• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happens when you mix an M-818 with ideas peppered with too much testosterone?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx, but I have to keep reminding myself that this IS NOT a restoration, but simply an experiment. You know how it is...you get an idea in your head, and you can't rest till you figure out if it can actually be done. Haven't spent much thought on the front axle issue yet; it shouldn't have too much problem getting around with the locking diffs and axles. Trying to earn a living keeps interfering. Also, this model does not include a winch, maybe the next one will have the upgrade. Lifting capacity is 12,750# (boom tucked in), and 7900# fully extended.

drdstny

Banned
Not sure if this will come out very clearly, but this is a picture of the saddle from inside mine. The green webbed parts are the iron pieces that I'm 99% sure you cut off and tossed aside. The "brown" parts in this pic are the engagement sliders from the "joint" between the halves.

Based on the first pictures in this thread, you cut the frame right behind the green crossmember facing the camera. I'd be interested in that entire chunk, all the way to and including the flanges that bolt to the coupler. Also, depending on assembly year, the MHU could have 2 captive bolts that engage the "brown" tubes in this image. Long about '88, they switched to a pair of pins on the articulation joint. If you have those bolts, I would be very interested in those too.

Attachments

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we had our first public unveiling in Belleview today. Very gratified by the response from the attendees. Had a great time and picked up some nice accessories.
BTW, the 10-ton tractor pictured took "Best of Show" honors.

Attachments

lstmate

2cents I think an American Flag haning form the boom when displayed as it was at Belleview would really enhance the impression and the display. You might have to tie the bottom to the truck. I know it is yours to display as you wish but a flag from a raised crane boom is always impressive.

ke5eua

Finally got all the brakes and hydraulics hooked up. Still working the front end gear ratio issue. At least I can play with it now and work on the cosmetics. By the way, the wife says I have to start charging admission to view this thread. Something about no work and all play.....
Sorry for digging up an old thread but how did you do your pto? That looks like the transfer or am I just not looking correctly?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like the pto/pump is mounted on the transmission, it is to LOW for the transfer, and way to the right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks