• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Spyderman

Well I got my torque rod off today wasn't to hard. Had to take the right rear lower one off. Couldn't get the cotter pin out on the side right by the brake drum. So I snapped them off then took the nut off. So I need a new nut know. I figured it would mess up the threads but it was easier then messing with it forever. I doubt the local parts store will have the nut.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I got my torque rod off today wasn't to hard. Had to take the right rear lower one off. Couldn't get the cotter pin out on the side right by the brake drum. So I snapped them off then took the nut off. So I need a new nut know. I figured it would mess up the threads but it was easier then messing with it forever. I doubt the local parts store will have the nut.
New Inserts should come with a new nut. If not I think it is a 1 - 1/2"-12 thread. Some industrial machine supply may have it. Or Fastenal . Or I can send you a box of them.

Spyderman

Got the parts needed to finish up the torque rod in the truck today. Went back together with no problems. Cant wait to drive it tomorrow. It's my daily driver so been missing her.

603hellmutt

Sale fell through on one of my trucks, so i moved it to the new storage lot. Gonna take the wheels off this week and get them out to have 1600s put on. My 928 still sits idle waiting for me to weed wack around it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here's 3 weeks worth of stuff I haven't had time to post...

Tons of pictures so they'll have to be split into several posts.

Needed some better work lights for the repairs below. Even the expensive ones come with some dinky stands and they just aren't built well. I get tired of working on the work lights before I can even use them.

These are the Fire Research Corp. HID lights from the MRAPs. They are 24v and 150w a piece. I used an aluminum heavy duty speaker stand that's rated for a 250lb speaker and raises to 12'. I used a waterproof Pelican box with individual waterproof switches to make the connections. The cord is an outdoor rated extension cord with a slave plug on the end. I left the standard 3 prong plugs in line about 3 feet from the slave plug. I can easily add in more extension cord as needed. The whole thing is waterproof and I finally have a nice set of work lights.

Don't be eyeballing all my junk Ken. I know you got that picture on 100x zoom...

20170730_172047.jpg

20170721_212239.jpg

I had 2 main objectives to tackle: replace the accessory drive seal that was leaking and also the water pump that had started to seep. Everything else that was done was because it was a good time to do it since so many parts and fluids had to he removed.

Accessory drive seal replacement.

Powersteering pump, fan clutch and radiator hose removed.

20170729_164451.jpg

Remove accessory drive pulley nut. Block breaker bar against steering gear and bump the starter.

20170729_171704.jpg

Slightly modify a civilian harmonic balancer puller to pull the pulley. Had the puller but no 7/16" bolts. Par for course...

20170729_201908.jpg

Pulley removed. Removed the water pump too while I was at it.

20170729_194958.jpg

The offending seal.

20170729_201827.jpg

Pulling the offending seal. My seal puller didn't like that seal for some reason. That's fine because the jaw puller didn't care.

20170729_203540.jpg

The new seal.

20170729_210312.jpg

The new wear sleeve for the pulley and keyway seal that's not pictured.

20170729_211919.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks