• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished the torque rod end replacement project. I ran into three defective new after market rod ends from a lot of six I purchased. The rubber encasing the ball joint completely separated from the outer metal sleeve rendering them uselessaua. Losing faith in all the after market ends, I removed five rods to RE-replace the endsaua. I ended up getting six NOS military issue ends for Sam Winer's. Pressed all the new good stuff into the rods, installed the rods and put the tires back on. Everything torqued...good to go.

I also installed four new rear axle bumpers.

Last edited:
Nothing exciting for the Christmas week but I started cleaning the cab interior of my newly aquired M932A2, made sure the winch was working properly and started straight piping it. I need to get a 4" flange, rain flapper cap and to cut the original muffler support.

ARYankee

Here are some photos of the 5 ton covered with snow after our massive snow storm that hit on 12/25. It caused widespread power outages. I took to the streets in the 5 ton clearing downed trees and getting folks out of the ditches. I also helped to evac my neighbors to a house that had heat and a small generator. I got a lot of looks driving it around along with a lot of folks commenting on how that is the ultimate get around vehicle for those conditions. I even got a thumbs up from some national guard guys.

new 221.jpgnew 225.jpgnew 226.jpg

wsucougarx

The only thing I did with my M923 is cold start her. Whoah Nellie!! Talk about smoke. That is one cold-blooded beast of an engine! Also, this week I'll be bringing home my M925A1...hopefully.

I put new seats in the 923a1 a few days ago along with new brake chamber, hood latch, oil pressure sensor and other various things to it. Just my luck when i was taking all the bolts off to the old seat the last one siezed up. Took about an hour to get that darn bolt off. Yesterday i just changed the oil and whoa nellie there is alot of oil in there. I Did the oil change fine and today since im off work today me and my buddies are going to go explore in it and see what kind off trouble we can cause in that monster. Today will be the longest i have driven at a time. Maybe 5-6 hours. Full tank diesel and im ready to go!

jvandal

Installed my PRC-351 Clansman Radio, AS-3900 Antenna and a voltage regulation system to protect it all.... sounds good! Transmits good! and Brutus and I can now be found on 51.000

Vandal

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got 1/3 of the way to converting my M931 to a M931A1. Had the wrong o-rings for the rest of the rims. So only the front got installed. I goofed a bit on the rear fenders. The bolts were impossible to get to due to all the air lines in the way. So I tried torching them off. Got them all off except for one line that got a tiny pinhole from heat. (Was just torching the nuts off and not the bolts) Cut the pinhole out and installed a coupler under the top plate. I shoulda just taken the top plate off and fought with the bolts instead! :oops:

Anyhow, here's a pic of Soldier "C" with the truck.

Attachments

Hamma Down

Replaced one injector (ran out of daylight before I could get to the others). Unfornately, I bent one of the brass fittings so I could not reconnect fuel lines. I'll get back on it later this week to finish it up!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joey Kunz,

The bed on my m923 was in bad shape with lots of rust- worse than your pictures. I used the rustoleum rusty metal but in the qt cans from Home depot so I could literally scrub it in with a paint brush after I sanded as there was raised scale in some places. My truck came from a chemical battalion and I can just imagine what nasties they had in it. Might be cheaper than the rattle cans.

I also used the durabak paint/bedliner with a grit to paint it and I am real happy with the color and texture. Bed was super slick before and I like the traction with the rollon bed liner. They do make it in colors.
https://www.durabakstore.com

good luck with your bed.

joeykunz

Joey Kunz,

The bed on my m923 was in bad shape with lots of rust- worse than your pictures. I used the rustoleum rusty metal but in the qt cans from Home depot so I could literally scrub it in with a paint brush after I sanded as there was raised scale in some places. My truck came from a chemical battalion and I can just imagine what nasties they had in it. Might be cheaper than the rattle cans.

I also used the durabak paint/bedliner with a grit to paint it and I am real happy with the color and texture. Bed was super slick before and I like the traction with the rollon bed liner. They do make it in colors.
https://www.durabakstore.com

good luck with your bed.
Thanks for the info, Ill check out that durabak. Post some pics of how yours turned out, I'd like to see.

M932a2

Got the spare tire mount and associated apparatus off and started the exhaust "fix". Had to cut and rework a few of the brackets and still need to modify the muffler heat shield/cage and coat of paint will go well.

Well for whatever reason, the photos are oriented correctly on my computer but keep uploaded sideways. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks