• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Whats the unloader valve in the compressor look like? I chased my tail until i finally broke down and rebuilt it. Im guessing it had issues since i brought it home. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Compressor is only 6 months old. I had a collapsed discharge line. Replaced it but the tanks top at 90 at idle. Primary will build to 140 independently. But the secondary is leaking somewhere

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Its almost maddening sometimes looking for the problem. It reminds me of older john deere hydraulics. Theyre flawless unless they develope an internal hi pressure leak. There was more than one that came back after i thought i found it. Its enough to drive ya nuts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Off the compressor . It wrapped the red needle around past 150

kungfu dave

Thanks guys for the suggestions of a penetration fluid. Wes and I have have come up with a last resort of breaking them off and drilling, welding the bolts back into place. I was hoping to avoid this if possible. The bolts have knobs attached that screw down into a welded nut. Has anyone out there actually had any luck with something specific? I have considered heating them up but I cannot imagine CARC fumes are that healthy. lol

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across these tire deflators, and have never seen a kit like this before...so naturally that means I have to have them. There are 4 in a kit, hey're all aluminum and well made. I've looked for a set of deflators for my truck before but most civilian sets have the pressures set too low for a heavy truck. This set does 30, 40 or 50 psi. It's a HEMTT specific kit, so was this part of the HEMTT BII?

I intend to test them out tonight and see how well they work. I'm hoping they will be a nice compliment to the 4 leg air hose w/ regulator that I'm making for airing back up.

20170927_220655.jpg

20170927_220737.jpg

20170927_220748.jpg

20170927_220823.jpg

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
In preparation for the Georgia rally, I tackled all 4 rear wheel axle & CTIS seals with my father and my buddy Vinnie today. Started at 9 and finished at 8:30; next on the list: install/wire perimeter lighting, change oil, install coolant filter system, install additional fuel filter rated at 2 micron, fix air leak at CTIS air filter and prep camper IMG_3715.jpgIMG_3720.jpgIMG_3796.jpgIMG_3719.jpgIMG_3801.jpg

AMGeneral

I came home this evening and took the front knuckles on the M62A1 apart for inner axle seal replacement, as well as new knuckle boots and general kingpin adjustment and check out.

Complete teardown time was 2 1/2 hrs, start to finish.

The right front knuckle was 1/2 full of 80w90.

I will be going back with 1 piece(non zipper) boots this time.

Parts should be here Friday.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Besides log a lot of miles. I got my heater hooked up to go to my caiman box. and yeah, you don't even have to turn the thing on, just open the valve and the box radiates a lot of heat. I am sure it has enough power to blow the cold air out the holes it comes in from.

I had to replace my RPM cable since mine broke, and I went ahead and installed the LED light kit from the Donkey while my dash was out. My dash is a lot easier to get out than the stock ones.

Changed the oil filter as well since it had over 6k on it. I don't trust a normal filter past then.

Next week I work on my rear winch install. again.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someday I want to see the donkeymobile, actually, I’d like to buy it if it ever came up for sale. Probably the best kept 5-ton out there. Or, maybe he just posts about his maintenance schedule more than most.

Still, I bet it’s a solid ride.

tobyS

7 new tires. Got the Michelin 395 XZL's on my 929, replacing the Goodyear 14.00. Hauled about 20 loads of huge (hand cut granite) foundation stones and can say the Michelins are much more stable than the GY.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The swamp donkey is a really really nice truck
Mark said he's going to be put in the ground with that truck lol.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Someday I want to see the donkeymobile, actually, I’d like to buy it if it ever came up for sale. Probably the best kept 5-ton out there. Or, maybe he just posts about his maintenance schedule more than most.

There wont be much left of it after the tug of war at the rally. But i will auction off the spoils of war!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Donkeymobile...lol.

I do way more than I post. Really only post the things someone might find useful. If I posted everything I did then I'd need my own thread. I enjoy thread crashing too much though.

You see my PM from last week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There wont be much left of it after the tug of war at the rally. But i will auction off the spoils of war!

A name for your truck came to mind when you stopped by the other day. I dub thee Ragamuffin!

If you don't like it then we can change it after the rally. Something like Battle Damage has a nice ring to it.

:mrgreen:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sir Donkey,

uhhh, yeah, yeah I saw the PM. Let me just remember what it said.

Now I remember. I don’t know what else you have since you sold out of curb feelers, so, I was just waiting on a shipping price. What do you have? I don’t really “need” anything, but do want a bunch of stuff. I am installing some air ride seats in my truck soon, so if you have spare parts for GSS air ride seat install that don’t come with the package (I don’t know what comes with it or what I’ll need yet.) then I’d be a customer for {air quotes on} air-ride-seat-install-parts-that-don’t-come-with-the-seats {air quotes off}

I’m not certain if that is supposed to be hyphenated or just air quoted ... so I did both.

Now, THAT is proper thread crashing gentlemen.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sir Donkey,

uhhh, yeah, yeah I saw the PM. Let me just remember what it said.

Now I remember. I don’t know what else you have since you sold out of curb feelers, so, I was just waiting on a shipping price. What do you have? I don’t really “need” anything, but do want a bunch of stuff. I am installing some air ride seats in my truck soon, so if you have spare parts for GSS air ride seat install that don’t come with the package (I don’t know what comes with it or what I’ll need yet.) then I’d be a customer for {air quotes on} air-ride-seat-install-parts-that-don’t-come-with-the-seats {air quotes off}

I’m not certain if that is supposed to be hyphenated or just air quoted ... so I did both.

Now, THAT is proper thread crashing gentlemen.

Yep. Sold all my curb feelers and I know nothing of the GSS seats. I have HEMTT seats but I don't reckon that helps.

I'll figure the shipping this evening.

lindsey97

DSCN3315.jpgDSCN3316.jpgDSCN3317.jpg

Painted Weed's rims today. Wanted to do this for a year or so, the wife is gone for the weekend so I'm messing with the 5 tons. Love that Rapco paint. Used painter's tape and index cards to keep the paint off of the rubber. Worked Excellent!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks