• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you build?

74M35A2

No, he means an "M67" which is a military fuel fired heater designed to heat 30 or 50 gallon drums of liquid. It basically looks like a 4" stove pipe that drips liquid into the bottom and burns. I think it is rated at 30k or 35k BTU:

http://www.military-tent.com/imheunco.html

I calculated roughly 75k BTU of actual water temp increase of the wood fired heater I made, not counting the heat radiated from the barrel stove or its chimney. This was 450 gallons of water rising 5F every 13 minutes, so you'd need 2.5 of the M67's just to match the performance. I wanted to use finned tubes like a trans cooler within the drum, but could not readily find one with threaded fittings.

Another Ahab

I made a fire pit out of two 5ton wheels.
I went camping at Seven Falls outside of Tucson once. It got very cold that night. Your fire pit would have come in handy!

It looks great. Have you used it yet?
That is a VERY cool item. Two questions:

- Nice work either way, but did you make the cut with oxy-acetylene or the plasma cutter?

- Have you "test-driven" it yet; how's it burn!?

Another Ahab

I went camping at Seven Falls outside of Tucson once. It got very cold that night. Your fire pit would have come in handy!

It looks great. Have you used it yet?[/QUOTE]

not yet. I literally just finished it. The welds are probably still warm...
One thing for sure, once that sucker heats up, it's going to hold its heat for a LONG time; nice item! :naner:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a VERY cool item. Two questions:

- Nice work either way, but did you make the cut with oxy-acetylene or the plasma cutter?

- Have you "test-driven" it yet; how's it burn!?
Plasma cutter. I didn't grind them afterwards.

I welded it with stick. One pass with 1/8" 6010 @ 110 amps to get the penetration, then two additional passes with 3/32" 7018 rod @90 amps. I did it all in the more or less vertical position, turning them as needed.

Tha ks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks