• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today, I replaced my batteries with 2 new 8D-6 batteries, made a triple ought gauge cable to connect the two, and I've installed one of those Keyed ignition switches. I also found 2 loose/worn out wire connectors going to the ignition switch. Those loose wires are now on my "next to do list".

Hey has any one every made a battery holder for any 8D's? This is also on my "next to do list".

tobyS

Today, I replaced my batteries with 2 new 8D-6 batteries, made a triple ought gauge cable to connect the two, and I've installed one of those Keyed ignition switches. I also found 2 loose/worn out wire connectors going to the ignition switch. Those loose wires are now on my "next to do list".

Hey has any one every made a battery holder for any 8D's? This is also on my "next to do list".
I used the boards from under to fill in the sides and between them. I cut some 1/2" stock for under them so the hold down tabs didn't poke the bottom. Then used a couple of boards on top so the seat bottom can't get down into the terminals...careful it's close if they are the 1400 cca. On one, I had to put rubber over the terminals and a sheet of plastic...okay old innertube and a opened up 2 liter. I took a Hawker with nearly melted off terminal out of that one from the seat bottom getting into the terminal.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give him a break guys he's new.
I was teaching him how to post.
He has a 939 dump truck which I am sure he will show us.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Ooh I'm excited to see, I'm contemplating setting my cargo bed up to dump

1974 AM General M109A3 w/Deuce Bed, White LDT, Whistler C, and soft top

Another Ahab

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I finally got around to it. I ©16'd my truck. That's right I copyrighted it. Please feel free to use the phrase and just PayPal me the royalties. Working on getting Wikipedia to update the term.

©16'd - (six-teen-ed) - to install giant 16.00 x 20 tires on ones vehicle.

Anyway, here's the pix. HEMTT rims up front. 5 ton combat rims on the back. Still trying to figure out the correct air pressure to keep from harming the tires and make it a reasonably comfortable ride while empty.

IMG_9282.jpgIMG_9284.jpgIMG_9292.jpgIMG_9295.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Went to a Push/Pull type parking brake valve on the dash. Easy mod. 15ft of 1/2" air line is needed and KN20021 parking brake valve. Pretty simple just run a supply line from the double check valve behind the fuel tank to the parking valve. Then run your delivery valve to the line coming off the front hose off the parking brake under the cab. It actually goes to a check valve in the drivers step. This is a great mod for those worried about their kids knocking the brakes off on the truck. About a $75 mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELcWO5Q2A1w&t=24s

Attachments

Mos68x

Don't blame him I told him to just say test.
It was a tiring day all I could think of at that moment.

I wasnt at all all worried about it, now the admins are a completely different story lol
Today I finally got around to it. I ©16'd my truck. That's right I copyrighted it. Please feel free to use the phrase and just PayPal me the royalties. Working on getting Wikipedia to update the term.

©16'd - (six-teen-ed) - to install giant 16.00 x 20 tires on ones vehicle.

Anyway, here's the pix. HEMTT rims up front. 5 ton combat rims on the back. Still trying to figure out the correct air pressure to keep from harming the tires and make it a reasonably comfortable ride while empty.

View attachment 686972View attachment 686973View attachment 686974View attachment 686975
Buff, looks sexy

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mos, thanks! But, I don't know if I want to hear you say "buff" and sexy in the same sentence when talking about me! But hey, I'll take the compliments wherever they come from. They are getting harder to come by.

For a size comparison, check this picture out. Puts it in perspective. The guy isn't very tall, ironically, he had his son on FaceTime, a marine serving in the Middle East. God bless him and his family. Don't know either of them, but, I did take time to talk to the boy. Anyway, check out the size diff.

IMG_9297.jpgIMG_9299.jpg

Now, this is interesting. My truck is more gutless at low rpm, low range than any other 5 ton I have driven. I thought adding 16's Would possibly be a mistake because of the increased size and difficulty turning the wheel to get up to speed.

Not only was it not a problem, it helped the performance. I have plenty of video that is with a stopwatch of me going 0 to 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 with 14.00's. I will do the same with 16.00's as soon as I figure out what 10,20,30 etc actually is on my speedo, since it changed.

I can still cruise at 65 (gps verified) get to 70.3 on a downhill (I don't think I could do that before). So speed isn't negatively effected.

More on all this later.

Another Ahab

Went to a Push/Pull type parking brake valve on the dash. Easy mod. 15ft of 1/2" air line is needed and KN20021 parking brake valve. Pretty simple just run a supply line from the double check valve behind the fuel tank to the parking valve. Then run your delivery valve to the line coming off the front hose off the parking brake under the cab. It actually goes to a check valve in the drivers step. This is a great mod for those worried about their kids knocking the brakes off on the truck. About a $75 mod.
$75 is pain, but it's not a big pain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks