• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do I need to know about a CUCV

pmramsey

We run four M1028 and all see service everyday except on the days when something breaks. Short daily trips to the co-op, pulling a trailer. We run a dodge 2500 /six-speed with the 4.11 rear for serious road work. We added a compressor and contoller and even move several of the MV trailers with it. I just hate being able to pull something but not being able to stop it. This Cummins now has over 300,000 miles on it and it remains right as rain. But,if you want a Cummins, buy a late 90s dodge and rebuild it. From my perspective, throwing a Cummins into a mid 80s GM product is like taking a pee in a dark suit; one gets a warm feeling and the event goes mostly unnoticed. Your long-term satisfaction will be far shorter than expected.

rnd-motorsports

idm10298 Not true about the 205 transfer case the normal m1028 have the 208 just like the m1008 the diff it the two is factory overload spring in the rear and the front limited slip no other real diffs. and No madfarmersson these do not smoke at all to say I only get a bit of smoke at start up when its cold then really not bad besides smoke is just wasted fuel! and at 4.00 gal smoke be bad! :driver:

idM1028

@RND Not to start a p***ing contest, but I must respectfully disagree. Mine's a M1028 with the NP205. Check out the pics:
1. Looks just like a M1008.
2. Data plate says its an M1028 though.
3. Shifter for my t-case. Notice how it doesn't have the shift window like the NP208's do. The shift pattern from front to back: 4L, N, 2H, 4H. No crooked, dog-leg shift pattern either. Just back and forth in a straight line.
4. The actual T-case. Notice the aluminum slip yoke and the funky magnet stuck to the case. I could get a magnet to stick because its cast iron like all NP205's not aluminum like the NP208's.
5. My rear leaves with the two overload springs.
Is it possible that someone threw the transfer case, data plate, and rear leaves on the truck? Yes, but as far as I know the truck is all original, the VIN code says it has a GVWR between 9,000 and 10,000 lbs (which should be right for a M1028 according to the data plate on the truck) and it seems like an awful lot of work to go to. Plus, check the TM. The M1028A1's and M1031's were equipped with NP205's.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks