• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Artisan

VERY Nice ZeBE!

I have been looking at my spades (yes for my M925A1 ) and considering
where and how to strap them to my truck. Certainly I do not have a
45K rear winch but in the dunes they might come in handy some day.
I have the straight and the angled "receivers" for them I need to
mount up too. All GREAT Fun to do stuff!

Good Job!

Artisan

There is no doubt I would love to own a wrecker.
I do not think it will ever happen or if it were to happen
it will not be for some time. That will not stop me
from adding a few things I like about the wrecker to my
M925A1 though~!

I want a vise, maybe two vises up front on the winch
bumper, so I designed one and thank u to Zebedee for
help!

After some dimensional changes and an adjustment here and there,
I drew a CAD file and had these two parts water-jet cut. The small
vertical part that attaches to the frame gets fitted onto said,
then I laid the top on and dropped in the two bolts to make square,
then welded it up. Looks store bought. It is cut it out of .375" (3/8")
steel.

I have another one, It will mount up on the drivers side. A chain vise
will be nice too! The wife says I should sell these puppies...
I just might do that.

I need to add some Brown Camo Paint too! :)

M939-SERIES-VISE-PLATE-1.jpg

M939-SERIES-VISE-PLATE-2.jpg

M939-SERIES-VISE-PLATE-3.jpg

M939-SERIES-VISE-PLATE-4.jpg

Last edited:

insanejecke

Started removing the finders got as far as taking the exhaust piping off and after having to torch the bottle heads off. I said that's it for today before i started cutting more stuff. But wile i have the piping off i'm going to sand them down and paint them because there almost rusted all the way thou.

SoylentGreen

Replaced left headlight bucket, transmission filter, fuel filter, oil filter. Changed the engine oil. Bypassed the heater (core leaking). Re-stenciled original unit markings.

ntxcop

SOLD IT!

Also, bought a new toy, a 1972 M35A2! Now I'll start working on it!

The reason for selling the 5-Ton was to get a multifuel engine truck. I have unlimited supply of used oil to mix with diesel and run through the truck which will cut my fuel bill by half or more, depending on how much I thin out the used oil with diesel.

I couldn't justify to my wife why I was spending $4 a gallon on diesel and getting 4-6 miles per gallon, when I could have a deuce and get 10-12 miles per gallon and run used oil for fuel. She likes the idea and my wallet does too, so its off to my next adventure with my new deuce!

Now I just have to start working on beefing up my arms, I mean, my power steering....

Attachments

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

Last week I put in a 24 t0 12 converter. I didn't put in a cut off switch and it killed my batteries by Wednesday. Lesson learned so I cut the line and started installing a toggle but ran out of time . Today if the weather holds up I will finish what I started. I want to finish and install the three pug outlet so I can pull power for some of the toys .............

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

Why did the converter pull down the batteries? I ask because I about to install a pyle converter and the pulse distribution box set up?

ARYankee

Last week I put in a 24 t0 12 converter. I didn't put in a cut off switch and it killed my batteries by Wednesday. Lesson learned so I cut the line and started installing a toggle but ran out of time . Today if the weather holds up I will finish what I started. I want to finish and install the three pug outlet so I can pull power for some of the toys .............
I plan on installing one in my M923 but I am going to have the battery switch power it. Where did you mount the converter?

Scarecrow1

I placed the converter on the inside of the battery box . I put the outlet on the out side of the battery box bye the driver with the toggle just to the top left of it .I decided to put it on the front so I wouldn't hit it accidentally when using the park break. I used a switch with the led light GREEN of course just to be sure it is on or off. I have the two batteries locked into position center of the box so I can have clearance on both sides. I won,t be putting anything else in there even though I still have room. This is due to the heat generated by summer time. It is a simple set up that doesn't change the look of the truck to speak of. Much of the changes I intend on making will be in the same fashion low profile and hidden. I never could figure out why some guys try to turn theses thing into a freaking SUV. I already have two of them that have all the bells and whistles on them straight from the factory. This is not why I bought a 5ton for but to each their own. I will keep mine very mean and green :)

Scarecrow1

Mike,

Why did the converter pull down the batteries? I ask because I about to install a pyle converter and the pulse distribution box set up?

Yo be honest Juan Padro I ask the same question and the answer I got was this .( Even with nothing plugged into it it is still running or converting if you would 24 volts to 12 ). The best comparison I was given was even if you dont plug you cell phone up to the charger it is still drawing current . So that is the reason I put a switch on it . I don't have to understand why it kills it just how to prevent it from happening ... :)

hotbox

M923: Media blasted and powdercoated 6 two pcs. wheels flat black. Powdercoated all the wheel nuts and lug nuts olive drab. Remounted 6 new 395/85 R20 tires. Installed the antenna and tied it down. Installed a single pin nato end on my 24volt charger. Charged the batteries with it. Installed LED headlights. Installed the bows and cover, camo pattern matched! Powdercoated the spare tire retainer and gas tank cover olive drab. Cleaned out the clogged fuel tank vent line. Found and reinstalled the fuel primer petcock that vibrated loose and fell out. Gave hinges, latches, etc. a shot of white lithium. Fought with DMV and got it Title, tagged and register. Drove around town with a big smile on my face! Helluva Week!

Well I have the behind the cab tool boxs lined up for my battery relocation, Ive picked out my center console, 24 to 12 volt convertor, 24 volt to 110 inverter, 12 volt fuse block, switch panel with 12 volt lighter plugs, stereo, cb, and sound deadening for the interior, and all the wiring and connectors. Now just waiting for my pay check to buy them.

Well I have the behind the cab tool boxs lined up for my battery relocation, Ive picked out my center console, 24 to 12 volt convertor, 24 volt to 110 inverter, 12 volt fuse block, switch panel with 12 volt lighter plugs, stereo, cb, and sound deadening for the interior, and all the wiring and connectors. Now just waiting for my pay check to buy them.
Which 24v to 12v and 24v to 110 units and 12v fuse block did you decide on?

Carlo

m923: Media blasted and powdercoated 6 two pcs. Wheels flat black. Powdercoated all the wheel nuts and lug nuts olive drab. Remounted 6 new 395/85 r20 tires. Installed the antenna and tied it down. Installed a single pin nato end on my 24volt charger. Charged the batteries with it. Installed led headlights. Installed the bows and cover, camo pattern matched! Powdercoated the spare tire retainer and gas tank cover olive drab. Cleaned out the clogged fuel tank vent line. Found and reinstalled the fuel primer petcock that vibrated loose and fell out. Gave hinges, latches, etc. A shot of white lithium. Fought with dmv and got it title, tagged and register. Drove around town with a big smile on my face! Helluva week!
wow!

Artisan

I added a pipe wrench to my tools for my M925A1.
I was rummaging through mountains of ISO beds cut
off M927 trucks heading to the scrap yard and found
this puppy totally rusted up, not one smidge of paint
left, only a rusted hulk. We took it home and massaged
it back to life, re-christened the "MPW14" :)

MPW14sm.JPG

Breach27

Took doors apart and lubed window mechs, lubed hinges and bolts on bed. Did some basic maintenance and then went on about a 80 mile road trip. Good day.

USMC4302

Worked my 817 yesterday -- ran 5 loads of horse manure from a neighbor farm for my compost production. Had to park one side in a ditch to be able to load with the dinky compact tractor (42 hp Massey) but we got 'er done! Great truck for working soft barn yards. After, the washdown in 30-ish degrees breeze wasn't fun but ya gotta do those post trip pm's, right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks