• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith_J

Finally mounted the rear view camera display to the radio bracket. The display included a pedestal and a bezel for flush mounting. I didn't like the pedestal and the bezel looked unfinished.

So I made a tub out of 1/4" medium density fiberboard, then contoured it to the bezel. The tub is secured to the bracket with two embedded T-nuts, using existing holes in the bracket and a pair of 1/4-20 flange bolts through the rear. The entire MDF material was coated in epoxy, sanded and painted to match the plastic bezel.

The cord is hidden behind the bracket, making for a professional install. All wires are out of sight, all the way to the back. Power is protected with a 3 amp fuse. You can also see the AC evaporator+air handling unit and the 12 volt accessory outlet, to the left of the STE-ICE socket.

Attachments

Keith_J

Hooligans? It isn't an ipod/pad/phone, the zombies in the neighborhood don't want it. They won't even look me in the eyes because they fear zombie hunters.2cents

Now, what the M1031 did tonight..have tools, will travel. Front axle brake job on a mid 1990s Ford Ranger. The Nylon pistons (yes, that is right...NYLON) expand when the brake fluid gets water in it. Slight corrosion but the piston will not retract properly.

Two calipers was $33. Spot of brake fluid. Air impact tool for lug nuts made it a snap. Hour of work and $50 profit. Yeah, I can get used to living this way. Once the air conditioning is working.

MarcusOReallyus

An hour of work? How about travel time? Fuel? Wear and tear on truck and tools? Did you make any profit? Or just have fun? Nothing wrong with just having fun, but I've seen people go broke making $50 an hour. Just because it's invisible out and cash in doesn't mean you are making money.

But nylon pistons?????!? That must be why a mechanic we trust told us to steer clear of Rangers when I was looking for a small pickup!

Keith_J

An hour of work? How about travel time? Fuel? Wear and tear on truck and tools? Did you make any profit? Or just have fun? Nothing wrong with just having fun, but I've seen people go broke making $50 an hour. Just because it's invisible out and cash in doesn't mean you are making money.

But nylon pistons?????!? That must be why a mechanic we trust told us to steer clear of Rangers when I was looking for a small pickup!
About 100 feet of "commute" :shock:. I did go around the block. All parts were on hand. I did use a few pennies of Lava soap.

1StumpJumper

Replaced the belts & discovered that two of the three bolts inside the power steering pump were backed all the way out, rubbing on the inside of the pulley.

Between the belts not screaming and no bolts rubbing, it is a BIT more quiet.

Got insurance on it yesterday. The Suburban is now retired, the 08 is now the daily driver:D:D:D

HighPlainsPrepper

Finally decided to troubleshoot my glow system. I had replaced the controller, relay, and plugs with known good ones out of the other truck. I still had an intermittent problem. While I was checking power/continuity/ground on the glow control connector I noticed the female terminals where the board plugs in were worn, and some were spread too far apart for the board to make a good connection. Specifically, the light blue wire that ground the glow plug relay. I "Crimped" them back into shape with an awl and reinserted the glow controller. Turned the key and got the right clicks and lights in the proper order. Truck fired right up.
Moral of the story: Don't make assumptions that everything is as it should be. I should have learned that by now.

twlinks

I picked up a different hood a couple of weeks ago since mine was kind of caved in in the center and the support was broken. The "new" one had some surface rust and some hail damage but it was much more solid. I sanded it down yesterday and filled the dents this morning...should get back to it by the weekend.

I'm glad this whole project isn't a horse race, 'cause I sure wouldn't win, place or show at the rate it's going. Funny thing about that is I don't really care. It is a lot of work but doesn't seem like it and I love spending time on it. I originally thought I'd have it all done in a couple of months...that was back in Feb. Now I'm looking forward to some "winter down time" and maybe, just maybe it will be finished by Spring.

Attachments

SSG ALBANESE

Leaks, lights, and lord oh no!

October 7th a boulder got into a fight with my Allison Transmission on my 06 Duramax. The boulder won with one punch to the tranny pan. Truck is in the shop for new trans.

Seeing as my luck in October started off in the wrong direction I decided I better watch the CUCV Closely. Sure enough the passenger side rocker arm cover developed a decent oil leak. So I parked it figuring that the job should be quick. I ordered the gaskets from Auto Zone... They ordered Cork, not even cork rubber but it would be days before I could get anything else so I used them.

From the 13th to the 16th Oct I drove the Deuce while the Duramax was in the shop and the cucv in the driveway.

The Rocker arm cover job went slow but well. The most difficult part was the rear fuel injection line (too lazy to remove the battery).

Also took about 10 minutes to replace the grill marker lights under the head lights. New from JC Whitteny for about 30 bucks.

The next monring, yesterday I put the deuce away and ready to go to work cucv style I hopped in the truck, she fired up and I left the house........

Lord ohhhhh noooo, it wont shift, what the heck did I do????

Pull over check the vacuum lines under the hood, everything is good to go. Check the trans fluid level, it to is good to go. Screw it.... get to work lol, as the truck reved in high rpm and bam into second and bam into third.... Really two transmissions in one day????

Hoping for an easy fix I checked SS for older posts. Sure enough the modulator at the tranny. I forgot about it. Went to the parking lot at work and found the metal line I rebolted to the rocker arm cover slipped out of the rubber hose. Issue fixed.

Pheww.

cshaw07

i added some new wheels and tires. Firestone discoverer MT's in a 33x12.5x15. No idea on rim size, backspacing or width. The fronts poke out some and the rears are just tucked in a bit. The stock studs weren't long enough so i had to find longer ones. I used ARP 100-7706 studs for the front and rear, the fronts pressed right in but for the backs i had to drill the axle flange bigger and open up the holes on the brake drums. The only down side to these studs is the knurled part in the back comes through the drum so if you have thin steel wheels you wouldn't be able to use these ones. Then again though, if you had steel wheels the stock studs would be fine.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Those wheels would look awesome painted flat black...

I think you will like those tires too. They are supposed to be some of the better mud terrains on the market. (Oh, and its Destination, not Discoverer-thats Cooper). Nice job.

Keith_J

I did another mechanic job WITH my 1031 SECM over the weekend. Put over an hour on the generator and air compressor to power my air tools. I've never had a MacPhearson strut job go easier since impact wrench reduces muscle fatigue.

Have tools, will travel.

Keith_J

I moved the air compressor in my M1031 SECM to on top of the generator. Real simple shelf made of two 1' square tubes, extending from the generator power panel to the cross brace channel on the right hand side.

Is sure frees up floor space AND makes oil changes easier. on the compressor.

Next will be a bracket for argon shielding gas cylinder. Yes, the welder is powered by the generator.

twlinks

I moved the air compressor in my M1031 SECM to on top of the generator. Real simple shelf made of two 1' square tubes, extending from the generator power panel to the cross brace channel on the right hand side.

Is sure frees up floor space AND makes oil changes easier. on the compressor.

Next will be a bracket for argon shielding gas cylinder. Yes, the welder is powered by the generator.
nopics

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the leaking rear hub seal on the M1028A1. It's amazing what a foul crud, gear oil and brake dust creates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks