• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan77

Put a electric fuel pump on the blazer and new front and rear driveshaft seals! Next up the windshield and ip pump!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new blackout lights in front, Thanks Popacom! Made a new blackout light bracket from scratch (missing) and installed one of the back lights. I'll finish up the other back one tomorrow.

forest522

Weekend weather has been getting better out here. That means working on the M1009. I get back home so tired, it's hard to keep up with the posting of pics and stories! I plan on creating a build thread soon, sort of new at this and have been doing most of the work alone. Thanks to this forum, it's going pretty well! You guys are the best!:beer:

Yesterday, removed roof, grinder/sanded rust spots. Have already removed interior, all dash, all glass, tailgate, doors and fender (got a rust free one from a junkyard and painted it already)

Here is last fall and how it looks now. More photos in camera, got to get them posted here!

Attachments

bshupe

I did a paint test on my 1031. I used a 150 sanding sponge for about 5 minutes and roughed it up. All the rust came right off with no problems at all.... Amazingly easy actually. I masked it off real quick and then applied the paint with a fine 1" roller. The paint has a little more texture than I will want to have in the end but for a test its just fine. The color it something I worked up with the local mixing expert at Home Depot via the Behr exterior flat that people on here have been having good results with.

In the photos, the after shot is tack dry so I think the color has stabilized for the most part and with any luck the sheen will flatten out even further. The sanded/prepped shot is literally 5 minutes of sanding... it cleaned up super easy. The after shot also has the original color on the bumper for comparison.

I really like the new color and look forward to painting the whole thing if one panel at a time. lol

Any thoughts or opinions are enthusiastically welcomed. :)

Attachments

Mike68

Just mounted a Curt brand frame mount hitch on my 86 M1009 Friday. It went on perfect. :beer: I even left the pintle hitch on, I did have to take the small tube off. I guess it was a brace for the Military hitch. The new hitch went right in and seemed to take that little tube braces place, every thing was real solid. I have already pulled my 20' flat bed trailer with a pretty big load of chain link fence and quick crete.
Next project is get the fuel gauge working,:cry: replace heater core before cold weather- just by passed for now. Using this M1009 as a daily driver and I have been happy with it!!! Oh, one note on installing the hitch. I had to use dental floss to fish the foreward bolts through the frame to their holes but it wasnt to bad.
I did forget this, and another member ask me about it. I did have to take a sledge hammer to the pintle chain hooks and bend them to where they are sraight out, flush with the bottom of the bumper. also I shemed the hitch with washers to level it but it was no big deal to do it all works really well. When I ordered the hitch I just told them it was for a 1986 Blazer.

Last edited:
pulled out the stock glowplugs and put in some 60G ac delco's. while i was at it it put new female 1/4" female heads to hook up to the ac delco 60g's as the factory connections are like 3/16". So now i dont need to grid down the spade terminals on the 60g's like some guys have here. I also put shrink wrap, etc to make them durable.

also put in another fire extinguisher, tightened my gt steering wheel and mounted up the hi lift jack over the wheel in the rear inside.

hunderliggur

Made front and rear floor mats out of a rubber horse stall mat. 3/4 rubber, 4'x6', less than 40 bucks at your local farm store (I have a farm so I just snitched one that was not in use).

forest522

Well I finally got tired of the reflection from the shifter and turn signal lever onto the gauges when it's bright out, so I painted them flat black.
Hey True Knight - what kind a gauge action you got going on there? :popcorn:
Looks well done! Replace some of the lights on the left and is that a tach on the right where the volt meter was? Nicely done!

combatmech

According to the measurements of the tank, it's only an inch taller than the 27 gal tank that had been installed.
Prior to removal of the old tank, it looked like we had at least 3 inches of space between the old tank and skid plate. " Should " fit....we'll find out later today. I'll post pics when complete. Thanks...it's been a fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks