• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, you'll have four spares too [thumbzup]
I have always liked having the spare tire already mounted next to the one that blows out.

The other 8.... 9 incuding the spare should be here maybe next week after they come back from getting caps.

Last edited:

Plugugly

I took my bows and tarp off with my pulley/lift system, but somehow angered my CTIS in the process. I'll have to trouble shoot it more later, but right now it seems to be opening the front axle exhaust valve while it's trying to fill to HWY for some reason. The air goes out faster than it can go to the tires, so they go down instead of up. But the valve still closes when the system pressure goes down or you turn the truck off. Weird.

JarheadMtn

Availability of tires. I can go to any tire shop/truck stop and get a 11r24, if you blow a 14.00/20 you are at the mercy of SS or an excellent luck of the draw of the tire shop having a road grader tire. Ask 98G, he knows all about blowing 14.00s and trying to find them on the road.
Are you doing the rear also? I was thinking the same thing. I've blown 3 of the 14.00 tires so far and am down to my last spare. How much did new tires run?

plode

Pulled down some dead trees with her today. The Douglass Fir was a piece of cake. Barely had to tap the throttle to get it to come out. The other one(out in the street) was a Dogwood. Don't know why either of them died. That one was 3/4 throttle until the turbo spooled up, she left a nice cloud of black smoke down the street. Unfortunately my dad didn't get any pictures of me pulling that one out. I wasn't sure if the truck was going to pull the second one when I was having to get deep into the throttle(thought it was gonna spin the tires, was in high gear, front axle unlocked), but it finally came out. Sure is nice having her around, would have had to get a landscaper here with a tractor otherwise.
S6300283.jpgS6300289.jpgS6300292.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

Pulled down some dead trees with her today. The Douglass Fir was a piece of cake. Barely had to tap the throttle to get it to come out. The other one(out in the street) was a Dogwood. Don't know why either of them died. That one was 3/4 throttle until the turbo spooled up, she left a nice cloud of black smoke down the street. Unfortunately my dad didn't get any pictures of me pulling that one out. I wasn't sure if the truck was going to pull the second one when I was having to get deep into the throttle(thought it was gonna spin the tires, was in high gear, front axle unlocked), but it finally came out. Sure is nice having her around, would have had to get a landscaper here with a tractor otherwise.
View attachment 576918View attachment 576919View attachment 576920
lol.. Nice :)

Capehenery

Finally had a moment to try a repair to the Mirror. Have been using twisted wire to keep it together. Used some electrical conduit and all thread with 2 bushings to keep the all thread centered. Worked like a champ. Not as heavy duty as the original but will do the job quite well and was under $15. Now my mirrors stay put and do not wander.

20150821_231058392_iOS.jpg20150822_220833021_iOS.jpg20150822_220837365_iOS.jpg20150822_221030944_iOS.jpg20150822_225140266_iOS.jpg20150822_230223050_iOS.jpg

zxmedic

uploadfromtaptalk1440301961771.jpg

Moved the logging truck load of firewood 2.5 days all done . The company wouldnt deliver directly to our yard to steep and washboard.
uploadfromtaptalk1440302128883.jpg

Spiralout

I repaired my soft top with rotted threads in the front this weekend. I found an old post here with people using vinyl siding a few months ago and I finally found a single piece without having to order dozens of them.

I started out cutting it in half and to length, except I had a bend in the siding and ended up cutting it about 4 inches short. The one piece I had didn't have enough left on it for 2 tries. I nailed it to a long 2x4 to make it easier to work with
20150822_103646.jpg
Next I clamped the ends of the soft top to the board to make it easier to glue and get straight on the vinyl.
20150822_113049.jpg
Then I applied the sealant/adhesive. I used 3M 5200 Fast Cure since I couldn't find anything else locally. I put a 2x4 on top of the fabric and clamped it down really good to ensure even adhesion. I started reading up more on 3M 5200 while it was curing (24 hours) and got kinda worried. Evidently it's good for bonding to wood, and not so good at bonding to vinyl according to 3M. There was plenty of it seeping through to the wood side through the old thread holes in the top, I thought I was going to have a 2x4 stuck to my roof. :-(
20150822_131827.jpg
Turns out it does stick really well to wood, but it was nothing a putty knife couldn't handle. It's ugly right now, but the excess cleans off fairly easy at this stage if you want to spend the time on it. With some paint it will be fine.
20150823_175428.jpg
I drilled a hole every 10 inches or so and put some 3/16 inch pop rivets in with #8 aluminum washers on the vinyl side for good measure. I would have put the rivets a bit further back if I had to do it all over again. I'm not sure if it needs more or not. I guess time will tell.
20150823_180926.jpg
I got the top on as fast as I could after finishing the rivets because the clouds were darkening. I'll paint it later and probably trim the vinyl on the inside by quite a bit. If I had usable wiper blades, I'd have gone for a test drive. That's a project for another day though.
20150823_183923.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I decided to clean my tank out since I could see some junk on the bottom before it became an issue. My fuel tank was trying to give my filters and engine some tasty treats a little to early for Halloween. Especially with diesel @ $2.15 a gallon plus my Kroger pts. I paid a whole $1.85 a gal to fill it up.

Attachments

NovacaineFix

Got my 818 to run on it's own without having to gas it with ether.
Only bought the truck a month ago, but haven't had much time to "really" work on it. Had a problem with the fuel pump not wanting to pick up fuel but that ran into a bunch of other small issues.

The truck sat for I'm guessing 8-10 years in the hot and dry Southern California sun. The last fleet service marker I can see is fro January of '07, the air cleaner has March of '04 on it.

With 8-10 year-old diesel in her, I removed the fuel filter on top of the pump, cleaned it out, and nearly crossed threaded it back in.
I primed the fuel lines up after filling the main fuel filter up with clean diesel and blowing air in reverse through the pick up tubes, just to make sure there were no clogs.

Started her up and at first, it sounded like she wanted to runaway, YIKES!!
Let's just say a 5 gallon bucket lid fits perfectly in the air filter housing to choke her out for just such and emergency. Obviously, the air filter must be out 1st.

Anyway, she runs and sound good. Good enough that I took her up the street and back to run through the gears and check the brakes, which are a little touchy after sitting, but otherwise good.

Only small issues, like a couple of glad-hand seals are bad, but not leaking enough to worry
Now I just have to get a replacement battery tray and 4 batteries (was running her off of 2 from my M1009) and maybe change out the cables since they are corroded a bit.

Overall, a good productive weekend, for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeDiBIhFAM

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the loaner M927 parked next to the driveway angled down which allows water to collect in front of the 20 foot bed.
Yes the drain holes are terminally clogged.
I cranked it up yesterday and backed up slowly until the water ran out of the back in a raging torrent.
I pulled back up and parked at the usual spot and noted an extremely wet and annoyed Aussie Shepard giving me the stinkeye.

Another Ahab

I have the loaner M927 parked next to the driveway angled down which allows water to collect in front of the 20 foot bed.
Yes the drain holes are terminally clogged.
I cranked it up yesterday and backed up slowly until the water ran out of the back in a raging torrent.
I pulled back up and parked at the usual spot and noted an extremely wet and annoyed Aussie Shepard giving me the stinkeye.
That was rough.

Better watch your back; Fido might want to get even.

dog.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The picture says a thousand words. Well I got the notion in my head to change my filters, oil, and lube everything. Enough said. You guys all know how much fun I didn't have! Rotella was only 11.88 a gallon at wally world though. Tomorrow my wheel O rings show up from Gempler's so that will be a blast indeed. At least it is only in the 70's and I am only going to have to do one wheel.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started the front end stowage addition that proceeds my bumper build. I need everything in place before I start on the bumper to make sure I don't have any clearance issues.

The mock up.

20150824_203040.jpg

The boxes will actually end up about 1.5" farther away from the grill to allow the lids to go slightly past vertical to hold themselves open.

20150824_203054.jpg

The run of C-channel that serves as the base for both boxes.

20150825_010713.jpg

Given the amount of frame flex these trucks have, I decided to bolt everything together that connects to the frame. There is another tab on the back of the C-channel that uses a bottom bolt on each frame rail. I've considered putting some resilient mounts between the bottom of the rails and the C-channel to allow for flex but I'll see how it works out as it is.

20150825_010653.jpg

That's as far as I've gotten. It's muggy as heck and I'm sweating like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks