• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What goes here?

Woodsplinter

Interesting. So it's something similar to the "breather" found on the axles? The little spring loaded cap that farts air out.....

I can't imagine it would last long due to grease catching everything and just hanging onto it. Wouldn't take long to clog up IMHO.
No, not the same breather. Check out the link earlier in the thread for a pic.

nchittendon

I know its not the same, I said similar to what's in the axle. One way pressure relief. And I did see the pic earlier in the thread, but it doesn't show the inner workings.

rustystud

I know its not the same, I said similar to what's in the axle. One way pressure relief. And I did see the pic earlier in the thread, but it doesn't show the inner workings.
This relief doesn't allow anything back in unlike the axle breather. It's a one-way only relief valve used when there is too much grease in the slip yoke.

nchittendon

This relief doesn't allow anything back in unlike the axle breather. It's a one-way only relief valve used when there is too much grease in the slip yoke.
This would be where my confusion stems from.......The axle breather lets air back in as well!? I was under the understanding that the axle breather was one way only......

Woodsplinter

I'd just leave it open unless you plan on mud bogging.
I would be okay with that except that the grease shield around that open end was coated with about 1/2" of grease. The end of the propeller shaft was nearly empty of grease, although it was next to the grease zerk. The splines were, however coated with plenty of grease. If both sections of the shaft are compressed as close to each other as possible, there is about a 2" "empty" space inside the tube. The location of the zerk is about 1" from the end of the splined shaft when installed on the truck.

This makes me wonder how the grease gets all the way to the "in-board" end of the splines- if the grease travels towards the transfer case, it will fall into the empty portion of the tube and won't lube anything.

Im sure this is confusing without a pic so I'll post on as soon as I can.

jhooah

If you read through the Army manuals, PMCS (Preventative Maintenence Checks and Services) would call for greasing the joint during it's periodic maintenence. Simple enough, GI wipes the grease fitting clean, squirts in a few pumps on the grease gun until as the old grease emeges out the relief fitting, then (THEN) he wipes away the excess and moves on to the next fitting. This way he doesn't shove the axle shaft backward damaging u-joints by hydraulic pressure, or blow any seals in things like M113 hubs (at one point they switched to oil filled hubs with a viewer window then back to grease)

But if you have been around US Army material, you will find these simple devices employed on many grease point fittings. Nothing new here and I would install one if you can find it, or forgo fording until you do, or water and dirt will enter the shaft end and slowly destroy the joint, etc.
Not that complex. just a zerk relief fitting.
V/R W. Winget

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the axle vent is designed to let air out and other stuff not in. the grease vent is designed to let grease out and other stuff not in. similar but not the same, the grease vent needs to dump a lot of grease quickly in some cases to prevent damage. put what belongs there back in.

Woodsplinter

the axle vent is designed to let air out and other stuff not in. the grease vent is designed to let grease out and other stuff not in. similar but not the same, the grease vent needs to dump a lot of grease quickly in some cases to prevent damage. put what belongs there back in.
Thanks Tom- Phil is sending me a grease vent which should fit. Nothing was there when I got the truck so it's been a mystery until now. Not being a mechanic, I had no idea such a thing existed.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tom- Phil is sending me a grease vent which should fit. Nothing was there when I got the truck so it's been a mystery until now. Not being a mechanic, I had no idea such a thing existed.
Sounds like you got one on the way. Good deal, good to know what it was called.

Woodsplinter

I would be okay with that except that the grease shield around that open end was coated with about 1/2" of grease. The end of the propeller shaft was nearly empty of grease, although it was next to the grease zerk. The splines were, however coated with plenty of grease. If both sections of the shaft are compressed as close to each other as possible, there is about a 2" "empty" space inside the tube. The location of the zerk is about 1" from the end of the splined shaft when installed on the truck.

This makes me wonder how the grease gets all the way to the "in-board" end of the splines- if the grease travels towards the transfer case, it will fall into the empty portion of the tube and won't lube anything.

Im sure this is confusing without a pic so I'll post on as soon as I can.
This should give an idea of how everything fits together:
Not sure how the grease gets from the zerk back toward the diff.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks