• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great mod. Did you fab those boxes, or are they something you purchased? I like the rails with tiedown points on top of the boxes.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought them. They are made of 1/8" aluminum. They are the perfect dimensions to fill that spot. One would also fit nicely between the frame rails too. I didn't paint the inside because I'll get them Rhino-lined after I finish. Information and pictures below:

Oshkosh Corporation, Accessories Stowage Box, P/N 3899299 End Use: Oshkosh MRAP All Terrain Vehicle M-ATV, Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
NSN 2540-01-589-6329

20150825_223713.jpg

20150825_224135.jpg

20150825_224219.jpg

Another Ahab

I bought them. They are made of 1/8" aluminum. They are the perfect dimensions to fill that spot. One would also fit nicely between the frame rails too. I didn't paint the inside because I'll get them Rhino-lined after I finish. Information and pictures below:

View attachment 577630
I like the storage "tray" detail on the lid/top:

- A few bungees criss-crossed across the top of that, and you got additional storage (like for tarps. or a work-mat, that kind of thing).

That's pretty slick.

74M35A2

Swapped out the electric engine oil pressure gauge for a mil spec mechanical one. VAST improvement in resolution and accuracy. Bought gauge on eBay, but was $70. Thread in 5T Mod section:

op1.jpg op2.jpg

Another Ahab

74M35A2;1758453[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
]Swapped out the electric engine oil pressure gauge[/COLOR] for a mil spec mechanical one. VAST improvement in resolution and accuracy. Bought gauge on eBay, but was $70. Thread in 5T Mod section:

View attachment 577684 View attachment 577685
Your dash is in good shape; clear glass on the gauges, all the gauge ID lettering in place and readable.

A lucky purchase, or have you been working at all that?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not this week, but mounted the tow bar under the bed. Held in place by friction, don't seem to need to drill the frame.

WP_20150826_002.jpgWP_20150826_003.jpgWP_20150826_007.jpg

74M35A2

Your dash is in good shape; clear glass on the gauges, all the gauge ID lettering in place and readable.

A lucky purchase, or have you been working at all that?
Mostly as received. Only thing I did was rubbed the lenses with 3M lens polish, but a few are still hazy. Night shot, cold start, idle:

OPN.jpg

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No safety chain of some sort?
The most they can move if the friction fails is about 2". The U-bolts will have to break for the bars to actually be able to come out. The angle iron is long enough that it can't be pulled through either side while attached to the bar parts, and the collars prevent the bars from sliding through the ends of the U-Bolts unless the bolts break or are removed. So friction and size.

Snowtiger

Picked up a 2 year supply of filters and 2 spare belts (only one style of belt that I need but when you get a 60-70 percent discount take advantage of it). All that's left is a couple of air filters and the rebuild kit upper and lower for my air system. Still stumbling on my oils, after reading on oils its mind boggling all the opinions. So many valid points and personal experiences that help eliminate and decide. This truck has been a pleasure to own and operate I wish they built new trucks like this, odd how were supposed to be in the improved technology era but our vehicles are like BIC lighters these days lol.

General Hood

Picked up a 2 year supply of filters and 2 spare belts (only one style of belt that I need but when you get a 60-70 percent discount take advantage of it). All that's left is a couple of air filters and the rebuild kit upper and lower for my air system. Still stumbling on my oils, after reading on oils its mind boggling all the opinions. So many valid points and personal experiences that help eliminate and decide. This truck has been a pleasure to own and operate I wish they built new trucks like this, odd how were supposed to be in the improved technology era but our vehicles are like BIC lighters these days lol.

:goodjob: That's a deep discount, not found every day! I'm ecstatic to get a 10% military or senior discount

JohnnyBM931A2

Gotta love the 8.3 with its single serpentine belt :)

brasco

Installed Fire Extinguisher in M931A2

I installed a fire extinguisher in my M931A2. The mounting location is the same as the bracket on my M923A2 when I bought it. The bracket itself is different than the USGI unit.

M931A2 Fire Ex2.jpg M931A2 Fire Ex.jpg

The extinguisher in a 5lb Amerex Purple K unit. The unit itself weights about 10lbs. It appears to fit well in the location shown. I'll probably add this to my other trucks too.

JohnnyBM931A2

I installed a fire extinguisher in my M931A2. The mounting location is the same as the bracket on my M923A2 when I bought it. The bracket itself is different than the USGI unit.

View attachment 578651 View attachment 578652

The extinguisher in a 5lb Amerex Purple K unit. The unit itself weights about 10lbs. It appears to fit well in the location shown. I'll probably add this to my other trucks too.
Nice :) I picked up an extinguisher recently.. Probably about the same size as yours. Just need to mount it (mine apparently never had one.) Seems like it fits pretty well where you put it. I might do that as well. After that I just need to find a good way to store my first aid kit, emergency triangle case, and reflective vest inside the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks