drive socket for the axle shaft bolts (tight fit at shoulder, I can't get impact sockets to fit, only standard sockets...but you shouldn't need an impact gun to get these off either). A good scraper or sharpened chisel will help get the old axle shaft gasket remains off of the hub & axle shaft seat (usually there's a good slathering of RTV left on these). A good-quality wire brush will help get the remnants off, as well as any rust and set up a nice sealing surface when it's all done and ready to be put back together.

I use the blue shop towel paper towels to remove all the old grease & gunk, then dispose of them at my local county Hazmat acceptance center (YMMV, your decision). I use LOTS of Purple Power degreaser (Walmart, NAPA, CarQuest, AutoZone, O'Reilleys, et al carry it) to clean as much of the leftover residue off of everything, and definitely do as the other members suggested: inspect the brake shoes and make sure that the linings aren't lifting off the shoe. If they look fine, and have grease/oil/whatever on them, use brake cleaner and an old toothbrush or cleaning brush to remove the gunk and dry them out. Once you reinstall everything and use the brakes a few times, the heat from this should burn off any remaining residue after a good brake cleaner soaking (as JeepSinker recommended).

And most importantly: please do as the other members all recommended, at least do the inspection on the brake wheel cylinders!! Sometimes, even after full rebuilds of brake systems on several other Deuces, I've had to remove the wheel cylinders and re-hone them (and install new rubber parts) to get them to work properly and stop leaking...even with a full flushing of the brake hard lines and replacement with braided stainless steel hoses, as well as NEW DOT-5 BFS, sometimes I get some residual gunk depositing in the bottom of the wheel cylinders that cause leakage. Happily though, after re-honing the cylinders to remove the gunk, and installing new internal parts, I haven't had any problems like this since, so it must be something residual that the flush didn't reach or the BFS is collecting it & depositing it in the wheel cylinders.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a handful of the cork plugs from gibb this weekend. They are the right nsn part # the tm calls for. They measure 1/4" wide by 3/8" long by 3/16" thick.
Nice! I've got a sheet of cork gasket material that I cut keyway plugs from as well...just make sure you use a sharp blade to make things easier, and you can cut the wedge profile as well. Then coat them with The Right Stuff and add a shot of it afterwards to the keyway, and you're in business.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And most importantly: please do as the other members all recommended, at least do the inspection on the brake wheel cylinders!! Sometimes, even after full rebuilds of brake systems on several other Deuces, I've had to remove the wheel cylinders and re-hone them (and install new rubber parts) to get them to work properly and stop leaking.............................
Related to this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ylinder-AH-HA!&p=534396&viewfull=1#post534396

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks