• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think of this Deuce? (pictures and starting video)

I went to look at this neat old Deuce today. It is a 1965 model. The owner is asking $2600.

The owner used it as an off-road RV - he has converted the shop box on the back into an area that sleeps 4 with 2 bunks, and has a stove and a sink with pressurized water with a tank and pump stored under one of the bunks. It has 4 batteries, 2 in the normal battery compartment and 2 in the tool box under the passenger side.

I couldn't drive the Deuce as it has no brakes - owner suspects there might be some issue with the master cylinder or a linkage. The brake pedal was so easy to press to the floor you could probably do it with one finger. Not sure if this could be a linkage or what - did this year have the air over hydraulic brakes?

However, he did start the engine. This engine did not have a turbocharger on it. He said he has always used a little bit of ether to get it going. He said it will start without a spray of ether but it takes a lot of cranking. After letting it idle for a few minutes I shut it off and hit the starter again without using any ether and it fired right up.

Here is the work he says he has had done on the truck -

Flush radiator
New steer tires
4 new truck batteries
New steering boots (ball joints maybe?)
Got trans and rear ends serviced
Changed all fluids, filters, and greased everything

The owner said that this Deuce has full time 6WD - I wasn't sure of what all the levers did, so is this true? No transfer case?

The owner was one of those meticulous people that had all the documentation organized - it has a NC title, and he had the invoices from all the work he has had done on the truck - one totaling well over $4000 - everything from repacking bearings, replacing fluids, to redoing the fuel tank since it had sat for a long time and had some rust in it, etc, as well as all the paperwork for all the loops he had to go through to get a title for the truck originally.

Here are some pictures I took as well as a video of us starting the engine and one of the gauges while the engine is running.

I'd really appreciate some opinions on this Deuce. This is not "exactly" the truck I have been looking for (would love to have a turbocharged engine and a bed with the dropsides) but I think there is something to be said for the amount of work that the owner has put into this truck. He has a new truck camper now that is a lot more comfortable for he and his wife. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to find a bed to put on a truck like this if I wanted to.

Thanks,

Dennis

And here is the video

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Diesel_Fuel_Only/?action=view&current=deuce-1.flv

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting front tires I must say. But it all depends on what you'll use it for. I noticed no heater so I hope you arnt going camping up north during the winter. Since it has no turbo I'd push for $2500, but $2600 seems fair depending on what you do with it. 2cents

Heavysteven

I agree with 2,600. Things i did not like, no turbo, no heat, non winch, no brakes (master cylinder airpack lines), either to start, the headlights being lower is a give away the truck is old, hard top is homemade, and you can't drive it.

I would preview and buy off GL. Good Luck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If he has the stuff to prove it is maintained, buy the truck! I am cheap, I would still ask for 2400. A maintained truck is worth way more than a GL truck. Brakes are an easy fix.

gunboy1656

Things i did not like, no turbo, no heat, non winch, no brakes (master cylinder airpack lines), either to start, the headlights being lower is a give away the truck is old, hard top is homemade, and you can't drive it.

These may be problems, but they are corrective issues. Hardest thing would be the turbo.

How long has the truck sat with no brakes? How often (how many times) he start it with either?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im with you gunboy, sounds like he used either quite a bit to start it....that would make me nervous. Maybe the truck has old fuel in it and thats why it is hard to start? How much do you think this truck would be worth if it was an M35A2, treated the exact same? basically, how much more value is the M109A2, vs. the M35A2?

He said he parked the truck after using it in a parade. After about 2 months he went to use it again and said the brake pedal went straight to the floor.

As for the ether, he said he uses it every time on the first "cold" start... that worries me a little bit... I think I will try to hold off to find a Deuce with a turbo and a regular bed on it... but still wanted to get some opinions on this one.

Green_gator

First question is do you want a 109 that is a camper? If that is the case then this is a good start. From what I could tell from the pictures it does not look like it has much of a rust/water problem. If the outer shell leaks then they will quickly develop rust along the bottom of the inner panels. The brake issue may be a fairly simple fix as it is not uncommon. I have not seen a lot of the shop vans with winches so that is fairly normal. The lack of a turbo is the only thing that would really concern me as it makes quite a bit of difference. Overall $2,600 is a good price but I would try to get a bit off of that since you will probably spend the money to add the turbo and have some brake repairs.

gunboy1656

2 months without brakes, not bad. Might be a simple fix.

The either thing bothers me, you should not need to use it to start on cold starts. Unless it has the either start system (which I doubt), and even still should not be needed every time.

If it was an M35, I would guess the price would be considerably less. Due to the "work" he put into making the camper

dittle

The "needing either for cold starts" may just be from the fuel system having air leak into it after the truck has been shut down for a while combined with a non-functioning in-tank fuel pump. Have seen several trucks need ether to start the first time (or a lot of cranking) because of this exact reason.

airmech3839

It looks like the truck use to have a winch...bumper is different color and missing lower half of grill.... same problem I have... If you get it let me know if you wanna swap front tires with me!! I would like to have some street rubber under the front...I drive my deuce everyday so it would make life a little nicer.. My truck is the same way in the fuel bleeding down a little. It takes a little longer to crank first thing in the morning my IP and fuel lines have some seeps that are nagging at me...burning WMO doesnt help with cranking either.

maybe a good back-up truck for you...still get the cargo with winch!!

my 2 cents

saddamsnightmare

March 18th, 2010.

Dieselfuelonly:

How cold was it when the gentleman went to start it with the ether? My M35A2, when the starter cooperates (bad solenoid-another story for another time), will start down to the low 20*F without the manifold heater being used. A deuce multifuel should almost never need a starting assist until you get below the mid teens to mid twenties.... The brakes could be a minor or a major problem (hoses, lines or cylinder cups), the lack of a turboed engine should not worry you, the turbos were installed to clear the exhaust smoke not materially boost HP, and a turbo can be a problem when they act up (not if, WHEN), whereas the NA engines go along nicely without the complication, and do not need the long idle time to bring down the turbo to a stop.
:-o Rather odd cab enclosure on there, looks like Goober from Mayberry's been building non mil spec cab roofs, and the front bumper does seem to be a unit modified thing, I guess they didn't like the sling point clevises cutting into their winch set up. $2100.00 would be my valuation, as the truck is gonna need some TLC and parts do cost $$$$.
Just my .02 worth, I have a NA deuce and it rarely acts up (starter solenoid excepted).:shock:

Good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

Last edited:
We used ether to start the truck today, i was spraying a little bit in the video, I just didn't have the camera in the right position while he was cranking the truck. It was about 65* out.... I agree that it shouldn't have needed ether to start in weather like this.

I shut it down after about 4 minutes of idling and then hit the starter without spraying ether and it fired right back up instantly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks