• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

JohnnyBM931A2

Went ahead and ordered a NOS tire inflator with glad hand attachment, and a NOS chain hoist for the spare tire crane (my truck came empty, with no tools, etc.) I was also hoping to get my oil change done later today, but now they are calling for some not so nice weather :(

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
New bed access

Needed a better way to access the bed than bringing a ladder for passengers to get in. Found a boat transom ladder they were going to throw out. Cleaned up the ladder in the blaster, primed and painter the unit. Looked for the best way to mount it on the tail gate. I figured the best fit would be so the ladder unfolds to about 10"-12" from the ground. It folds up flat against the tail gate and makes access to the bed much easier when the gate is opened. Also added a plate light and mount to the drivers side mudflap. Just need to wire into the side marker light. Better than the zip ties I was using. Sorry about the sideways pics. Need to figure out how to rotate them.

Attachments

battlecat

Pulled the old air pack and master cylinder. Installed two new units cleaning up all the brackets with a wire wheel and painted black rustoleum I glued the boot to from the master cylinder on to the push rod to help prevent it popping off and causing water and dirt to enter the master cylinder. Topped off the motor with oil and opened the passenger door popped the window clips to pull the window for tint.

I know having all new brakes is going to go a long way vs these old units. I had to beat thru 40 years of grease dirt and rust but putting it all back together is much nicer when its clean. I thought I would save myself a head ache so I soaked the airpack in PB blaster and sat for a few days. Then I came back hit it with engine bright cleaner sat for a day. Hosed off and it was still filthy up in there.

New Image old airpack.jpgNew Image old master.jpgNew Image new air pack.jpgNew Image new master.jpgNew Image air pack brackets.jpg

Skid plate.jpg

I'm getting closer to opening up all the drums and inspecting the pads, wheel cylinders, bleeding the system then checking and greasing the wheel bearings.. I'll post pictures of the tinted windows once I get that done.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got rid of that high dollar shutter stat that I didn't have.
Installed a temp sensor which opens a 24 volt valve.

Another Ahab

Needed a better way to access the bed than bringing a ladder for passengers to get in. Found a boat transom ladder they were going to throw out. Cleaned up the ladder in the blaster, primed and painter the unit. Looked for the best way to mount it on the tail gate.
The boarding ladder looks like it was made for the tailgate. That is well-done. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

Needed a better way to access the bed than bringing a ladder for passengers to get in. Found a boat transom ladder they were going to throw out. Cleaned up the ladder in the blaster, primed and painter the unit. Looked for the best way to mount it on the tail gate.
The boarding ladder looks like it was made for the tailgate. That is a great item, and well-done. [thumbzup]

ladder.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the holes drilled with the Mag and annular bits so I could mount the bed and mud flaps.
She is a 5 ton RTC so I think this still counts. Got the multifuel motor ready to take to Gimpyrob when I go to Ohio to pick up my seats.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Pulled a tractor trailer out of a Sandy ditch haha. These trucks are great. I'm so glad I keep a heavy chain on the truck. Watch "5 ton oob part 1" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/sWwKZ708VeA. Watch "5 ton oob part 2" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/jxoarmEjtXk. Sorry for the 2 parts but enjoy
I can never grow tired of the sound of a turbo spooling up to pull; sweetest sound in the world.

Did you make two pulls (and videos) separately:

- One of the tractor alone?

- And then one of the tractor with trailer?

k10greene

Yes there were two pulls and videos. Before I arrived a Chevy pickup tried to pull him out with a 1inch ratchet strap yet only succeeded in separating the truck from the trialer. I had to pull the truck out so he could get a better angle and more traction to retrieve his trailer. All I'd wanted to do was go swimming at the beach till someone mentioned an 18 wheeler stuck in the sand which sounded alot more fun. haha

chrsbb19

Well, it's official. My m816 is now all one color, took a few weeks to scrape off old loose paint on spray it with house paint in the shade of 383Green. Lol

JohnnyBM931A2

Finally got my oil change done today.. REALLY need to buy myself some kind of transfer pump. Holding a 5 gallon bucket of oil over the engine bay, and carefully pouring it for 10 or 15 minutes is not enjoyable. Oil has not been done since the military did it in 2010, and it was pretty black. No coolant or metal shavings, which made me happy :) Now the engine is full of fresh clean Rotella oil :)

Also solved my broken window problem.. By replacing the entire passenger side door with a complete NOS unit :D I had unfortunately jammed the old window down inside the door when I tried to raise it back up after removing the clips. I also bent the heck out of the window regulator (the window frame was warped and twisted, so it wasn't rolling up or down without some serious brute force.) Man.. That door ended up being a NIGHTMARE to replace. Took me about 4 hours. My brother was kind enough to help me out by holding it in place. I'm glad it's over and done with. It ended up working out for the best that I replaced it, since the old door had a previous patch riveted in by the military (and it didn't look very good.. looked like they painted it with a push broom :p)

Fun day.

Another Ahab

Man.. That door ended up being a NIGHTMARE to replace. Took me about 4 hours. My brother was kind enough to help me out by holding it in place. I'm glad it's over and done with. It ended up working out for the best that I replaced it, since the old door had a previous patch riveted in by the military (and it didn't look very good.. looked like they painted it with a push broom :p)
That's pretty funny. :smile:

tbar123

Finally got my oil change done today.. REALLY need to buy myself some kind of transfer pump. Holding a 5 gallon bucket of oil over the engine bay, and carefully pouring it for 10 or 15 minutes is not enjoyable. Oil has not been done since the military did it in 2010, and it was pretty black. No coolant or metal shavings, which made me happy :) Now the engine is full of fresh clean Rotella oil :).
I cleaned out a couple of old coffee cans, and it went much better and faster.They hold about 3 qts each and I had 4 of them.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went after the inner axle seal that was leaking. Was going to take some more pictures but once the hands got greasy, the phone caught a break. I replaced the hub seal, serviced and greased everything else while I was in there.

Found that the inner axle seal was leaking because the spindle bushing was almost worn through. I didn't have any bushings on hand but they'll be here this week. I'll tear it down again then move on to the other 5 wheels for servicing.

20150730_232841.jpg

20150730_232824.jpg

tbar123

Went after the inner axle seal that was leaking. Was going to take some more pictures but once the hands got greasy, the phone caught a break. I replaced the hub seal, serviced and greased everything else while I was in there.

Found that the inner axle seal was leaking because the spindle bushing was almost worn through. I didn't have any bushings on hand but they'll be here this week. I'll tear it down again then move on to the other 5 wheels for servicing.

View attachment 574550

View attachment 574551
Good to see that you thought about safety with the cribbing! Good job, Like it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks