• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a marine grade disconnect on mine as well. I have back up camera and a 24> 12 v converter, and it will drain the batteries after a few weeks if I forget to shut it off. Also, it's kind of hidden, so a slight theft deterrent.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So had a busy weekend though not as productive as i hoped. Finally got a solid start in my dump conversion on my m925. Had a plan but its been alot of engineer as i go. Also finally fixed up the band saw only been planning to do it for the better part of a decade. Im debating on starting a thread on it. Might be an educational experience worth sharing.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
You accomplished quite a bit. I built a dump trailer from scratch, and was amazed at how long the entire project took. Seemed so simple and straightforward! The biggest thing I learned is that I need a welder with a higher Duty rating.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you're not adding any safety, just add'l points of failure...
I was being sacarstic. You're being argumentative. I'll play along though...

If disconnects are just extra points of failure, then why add one at all? Simply disconnecting the battery terminals would accomplish the same thing, without adding anything at all to the circuit. The word "convenience" comes to mind here. So, one point of failure is permissible so long as it's convenient. Do I have your logic right?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was being sacarstic. You're being argumentative. I'll play along though...

If disconnects are just extra points of failure, then why add one at all? Simply disconnecting the battery terminals would accomplish the same thing, without adding anything at all to the circuit. The word "convenience" comes to mind here. So, one point of failure is permissible so long as it's convenient. Do I have your logic right?
Lolol... Not argumentative.... Just a cheeky bastard.. I know what you were doing, I was returning the favor by taking your obvious sarcasm as serious fodder...:razz::beer:

You accomplished quite a bit. I built a dump trailer from scratch, and was amazed at how long the entire project took. Seemed so simple and straightforward! The biggest thing I learned is that I need a welder with a higher Duty rating.
Thanks! Fortunately thats one thing i do have. A miller 252, i love the thing. Going on a decade with it. Its far from my first project but i did underestimate the size of it. I've giving myself a limit i never had before. I'm set on not hacking up the truck. Usually i just do whatever it takes to make it work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lolol... Not argumentative.... Just a cheeky bastard.. I know what you were doing, I was returning the favor by taking your obvious sarcasm as serious fodder...:razz::beer:
It was a trick question. You could've safely answered either way in my book. Most circuits are built for convenience. Why do we have circuits in cars? Because we got tired of turning that crank by hand...and feeding the horses before that. Convenience seems to trump proper design these days though. I also know what I was doing, lol.

See, I'm "cheeky" too. But I'm more of an ass than a bastard. Since "cheeky ass" don't sound right...I just go by Swamp Donkey. :mrgreen:

Acoustik

Hello everybody, I need some information on the M52A1 Spicer transmission 6453. What I need to know is if the air valve on the transmission is suppose to supply air in all of the forward gears or just 1st gear and which end of the cylinder on the transfer case it is suppose to conect too. I found some drawings in a TM but they left me guessing. Thanks

mdss

Our Marine diving truck. M813a1 USMC

Hey guys, I wanted to upload some pictures of the 5 ton we use for my marine business. it's an M813a1 USMC version with 15' iso bed, D lockers fording kit etc! This is one of the only types of businesses that I am aware of aside from Military that you can use on a daily basis! I love what I do haha! Anyway she has a pyro installed, LED lights, and I included a picture of a hiab 7ton kuckle crane I purchased and installed right behind the spare tire with a 24v hydraulic system so I can leave the pto free for other things! When I have more free time I will upload a picture of the installed crane. Enjoy my fellow 5 ton lovers!!!:naner:

20170828_211233.jpg20170828_182451.jpg20170827_200132.jpg20170826_081047.jpgScreenshot_20170903-193251.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I wanted to upload some pictures of the 5 ton we use for my marine business. it's an M813a1 USMC version with 15' iso bed, D lockers fording kit etc! This is one of the only types of businesses that I am aware of aside from Military that you can use on a daily basis! I love what I do haha! Anyway she has a pyro installed, LED lights, and I included a picture of a hiab 7ton kuckle crane I purchased and installed right behind the spare tire with a 24v hydraulic system so I can leave the pto free for other things! When I have more free time I will upload a picture of the installed crane. Enjoy my fellow 5 ton lovers!!!:naner:

View attachment 698332View attachment 698333View attachment 698334View attachment 698335View attachment 698336
There is a local group where we plan rallies and offer help/support to PNW steel soldiers members, FYI.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/339623506135698/

74M35A2

No. Driver only. I pile all sorts of passangers in, so I am keeping the bench. Recovering the bench in black. Yes, have air ride base for it. Air ride base came with a really nice seat on it, if somebody wants it. Adjustable arm rests, all that.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was about a year ago that I bought some aluminum to make rain guards for the door windows. I put it off several times but finally got around to it last weekend. With Irma coming to visit GA I figured they'd come in handy since I'd be in blowing rain all day.

As simple as they are, they work great. The main thing I wanted was for them to blend in and not affect the lines of the truck too much. I used some 1"x1" aluminum angle with some 3M Automotive Emblem Tape. The top piece is also screwed in place with 3 stainless #10 screws and nuts. The hard top is not perfectly flat on the bottom edge due to the welds. The screws helpedal pull everything together. The side piece is just mounted with the tape because I didn't want to drill into the windshield frame. It's perfectly flat anyways so the tape worked well.

Before paint.
20170910_145628.jpg

After paint.
20170910_185329.jpg

I also drug home a few trailers from the neighbor's place up the street...

20170915_133536.jpg

20170915_133929.jpg

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. I did the same thing for the same reasons...

014d2ee2692b10ddbf7c433ca13ce24ae553fadd41.jpg

0164f881a20049385005829043a8fa09f5121e93b3.jpg

It was about a year ago that I bought some aluminum to make rain guards for the door windows. I put it off several times but finally got around to it last weekend. With Irma coming to visit GA I figured they'd come in handy since I'd be in blowing rain all day.

As simple as they are, they work great. The main thing I wanted was for them to blend in and not affect the lines of the truck too much. I used some 1"x1" aluminum angle with some 3M Automotive Emblem Tape. The top piece is also screwed in place with 3 stainless #10 screws and nuts. The hard top is not perfectly flat on the bottom edge due to the welds. The screws helpedal pull everything together. The side piece is just mounted with the tape because I didn't want to drill into the windshield frame. It's perfectly flat anyways so the tape worked well.

Before paint.
View attachment 699499

After paint.
View attachment 699500

I also drug home a few trailers from the neighbor's place up the street...

View attachment 699501

View attachment 699502

Mos68x

What was your tuck stuck on? It kind of looks like the back-end was resting on the ground.
The front axle hub and the rear chassis and bed. That has the been the only place I've gotten stuck out here, so once I create the half tracks for the rear I'll probably go to that same spot and try it again to see if the track will really help.

tobyS

so once I create the half tracks for the rear I'll probably go to that same spot and try it again to see if the track will really help.
How are you doing the half tracks? Does the circumference change as it articulates? A place nearby makes tracks for skid loaders and I've often wondered if they would work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks