• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happens when you mix an M-818 with ideas peppered with too much testosterone?

M920

Solid Tank Tow Rig

Here is my solution to your towing/transport problem. Started with an M920 (for wheelbase and spare tire carrier) Added a 600hp cummins ISX engine and a 18 speed fuller Roadranger RTLO tranny, switched the axle ratios to 4.88's and added a telecom. box as a sleeper and you have a 78mph tow rig thats unstopable. It even gives a decent ride on the 445/65 R 22.5 Michelin,s.
I drive it all over the US....

Attachments

chgofiveo

Here is my solution to your towing/transport problem. Started with an M920 (for wheelbase and spare tire carrier) Added a 600hp cummins ISX engine and a 18 speed fuller Roadranger RTLO tranny, switched the axle ratios to 4.88's and added a telecom. box as a sleeper and you have a 78mph tow rig thats unstopable. It even gives a decent ride on the 445/65 R 22.5 Michelin,s.
Can you say...BAD A$$ RIG?????????

:drool::drool::drool:
Nice truck Bro!!

area52

Hey we know who you are!!

Aren't you the fella with the other tricked out 900 tractor? The one that has a S250? shelter on the back and you tow your rock crawler around with it?

Bring it over to Aztec sometime!!:grin:

edit: maybe its that one in the picture duh! dont' mind me

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
M920, welcome to the site. It would be great to see you and your trucks at one of the rallys. Check out the Haspin 2010 thread. :)

M920

It is the same truck...... Unfortunately I only have one....Lol

Anyway...I'm in Farmington all the time...would like to check out your toys....

Crash_AF

Haven't measured the wheelbase yet, but the overall length is 33 feet. It's not advisable to weld along the flange. I used the inner frame member from old tandem to reinforce the main truck frame. Also welded a support plate (photo) to the front of the trailer frame and bolted it to the truck frame.
So it's a foot longer than a 927 X-long wheel base cargo truck... that's not too bad. What size is the bed? The 927 is a 20' bed, wondering how this compares. I'm sure the turning radius is hideous due to the rear axles being at the rear of the frame instead of forward though.

Later,
Joe

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure the turning radius is hideous due to the rear axles being at the rear of the frame instead of forward though.

Turning radius is all relative.

As compared to the Space Shuttle upon reentry at Mach 25+... it takes half the Pacific Ocean to do a 90 degree turn.

On the otherhand, if you want tight turns, try a Tracked- or Skid-Steer vehicle and spin around in your own length.

Once again, I MUST ask.... What MISSION was this beautiful beast concieved to perform:?: Inquiring minds want to know:!:

BTW: There are only FOUR words in the entire English dictionary that end with the letters D-O-U-S..... they are;

TREMENDOUS

STUPENDOUS

HORRENDOUS

and

HAZARDOUS

I think that, depending upon one's perspective of this GIANT among MVs, ALL of these aptly describe her.

Roll On!, oh Great Modifier of Olive Iron.

:driver::not worthy:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx for the kudos. It has a 16' bed. I plan on removing the troop seats inside. They tend to smack the s**t out of you when you lower the sides. As for the mission of this vehicle, the possibilities are endless. I just wanted to see if it would work! Plus it will be real handy around the yard, loading/unloading gensets, axles, etc. I figure some of the other uses would be ideal for a land development company, unloading drain pipes, etc. Almost anything where a crane is needed in an offroad environment. But I plan on playing with it for awhile, giving it a good paint job, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. Unless, of course, someone comes along with a fat wallet..........

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This 5-ton build is simply freakin' awesome. Now finally those who bid on those Mk17 beds will have something to use them for, unless they happen to have a front end of one laying around.

Great build, great pics!

roscoe

Thanx for the kudos. It has a 16' bed. I plan on removing the troop seats inside. They tend to smack the s**t out of you when you lower the sides. As for the mission of this vehicle, the possibilities are endless. I just wanted to see if it would work! Plus it will be real handy around the yard, loading/unloading gensets, axles, etc. I figure some of the other uses would be ideal for a land development company, unloading drain pipes, etc. Almost anything where a crane is needed in an offroad environment. But I plan on playing with it for awhile, giving it a good paint job, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. Unless, of course, someone comes along with a fat wallet..........
Love to have that machine -- but my wallets not fat right now.:cry:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first time I laid eyes on one of those MK 17's that same idea hit me like a deuce.

My prob was that they were all too far away for me to get one without shipping eating my lunch.

That is a fantastic fab job and just about the same as I would have done it.

You Sir, ARE DA MAN, when it comes to cool fabs.

I will never be able to look at Jessica (my M915) again without outrageous fabrication in my heart. She is prob quaking in her tires.

Now that I think of it a M916 or M920 would make an awesome donor front end for a MK17 rear........they already have air brakes and the ratio might be closer than the 818.

What did you do with the 5th wheel????

Seatyger

Outrageous, awesome and with enough practical application thrown in to make it functionally useful...................a machine that even a wife would have a hard time denying its merit!

Sorry if I begin to drool and act like a little kid. Great build!

Army Ed

OMG,thats beautiful.....nice rig

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks