• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What goes here?

Woodsplinter

I removed the propeller shaft between the transfer case and the front rear differential so I could remove the parking brake shoes. On the end of the tube facing the parking brake drum is a hole.

The TM states that there is supposed to be a "breather" there. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get one. The breather cap that is used on top of the axles would be too tall. The edge of the hole is ragged and I can't tell if it was ever threaded but the TM indicates it was.

Grease has apparently been leaking out of the hole for some time as there is plenty around the parking brake drum shield.

The breather is listed as item 2 in the TM.

Thanks!
IMG_1398.jpgView attachment Deuce Propeller Shaft.pdf

Woodsplinter

That hole allows excess grease to exit the slip joint when it compresses. I've never seen one capped with anything and I wouldn't put anything in there.
The more I look into this, the more inclined I am to agree with you. But I am curious why the TM indicates there is a breather or relief valve there.

Woodsplinter

It may just be referring to the hole itself. The hole will relieve quite a bit of excess grease.
On the TM it shows a drawing of the "breather" and instructs you to remove it when taking things apart and to replace it upon reassembly. I can't find a part number for it though.

After disassembling the shaft, I can see from the hole where the grease zerk is installed, out through the hole in the end of the tube. It appears that grease pumped in here could just be pushed out the hole when the shaft compresses.

rustystud

Most modern trucks and busses just use a metered orifice (small hole) relief valve now. If you do not allow the grease to escape you will have a hydrolock in your driveline ! Things tend to get bent when this happens ! Usually the metal cap ( looks like a freeze plug) just blows out.

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

Most modern trucks and busses just use a metered orifice (small hole) relief valve now. If you do not allow the grease to escape you will have a hydrolock in your driveline ! Things tend to get bent when this happens ! Usually the metal cap ( looks like a freeze plug) just blows out.
Ok, I see what you mean. So would you leave the hole open or install the metering valve?

Woodsplinter

Well they say if you learn just one new thing than the day wasn't a waste. I have worked on everything from lawn mowers to Cat D9 bulldozers over the last 40+ years and have never run across one of those relief valve assemblies. Interesting.
Yes Bob, I agree it certainly is interesting- I have quite a knack for stumbling onto "interesting" things. Unfortunately I usually end up scratching my head and wandering off not having a clue what I just found. :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know if Phil has you covered. The one I grabed has a ball and spring and two little relief holes in the sides of the hex head. Then it has a what looks like a very small pop out plug in the center of the hex head. Yea I can see now if something like that was not there and you pumped in too much grease seems like you could blow off the seal retaining cap and seal messing up the threads for shure. I would think any drive line shop would have them if you can't wait.

rustystud

Does that valve allow grease to escape or just air? Do you think an auto parts store would carry them?
If it doesn't allow grease to escape, I agree with Rusty that it would be bad to install.
I didn't say it would be bad, I said you need a relief valve to prevent damage. If the grease has no where to go, (as when the driveline is moving in and out) it will act just like a hydro-locked engine and bend or break parts ! I would use the new relief plug as this will prevent crap from entering the slip yoke. If you have too, just tap a new thread into the end. The relief valve allows excess grease a way out.

Woodsplinter

I didn't say it would be bad, I said you need a relief valve to prevent damage. If the grease has no where to go, (as when the driveline is moving in and out) it will act just like a hydro-locked engine and bend or break parts ! I would use the new relief plug as this will prevent crap from entering the slip yoke. If you have too, just tap a new thread into the end. The relief valve allows excess grease a way out.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I just sent a PM to Phil.

nchittendon

Interesting. So it's something similar to the "breather" found on the axles? The little spring loaded cap that farts air out.....

I can't imagine it would last long due to grease catching everything and just hanging onto it. Wouldn't take long to clog up IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks