• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

77 AMG

So, found the filter kit. I checked BOTH the "O" level and the "I" level manuals for the "how to" on changing the filter. Not there, just pump R&R, hose/line R&R. Anybody happen to know what I am overlooking/ failing at Google-fu on? Sometimes I *hate* computers...

Redpawn

I think you have to take the pump off and then remove the can from it. It looks to go together like a standard chevy power steering pump only bigger.

Jakelc15

So, found the filter kit. I checked BOTH the "O" level and the "I" level manuals for the "how to" on changing the filter. Not there, just pump R&R, hose/line R&R. Anybody happen to know what I am overlooking/ failing at Google-fu on? Sometimes I *hate* computers...

Hope this helps. The kit I got came with a drawing

Jakelc15

Wait, you're saying that on the 809 series trucks there is a power steering fluid FILTER? How the heck did I miss that?
The filter being clogged won't make the pump leak. It will bypass the filter by overcoming the spring.
The return elbow leaking probably means it is cracked and needs rebrazed.
Don't use a prybar against the reservoir section to tension the belt. It deforms it and makes it leak.
I run ATF in my pumps and also the fleet at work. 10w hyd oil may be better if you don't want the additives. Never used power steering fluid.

Jakelc15

My pump is puking out through the ?breather cap, next to the fill cap, hence the thinking of the "plugged/ stopped up" filter.
Ok. I misunderstood where your leak was.
I still do not think the filter would cause it to overflow. The filter is the return side.
I have seen these spit fluid out from overheating, having a leak/sucking air, and from improper fluid level.
They are pretty picky on level. One of my pumps I installed a 45° elbow on the breather to level and raise it slightly.

I hope I was some kind of help

Crf450x

My pump is puking out through the ?breather cap, next to the fill cap, hence the thinking of the "plugged/ stopped up" filter.
How is the fluid level? I’ve had several pickup trucks spit fluid out because they were low. Sounds backwards but once it starts mixing in air it foams up and makes a mess.

77 AMG

Well, I try to keep the fluid at just below the top of the window. I am familiar with aeriation issues from working on helos. I am going to try replacing the return line and see if that helps, as it is looking kind of "questionable". The soft line is odd looking as in kind of almost soggy. I will also try to find an elbow to see if that might help.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my upper torque rods. I spent more time modifying a 2" wrench to fit behind the spring than it took me to put them in.
Nice job ! Also first time i've seen factory safeties on dogbones... For many years I've welded 3/8"x 1-1/2" or 2" flat stock onto any dogbones with cracking rubber in my private motor pool... About 40 years ago in my armor unit about seven of us were in convoy at max speed on blacktop in a hurry to get back before dark. It had been a 5-hour uneventful trip and all of a sudden the M54 I was following locked 'em up and slid slightly sideways in the road with a whole bunch of smoke and multiple skid marks. Initially I thought they almost hit something, but no, the M54 sat alone in a cloud of smoke blocking half the travel lane. The tires on the front-rear axle looked like they tried to climb up on top of the fuel tank. The tires on the other side were jammed tight into the ones on the rear-rear axle. One or two of the dogbones had popped off. Never seen a 5-ton stop that quick. From what I heard later, the wrecker crew had a helluva time getting things pulled back into place

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
round dogbone mixed with regular, came here that way
0409131424.jpg preparing for 24M52 rear spring.jpg" lift kit (imagine that!)

Ajax MD

Well, I try to keep the fluid at just below the top of the window.
Ah, I suspect that's your problem. That's actually too high. If you can get your face really close to the window, you'll see that near the top of the window is the "hot" level. The "cold" level is a fair bit below that. The marks are difficult to see on the sight glass.

When I bought my truck, the PO had accidentally overfilled the P/S fluid and it burped out the vent until I siphoned a little out of the pump with a turkey baster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks