• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

mdemars03

I mounted the AM-1780 with the large angle between the seats above the cab tub rear lip.
View attachment 596838View attachment 596840View attachment 596839View attachment 596831

The flat control box plates were mounted using loop clamps to the rear cab top support bows. I used two CX-4723 4 ft. cables to connect the control boxes to the 1780.
View attachment 596837View attachment 596835View attachment 596836View attachment 596834View attachment 596832

The power cable ran down behind the co-driver seat and through the existing pass through holes with a grommet in the right rear floor. I installed some large grommets in all the hole for uniformity and to quell the OCD.
View attachment 596833

All the cables were dressed up with loop clamps were needed. I found it easier to to the majority of the install with the cab top removed.
I like the idea you have for mounting the individual stations. I may have to do the same thing with mine. It looks like it would make it easier to work the controls and volume that way by making it more accessible. Mine are currently mounted to the back of the seat and it is hard to do anything especially with a passenger.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the installs I have seen put the control boxes in the upper rear corners of the cab. That's how I made the decision to put mine where they are. It seems more natural to reach up slightly over your head to adjust the box than toward the middle of the vehicle while driving.

mdemars03

The one good thing I will say about having my setup on the back of the bench seat is you don't see any boxes at all. I just have the two headsets visible. It is just a pain to adjust anything.

71DeuceAK

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll go for the 5 ton in about 13 months! But I'll start Deuce hunting soon (next month or so) if my current possibility doesn't pan out (Should know in the next few weeks) for a MV in the meantime. Plus after driving a M35A2 every day, and a 100 mile each way road trip each weekend possibly, I'm sure I'll appreciate the quieter exhaust and automatic transmission of a M923 so much more LOL. I'll keep you posted if you want...someone to walk me through it would be great actually!

One of the above posts reminded me: Whatever I get, I'm planning to install a stereo. Gotta have something besides the voices in my head on those 100-mile drives LOL. Even if I can't really hear it in the Deuce at highway speed it's good for just sitting in the cab eating lunch somewhere, etc.

71DeuceAK

If it makes everyone laugh, today someone and I were joking about a Deuce vs. a minivan...arbitrary stick shift vs. automatic...
We have a running inside joke that I'm destined to end up with a minivan as my first vehicle...nah, I think the Deuce-as-a-first-ever-vehicle-to-a-new-driver conversion has already begun LOL. As it progresses it'll probably end up as a 5 ton this time next year if all goes well. But I had them (And me!) laughing at the idea of stick-shifting in a Deuce in traffic, parking and taking up multiple spaces, etc. But I pointed out that in a collision I'd probably have the advantage over a smaller car...

I've still never driven (Had my permit since June though and should have gotten it years ago). Partly because I live somewhere without roads/cars, though that will change in June, at least for awhile. I might even get my first stop-and-go training on old logging roads in a friend's Deuce! I actually kinda want the status of "First vehicle I ever drove was a Deuce and a half!"

Another Ahab

I've still never driven (Had my permit since June though and should have gotten it years ago). Partly because I live somewhere without roads/cars, though that will change in June, at least for awhile. I might even get my first stop-and-go training on old logging roads in a friend's Deuce! I actually kinda want the status of "First vehicle I ever drove was a Deuce and a half!"
You bet; that would be special. Go for it, Brother.

71DeuceAK

I know someone who told me..."I learned to drive cars at 70MPH on the Interstate". Mine would thus be "I learned to drive on dirt roads in a Deuce and a half!"

mdemars03

Picked up some bows and a cargo cover yesterday along with a few other useful items. Still need to keep troubleshooting my turn signal issue but I have so far ruled out the three main components (three lever light switch, turn signal switch, and flasher control unit). My next step will be tracing wires tomorrow since I am off work.

74M35A2

Bought an earlier generation front prop shaft with the carrier bearing, to replace my front shaft that does not have the carrier bearing. I have a front driveline vibration over 35mph that disappears when the front drive is actuated, so pretty sure the slip spline is worn from not being supported.

JohnnyBM931A2

Received my new turn signal switch yesterday, and did the install today. Talk about easy.. Took maybe 5 minutes :) New one works like a charm 8)

Also ordered the air filter to go with my new filter cage.. Wix 46664 was the correct filter number. Got one for $40.. Not too bad. Between that and the TMG filter cage I'm at $95. If memory serves new military filters are $125. So I've already saved $30, and obviously I only have to buy the cage once. So subsequent air filter changes will only be 40 or 50 bucks, depending on where I get the filter from. That makes me happy :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks