• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jeep Nasty

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439845843.784851.jpg
Gave her a fresh coat of paint while I have the bed off for the bob job. Need to paint the bed next then reinstall.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished mounting the Go-Light I got from Gimp a while back, Thanks buddy. Just have to do the wiring now. I was going to make my own mount but glad I held off. Found this antenna mount (had a ring of magnets on the top?) on a truck, at a place I frequent and used it instead. Already had the correct angle for the muffler support so it was just bolt and go.

20150817_215727.jpg

20150817_215740.jpg

I snapped a couple of photos while I was there, of some vehicles I've only seen in pictures as of yet. The HET was impressive. There were more of the bridge trucks scattered about.

20150814_072320.jpg

20150814_102110.jpg

20150814_100659.jpg

Last edited:

sed6

My question is is the small tire davit strong enough for the super single.
Plus you removed the bracing.
Yes! And no. With the bracing in place the davit flexes downward about 2" under the weight of the larger tire. Without the bracing it flexes down about 3". In both cases moderate upward and inward pressure is required to move the tire into the storage position. This is mostly because the tire is so tall and the davit short so the tire drags on bottom of the rack. That said I still consider it pretty easy (and safe) to move that ~350lb tire on and off the truck. Clearly the mfgr didn't find it okay as they increased the height and strength of the davit on the stock super single trucks.

machinist75

Yes! And no. With the bracing in place the davit flexes downward about 2" under the weight of the larger tire. Without the bracing it flexes down about 3". In both cases moderate upward and inward pressure is required to move the tire into the storage position. This is mostly because the tire is so tall and the davit short so the tire drags on bottom of the rack. That said I still consider it pretty easy (and safe) to move that ~350lb tire on and off the truck. Clearly the mfgr didn't find it okay as they increased the height and strength of the davit on the stock super single trucks.

my truck has the same problem but I have the convoy light poles bolted to the back of the cab. Do you thing the tire will fit with the poles back there?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
I also moved my spare tire to behind the cab. It was tight as it is a 1984 M923. Had to move the intake piping and I will be widening the braces for the rack. It is just ratchet strapped in place now. I replaced the electric oil pressure sender with a mechanical gauge as I thought the oil pressure sender was bad as it indicated about 95 psi at idle cold and 60+ psi warm. Turns out the mechanical gauge reads about the same, go figure! I guess I just have some pretty good oil pressure for a 30+ year old Cummins NHC250. So I will be reinstalling the original military gauge and sender and "T" the mechanical gauge sender and install the mechanical under the dash. I will have duplicate gauges, will provide photos when I reinstall the electric gauge. Changed the oil and filter for my first time today. Used my porta-a-quick oil change bucket to suck out about 4 gallons and then needed to only catch about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons from the pan. Nice clean used oil came out of the pan:)

Jeep Nasty

Seeing all of these pics of trucks being painted makes me glad that I bought one that was done already.. I tend to suck at painting :p

Great job guys.. They look sweet :) :goodjob:
I suck at painting. More accurately I suck at prep. you can still get decent results with a strong pressure wash to remove flaking paint, a wagner power sprayer and home depot marquee paint with primer.
but if you want very good results you have to put in the hours on prep.

sed6

my truck has the same problem but I have the convoy light poles bolted to the back of the cab. Do you thing the tire will fit with the poles back there?
Doubtful. The tire is in contact with both the front of the bed and the back of the cab (actually with the 1\2 metal loops that hold the super rope). If the pole sticks out no further than those loops you might be okay.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Saturday, Aug. 15, I went to a car show with my Dad and his '30 Ford Model A benefiting the Semper Fi Fund. It was out in Downey, CA at a cool retro Bob's Big Boy coffee shop/drive in. It was nice HOT 95+º day.
This was the longest road trip since installing full air brakes on the truck. All worked perfectly.

DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0003.jpgBob's Big Boy Broiler.jpg

Another Ahab

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost got done with the hood swap but the weather wasn't cooperating. I've got to finish bolting the fenders and the outside fixtures. I've got about 6.5 hours in removal of the old hood and I'll have about 1.5 hours on the install. With the hood being new and most of the captured nuts being on the hood itself, the install is going pretty quick. I had a buddy come over to lower the old hood and lift the new one but I've had the rest of the work to myself. Had to cut out 17 bolts and half of those were with a Dremel due to access. I had to drill out 2 of them because I couldn't even get the Drenel in there and needed to save the nuts on the grill. Most were just balls of rust with no chance of removal or even putting a socket on them. I think I see why RRAD just Bondoed over the dent now, lol.

I took the time to prime and paint the mating surfaces on the fenders and grill since I won't be able to get to them again. I'm using all new bolts with antiseize. With this almost behind me, the whole truck will be getting painted and stenciled in the coming weeks. I've got a small amount of prep work to do then the paint will be a flying.

20150819_192441.jpg

20150819_192427.jpg

20150819_205918.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Availability of tires. I can go to any tire shop/truck stop and get a 11r24, if you blow a 14.00/20 you are at the mercy of SS or an excellent luck of the draw of the tire shop having a road grader tire. Ask 98G, he knows all about blowing 14.00s and trying to find them on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks