• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Other than it leaking like a sieve over the windshield, I love it. I'm going to pull the stock gaskets out and use black silicon to reseal the gaps. There is so much headroom, I can stand up in the cab.
Don't use sillycone, I've heard it will trap moisture and promote rust. I've been told butyl rubber is what you want. It comes in caulk tubes too.

71DeuceAK

Ha! When I have mine out on the road one of these days I fully hope to help spread 5 ton awareness, I'm sure I'll have lots of people through the passenger seat.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than it leaking like a sieve over the windshield, I love it. I'm going to pull the stock gaskets out and use black silicon to reseal the gaps. There is so much headroom, I can stand up in the cab.
With people asking $1k+ for hard tops, it's really hard NOT to just weld one up.. ****, even a shop would charge less than that.. couple hours plus materials....

I'm 6'2 though, so I don't know if I'd make it that tall.. I do have a 934 though, so it may work...

74M35A2

No, been doing it for nearly 5 years now on random Fridays. Lots of the usual thumbs up, horn beeps, waves, etc. Enter it in school "Trunk or Treat", etc....

Bummer to hear yours went the opposite.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you didnt get raided? Wow, thats a mile stone, I got raided for parking across the school for 5 mins with 8 police cars and they were all 6' tall on steroids, not the donut cops.
looking suspicious near a school was the crime. Pulling in, letting your kids out doesn’t allow time for the mind to wander. It’s over and solved before anyone can get too nervous. Or pick up a phone.

People can dream up the most amazing things about someone in a “suspicious vehicle”. I had the police called on me in my own driveway! The vehicle looked suspicious to someone. People are amazing. Not always in a good way.

Cops came. Asked “what’s up” I told them. They said “cool” and gave me a fist bump, since my hands were greasy, and walked away.

Willyk

Here’s what I did, when I first got my truck registered and road worthy, I drove it down to the police station in my town. I parked it and went inside and talked to my police chief. I told him my hobby and offered him my truck with no questions asked if they ever needed it for any situation that ever came up. (I live on the shore of CT and we get floods quite often as well as other things). He was more than willing and grateful. I also volunteered for any fundraising for that they have for the veterans or kids sports. I drive my truck and get waves from the patrolmen and most of my townfolk (12,000) know it’s me. I pick up my kid with the 5 ton at the school every so often and it’s like I’m driving a Prius! Never a problem.

CMPPhil

Hi

Times have changed, 20 years ago my son used to drive my military CMPs to high school, on occasion, the only thing that happened was the trucks ended up in the year book.

Cheers Phil

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s what I did, when I first got my truck registered and road worthy, I drove it down to the police station in my town. I parked it and went inside and talked to my police chief. I told him my hobby and offered him my truck with no questions asked if they ever needed it for any situation that ever came up.
Good idea. I have often thought about offering mine to the local FD and PD and Game Warden. Then Harvey showed up, and I just went. And they were more than grateful. In fact, we were greeted by Houston Police Chief himself twice. Once with a request for help, and once with a box of doughnuts!

Houston FD uses 923’s probably A2’s as their high water rescue trucks. So, if they can, with their 14.00’s, then I can, standing a full inch taller with my 16.00’s!

jaws4518

Cold Beer
I got very lucky on this truck. It only had 17 hrs on it since the depot referb. I thought the engine was broke-in at 40 hours, but it keeps getting better! I have 88 on it now. I need to do an oil change. I bet you can get 8+ yards on that truck with the side-wall extensions. The dumb bed is really the perfect size for personal or farm use.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working for the last 10 days on a new front electric winch bumper for my 923A2. The first 7 days were very productive. I like the design, the way it came together, the fit, the welds. All good.

The last three days, I literally should have done something else as I have had to cut off everything I have welded on or toss everything I have made. So frustrating.

I cut out a fairlead mount, drilled the holes, (paid zero attention to the numbers I was using as a measurement) fairlead fit nice. Clamp to bumper in prep for welding, look at winch sitting on bench, look at fairlead and nice polished fairlead mount.

The sinking feeling hits me. I have made a beautiful mount for a 10” fairlead. (Winch is 12” OC)

The ironic part is all along I am saying, buy one from SS member “Hard Head”, you have a big order you are placing with him anyway, just wait for it! Work on something else! No, I want it done now! (That is me fighting with myself inside my head)

I'm going to go do something else. Jericho, I’ll get you pics as soon as it’s pic worthy.

Another Ahab

The last three days, I literally should have done something else as I have had to cut off everything I have welded on or toss everything I have made. So frustrating.

I cut out a fairlead mount, drilled the holes, (paid zero attention to the numbers I was using as a measurement) fairlead fit nice. Clamp to bumper in prep for welding, look at winch sitting on bench, look at fairlead and nice polished fairlead mount.

The sinking feeling hits me. I have made a beautiful mount for a 10” fairlead. (Winch is 12” OC)
I sure hope you don't beat yourself too much about that, Buffalobwana, you're not the first to go there.

I can't tell you the number of times I get my head wrapped around a project, and then some little distraction hits (phone rings, dog makes a jailbreak out the door, it starts raining, you name it). Then, jumping back into the project without the uninterrupted focus, I screw up the whole thing for lack of concentration. I hate it, but it happens more than I want to admit. aua

In the words of good Ol' Mr. Natural, Just Keep Truckin'

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ahab. It’s all good. Winch bumper is already looking great. I’m really happy with it. I can mount it after one final piece is fitted. Then I’ll put the fairlead mount from Hard Head on there and call it done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks