• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do I need to know about a CUCV

Madfarmersson

Hey,
I am planning to buy a military CUCV/blazer.
What do I need to look for, what do I need to know and what is a
very good cucv worth?
Also if you could tell me about your CUCV, what you like and dislike.

Madfarmersson.:tin hat:

sandcobra164

Quite a few folks would say the first thing you need to know is to "walkaway". Anyhow, I've got a CUCV truck and it's been great so far. One pet peeve is that with the stock tires and 4.56 gears in the truck, you're pretty much limited to 55 mph on the highway. The blazer's have 3.08's so they don't have that problem. The 24/12 volt hybrid system can be problematic as well as other electrical issues. Heck, read around the forum, there's plenty of drawbacks to owning older truck's unless you can do the wrench and multimeter work yourself. If you're good in that department, have fun with them. A good price depends on everything including location, condition and lately, if people have a tax refund that needs disposing of. I saw one on GL go for 4300 + fees and tax just today! I got a real deal on mine, search NOS USMC 1028 and you'll see my truck which was purchased private party for $2500 with only 2189 miles on it in perfect condition. New, not refurbished but that's one of those deal of the decade type things in my opinion.

kevin-m1008

Hey,
very good cucv worth?

When I purchased mine a few months ago I looked at potential vehicles as I would any 25+ year old vehicle. Plus the unique differences compared to a civilian version. They are fun vehicles and I use mine as a daily driver completely happy with it. Then again my drive to work is less then 4 miles each way. When I drive it to Portland ~90 miles each way, not so good for speed or ride quality but way better then my M715.
They are worth what you feel comfortable paying for it. But they are 25 years old so unless you are handy with tools they may not be the best purchase.
What I like and dislike is a very long list but I do prefer older vehicles and they are easy to work on and have the most heavy duty parts for the era they were built. or at least the pickups do the blazers not so much but are serviceable. I would still pick up a M1009 if I found one for the right price the MPG are good for a full size.

Lastly they are a hobby vehicle which means to me you do work on them more then some new Honda whatever car...

Madfarmersson

Thanks for posting everybody.
I live on a farm and ranch so I am pretty good with wrenches and older
vehicles. I love my duce but it takes a little more effort to drive it to town
so I have been eye balling a CUCV. I drive a Ford Ranger right now
and its problem is it is not MILITARY, in my book military means all.

Madfarmersson.

tnttnt187

I purchased a M1009 blazer a couple of years ago. I have a blast in it. Although i would not want to take the wife and kids on vacation in it. I would recommend reading through the site and understanding the vehicles systems ie: electrical. Then break out yours tools:lol:

rnd-motorsports

if you want it to drive 1009 would be a great driver parts are still out there really not as bad as some lead you to think you can expect about 20-22 mpg now for the truck 1008 or 1028 a great work truck again parts are still out there low gear's so not a race truck about 55 as is is all you get. My 1028 is a great daily driver and gets about 18 mpg any one you look at just remember they are 20+ years old and will need a little work unless you get one from somebody that has done the work. but whats the fun in that [thumbzup]

OL AG '89

Hey,
very good cucv worth?

1.) You already own a duece so the 25 yr old vehicle issue is a non-issue, if you do your own work on the duece.

2.) Do the Gl, GSA & private party sales to determine what fits your budget. (realize there are many things that can go wrong purchasing from GL & GSA, ask me how I know....) you will probably pay more for private party, but if they haven't been able to trash the vehicle you are in good shape!!

3.) As far as my CUCV, go to my album and check it out. 4" lift with 33x12.5x15 Toyo A/T's, done the DH relay swap, 12 vlt GP conversion, fluids, console, ready to install tach, stereo and offroad lights
4.) I LIKE EVERYTHING about it, cause its easy to fix when/if it breaks.
The wife has other opinions, but doesn't mind when the boys and I go play in the mud.

tnttnt187

Sounds like it is just what I want. Being non-turbo diesel will it smoke more?

Madfarmersson. :jumpin:
Mine does the old diesel start puff but no clouds when warm or acceleration. Also, when looking at these mv's and sure you already know this watch out for butcher that may have worked on the truck.Try to get a virgin :grin:M1009

monkeythumbs

I just picked a M1009 from a private party last weekend ( Ebay ) and so far totally happy with it and amazed by the condition of the truck. I looked for quite a while on GSA and GL and never found one for the right price ( location/condition/price were factors ) , but you may get lucky and find the right one for you. I decided to go the private party route because I wanted a truck that I could drive right away. When I factored in the time of winning an auction, picking up, and then the wait time for Title, a private party premium was worth it. If you do a search of completed auctions on Ebay (M1009's) it should pop up(Chicago,IL) . The description /pictures weren't the best, but what he didn't say that it was rust free. In my opinion if he would have it could have went higher IMO. Take your time, and you'll find your truck.

Red_506

I got my 1009 private party from a friend, and I love the **** thing. It drives really well, I don't get the black smoke out of the exhaust. As stated by most everyone there is work that needs to be done as they are 25+ year old vehicles; but its not that bad. Overall I would say that the pluses out weigh the minuses greatly.

DXTAC

GO FOR IT! I sold a REALLY nice 1997 Jeep TJ and bought my 1009 about a year and a half ago and I have no regrets. Runs great (now), transmission shifts great (after a rebuild), starts great (sometimes), tracks nice and straight (now), gets better mileage than my Jeep, carries more than the Jeep, tows more than the Jeep. You get the idea. I am fairly mechanically inclined and can do most repairs myself. So I would say if you like to tinker, go for it.

BTW my 1009 is NOT my daily driver even though I drive it most of the time. I do have a reliable VW that I can drive if I have Mongo torn apart.

CHEERS and welcome to the insanity!

idM1028

@ dstang97: The M1028's have a NP205. Plus a limited slip in the front :grin: Unfortunatley it's the slip yoke version NP205 :( M1008's and 1009's have slip yoke NP208's.
Pretty much everything that's been said so far is spot on. Prices for more or less mechanically sound CUCV's start at about $2K. Highest I've seen is $6K. If you're willing to deal with the noise, lack of creature comforts (depends on your definition; I've slept in mine, but it still needs a stereo) and low top speeds (at least everything other than the 1009) they're great trucks. They're built like tanks, parts are pretty easy to find, and they're easy to work on. I've only seen mine puff black smoke once and I was pumping the h*** outta the skinny pedal on a cold morning trying to get it started. I just laid off, gave it a few more trys and success [thumbzup]