• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

77 AMG

Thanks. I got 2 of them- 1 for the M816 -come 813 and the other for the M35A2 that I gave my son as a graduation gift this week. He is having mixed thoughts about the Deuce, just like I did when I got it and then again when I got the 5 ton.

Ajax MD

Thanks. I got 2 of them- 1 for the M816 -come 813 and the other for the M35A2 that I gave my son as a graduation gift this week. He is having mixed thoughts about the Deuce, just like I did when I got it and then again when I got the 5 ton.
Mixed thoughts in what way? Intimidation?

77 AMG

More like upkeep=money thing, plus having to get it into "fighting trim". WE have ALOT of things to fix on it. It was neglected by the PO, so it is a mess. He knows that I will help him with it, as a good dad should.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished flushing and flushing and flushing my radiator and replaced all straight hoses. Only found a "little bit" of scale inside...
20200501_181400.jpg

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
5B569960-4446-448E-AAA9-7813AD9E5C07.jpeg613CC121-0237-497C-8D3D-9393AD966231.jpeg7DC00146-C7D6-404F-A965-E09FDF9DEF23.jpeg15645168-87FF-4A2D-BE85-EC44020E00B7.jpegF53E695B-2F84-4EDE-B2D9-DA3C724A051D.jpeg
Finally got my spot lights on the truck. Control box is built up as I didn’t have the original military unit. It is attached with wiring and movable so I can control while sitting in the seat. Can’t get the video to load to show operation but they are bright, love the 360 degrees rotation and over 300 degrees vertical movement. They are military COBO 24 volt spot lights. Not sure what they originally were installed or used on.

77 AMG

Just finished up redoing the front wheel bearings and the drivers' side wheel cylinder, since it was damp and covered in black fuzz. 3 cans of brake cleaner, most of a roll of shop towels and a complete 5 lb can of WTR red grease per WHEEL!!!!!!!!!! blah. Next up, the rear wheels, since the fronts were basically greaseless. The grease is actually one of Shells' Aero greases. Cool. For $5 a can, I'm IN.
IMG_20200502_131245.jpgIMG_20200502_150506.jpgIMG_20200502_185807.jpgIMG_20200502_185836.jpgIMG_20200502_185842.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just finished up redoing the front wheel bearings and the drivers' side wheel cylinder, since it was damp and covered in black fuzz. 3 cans of brake cleaner, most of a roll of shop towels and a complete 5 lb can of WTR red grease per WHEEL!!!!!!!!!! blah. next up, the rear wheels, since the fronts were basically greaseless.
View attachment 798573View attachment 798574
Hopefully you bought the 35lb pail of crimson red

77 AMG

Hopefully you bought the 35lb pail of crimson red
I pay $5 per 5 lb can. It's what we have at work, and I am happy just to be able to get a quality grease at a pretty good price. ( It also makes it easier to store on the truck and lug around, knowing how much that you are going to need for a given thing...)

77 AMG

Yep. I noticed that when I was looking it up. It will be a GOOD choice for the Deuce, as well. Only thing that I couldn't confirm is gear oil mixing and causing "wash out" .

77 AMG

Well, we (boy and I) go the steering column pushed UP about 3/4ths of an inch on the dash, which equals about 3 inches at my lap. I am happy with no longer having the steering wheel try to start a fire in my lap when I have to really turn the wheel FAST. We also finished up with the front axle, including new knuckle boots, and tomorrow, my steering ram is supposed to be here. The hubs were *DRY*, like Death Valley DRY! I had been running at speeds up to 81 MPH, sustained speeds of 70-75 MPH for HOURS , at times, on these poor things! Yes, NOS bearings and races were installed, Thank you. Any idea on how *old* that front shoe plate is? Everything properly torqued- Inner wheel nut torqued until 1 RPM of brake drum, then backed off about 1/16th of a turn, outer hub nut to 350 lbs/ft, lugnuts to 450 lbs/ft.
IMG_20200507_134036.jpgIMG_20200507_150427.jpgIMG_20200507_134006.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I took my M813 out for an "exercise run" this week.

I've been driving my wife's HMMWV too much and it's made me soft. The transition to all the pops, bangs and rattles and the loud NHC 250 was jarring. The HMMWV is positively smooth in comparison.

Seriously, I have got to find a way to isolate and stop some of these noises so that I can actually hear what's going on with the engine, transmission and wheels so that I can pick up on an impending failure, if there is one.

- The spare tire carrier rattles loudly
- The foot loop on the front bumper rattles loudly
- The passenger window rattles loudly in the door
- The output flange on the muffler has rusted off so the exhaust pipe rattles around because I've strapped it in place as best I can
- There's probably crap rattling around in the tool box

I heard random pops and bangs while I was driving that were not tied to anything, totally independent of engine, transmission or wheel rotation. It was a very windy day. I'm wondering if it was the cargo cover "snapping" in the wind. Some of it may be tired cab mounts, I dunno.

The truck doesn't leak. All the gauges read in spec. I do my pre-checks and the coolant level is normal and clean, the oil level is perfect and after a year and a half, the oil is cleaner than I have any right to expect from an old diesel. Brake fluid level is stable and the brakes work perfectly. I've replaced the transfer case and serviced the steering axle. I've replaced all the hoses and belts. I swear I'm going to strap my GoPro to the undercarriage and go for a drive for some visual and audio.

I'm probably wigging out over nothing, I just don't want to be that guy that causes an accident and ruins the hobby for everyone else.

77 AMG

Well, I bolted the transmission tunnel FULLY down, and added old sleep mat to the rear cab wall, took the Dremel to a couple of "rub" areas on both seats, added grease to said spots and the truck is ALOT quieter. Holy Cr**, what a difference! You can actually hear the air filter change pitch when the engine hits 2,200 RPM. Goes from a droning noise to a whistle now. It makes for a NICE "Heads UP!" warning on RPMs'. Now, with the windshield closed, I am DEFINITELY hearing the old NHC PC head "rattling/ popcorn" noise. It's kind of disturbing, actually...

Ajax MD

Now, with the windshield closed, I am DEFINITELY hearing the old NHC PC head "rattling/ popcorn" noise. It's kind of disturbing, actually...
Can you expand on this popcorn noise? Is it a common trait of the engine or is it an indicator that something is failing? It has something to do with the cylinder heads?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks