• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
With the help of "Vintage Iron" changed an oring on a leaky tire. Installed a set of boat air horn trumpets "tee'ed" off at the existing horns. Will post pictures when I make a better bracket instead of zip ties. Now those people who like to cut off a 10 ton vehicle will have a little attention getting sound to deal with!

JohnnyBM931A2

Finally completed process to get truck insured through Progressive Commercial ($77/month for full coverage on the truck, and liability.. Not too bad.) Also sent away to the state capitol for my title and plates.. Local DMV was unable to get the proper plates for me (wanted $550/year for commercial plates!!) so the guy that I bought the truck from was nice enough to help me out. I called down there, and sure enough they were able to set me up with some OM "Original Military" plates. Same price as regular car plates, and no restrictions regarding mileage, use, etc. :)

Also had a small can of touch up paint made, and I bought a NOS passenger side window and frame assembly to fix the one that I broke on Monday. I also busted a stud off the upright "post" for the passenger side mirror, so I drilled and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt. And finally, I started to gather up the various fluids and filters needed to swap out all of the old fluids on the truck. I know when some of them were changed, but I feel it necessary to change them again, so that I can be 100% sure that they have been done.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to nearing completion of my air brake conversion, I replaced both front inner axle seals and their retainers, new knuckle boots, degreased and cleaned the axle half shafts and the insides of the knuckles. Cleaned up and threw a coat of flat black paint on the knuckle brush guards. Just waiting to get it all put back together.

Last edited:

plode

Filled up the one tire with air that has a very slow leak. One of these days I have to pull it off the truck, split the rim and change the o-ring.
It's much easier to just top it off whenever I use it :lol:

General Hood

Well, it may sound unorthodox, but my wife and I took the 5 ton in to town for date night this evening(dinner and a movie) It was actually her idea. Gotta love it when my gal says this is cool :)
In the back of my mind I'm thinking hmmm, is this a good time to mention there's this M925A I've been looking at :)

therooster2001

Went to replace a bulb, and found this, so replaced the whole housing, don't know which part had the problem to let water in. Found this is how some private put a light assembly together, what's wrong with this picture? Took out a leaking heater core for a repair.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437832642.684441.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1437832669.747606.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

Changed out my trans oil to normal fluid today, and changed the external spin on filter. Date on the filter showed that the last time it was changed was 2012. Took me 5 hours, including 1/2 hour lunch, 2 15 minute breaks (really hot and humid today,) and 1/2 hour back and forth to the parts store to buy a longer funnel. Also had to run inside a few times to check over the TM. Now that I know what I am doing, it should only take me 2 hours next time.

Next fluid change to tackle will be the oil change.. According to the date on the filter it hasn't been done since 2010. I guess I'll need to do a search to see what everyone is using for oil in these 8.3 Cummins engines..

kurtkds

Well after a bit of messing around, today was the day to install the winch on the m818. That's enough work for one guy today. Lol next is install the pto and linkage tomorrow. The goal is to have everthing installed minus the cable since I don't have one yet and painted before the Washington arms collector show on Aug 1st since I will have the tractor trailer and mep04 on display there that weekend.20150725_160640.jpg20150725_145018.jpg20150725_145012.jpg

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after a bit of messing around, today was the day to install the winch on the m818. That's enough work for one guy today. Lol next is install the pto and linkage tomorrow. The goal is to have everthing installed minus the cable since I don't have one yet and painted before the Washington arms collector show on Aug 1st since I will have the tractor trailer and mep04 on display there that weekend.
View attachment 572087View attachment 572088View attachment 572089
Good job[thumbzup] Looks familiar;) That was me a year last April.
SDC12340.jpg

Piper Cub

Well after a bit of messing around, today was the day to install the winch on the m818. That's enough work for one guy today. Lol next is install the pto and linkage tomorrow. The goal is to have everthing installed minus the cable since I don't have one yet and painted before the Washington arms collector show on Aug 1st since I will have the tractor trailer and mep04 on display there that weekend.View attachment 572087View attachment 572088View attachment 572089
Looking good! What's the car in front of the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks