• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does the < symbol on the sides of military vehicles mean?

TacticalDoc

I see a lot of vehicles with a V < > ^ symbols on them. I believe they are coalition forces symbols but I'm not sure. Also what does it mean when its pointed up, forward or down?

I was thinking of putting a WWII invasion star on my 1980s 5 ton but I want a more period accurate symbols.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Desert Storm, we painted them on our tanks & armored vehicles with the point facing forward as a method of IFF; our tank company used the forward-facing point (sideways "V" to look like < or >...hmmm, now I've got to figure out a way to add a tank into an HTML comment markup). I don't remember if other companies distinguished themselves with different-facing chevrons or not....dang memory...

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead some of us don't have your talent. I am one of them can't search worth a crap.I come up with every thing but what I am looking for. Then I get distracted.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get distracted, you always end up with women on the screen.

Csm Davis

Division Recognition Techniques.
Combat Vehicle Marking System. The division's combat, CS, and CSS vehicles are marked for rapid identification from the rear and sides (see Figure H-1). This enhances control during battle by providing quick and easy visual identification of units on the battlefield. It also helps when reconstituting forces and in the prevention of fratricide. This section prescribes standard symbols for marking division vehicles. The following restrictions apply when marking vehicles:
Use only standard chemical-agent-resistant coating paint (black and sand).
Markings apply to all specified vehicles within the organization.
Markings consist of numbers and chevrons of the style and size this section describes; locations are standardized.
Major Subordinate Command Vehicle Markings. Vehicles of the divisions MSCs are identified by a combination of a single half-chevron and a two-digit numeric identifier. They always begin with a zero and have a single half-chevron placed immediately adjacent and to the right of the numeric identifier. Assigned division MSC numeric identifiers are:
00\ Division headquarters and headquarters company.
01\ 1st brigade.
02\ 2d brigade.
03\ 3d brigade.
04\ Aviation brigade.
05\ DIVARTY.
06\ DISCOM.
07\ DIVENG.
Unit Identifiers. Table H-6 shows the digits and symbols that are assigned to division units.
Marking Size. The space between the numbers and the half-chevron on vehicle markings is 2 inches. Side and rear markings are placed on doors or other flat surfaces and must not be obstructed by equipment, camouflage nets, or other miscellaneous items. Marking location and size may be adjusted to accommodate the type of vehicle.
Table H-6. Unit identifiers.
IDUNITIDUNITIDUNIT
OO\
01\Div HHC
1st Bde03\
73d Bde
___Mech 05\
1DIVARTY
___FA
3 ___Mech
___AR
___AR8
0 ___Mech
___AR
___AR2
4 ___FA
___FA
__/__MLRS
02\2d bde04\Avn Bde5__/__TAB
6___Mech
___Mech
___AR3
6___AHB
___AHB
___CAC
___AHC/3
/1
06\
/6___ADA Bn
___Engr Bde
DISCOM
MSB/FSBs
IDUNIT
/2
/4
/5
/7
/8___Cav Sqdn
___MI Bn
___Sig Bn
___MP Co
___Cml Co

Separate Battalions, Squadrons, and Companies. Vehicles assigned to division units are identified by a half-chevron and a two-digit numeric identifier combination. The first digit of the two-digit identifier designates the battalion or squadron and the second digit identifies subordinate company, troop, or battery-size units. The accompanying half-chevron identifies the vehicle as a division separate battalion, squadron, or company. These half-chevron identifiers are placed immediately adjacent and to the left of the numeric identifiers. Division unit identification markings are:
/1 Engineer brigade.
/2 Cavalry squadron.
/3 ADA battalion.
/4 MI battalion.
/5 Signal battalion.
/6 Division main and FSBs. (Note. /60 = MSB; /61 = 1st FSB/62;= 2d FSB; /63 = 3d FSB).
/7 MP company.
/8 Chemical company.
Company, Troop, and Battery Markings. Company, troop, and battery-level units are assigned the following numbers:
0 Headquarters and headquarters company/troop/battery.
1 A company/troop/battery.
2 B company/troop/battery.
3 C company/troop/battery.
4 D company/troop/battery.
5 E company.
Platoon Markings. Platoons (or sections) are identified by the application of a single or double directional chevron. They are applied along with battalion- and company-equivalent identifiers. Figure H-2 shows platoon identifiers.
Vehicle Top Markings. When directed, combat vehicles near or used in CAS missions will display one US17 panel on top of the vehicle. Panels must be removed after CAS missions if air superiority is not maintained. Chemical lights are placed on top of all vehicles for night recognition by friendly aircraft. Three lights are placed horizontally on any flat, open surface, protected from observation by enemy forces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks