• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
oil change on a buddies 09 before he picks it up, mounted his rear view, installed fire extinguisher in stock spot, prepping for glow plug conversion to take .25" plugs for the 60g's and body work.

Keith_J

One step closer to AIR CONDITIONING!!! Finished the wiring for the high side system, this uses the back battery/right alternator to power the AC, accessory outlet and rear view camera. Simply stated, it uses the 24 volt for positive, the 12 volt positive for the negative. IOW, the negative is NOT the chassis.

All circuits are individually fused and collectively protected through 30 amp circuit breakers. Note, the 12 volt negative here is 12 volts above the chassis so it must be protected.

All that is needed is hose crimping and charging. It might get done before the first freeze here:confused:. The blower certainly is strong enough, this is a 14,000 BTU/hour unit with 240 CFM circulation rate. The compressor is of the same capacity with a 21,000 BTU/hour condenser. This way performance won't suffer when the outside temps get over 100F.

wayne pick

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark on your wallet! :shock:
Hea Marcus, the NP205 TC was not original to the truck. It was a 27 spline unit out of a 79 pickup and part of the 700R4 conversion so it was pretty old. The Off Road Design 205 is actually not bad at $895.00. I'll probably go with that. I've seen others at $1100.00. The Atlas unit goes for almost $2400.00, is more aimed for the rock crawler market, and is totally out of the question for me.LOL. I could convert to an NP208, but it's half the case the 205 is.

donalloy1

hauled the m101 to get tires with my buddies and than got a fantastic tire repair kit from 4 wheel parts! This kit is LEGIT, the robust handles are amazing. ARB Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (10000010) If dont already have this capability in the truck and travel the trails or just like to be self sufficient LOOK INTO THIS!
With all those Grease Bushes down there that kit will help you all for sure!

Keith_J

Keith_J, that set up looks cool. Can you break it down Barney style for electronics novices like me?

Certainly. You know how houses have both 120 and 240? It is done by bringing 2 legs at 120 each into the house. From each leg to neutral is 120 volts, between the two legs is 240.

Well, that is how I viewed the CUCV 12/24 system, only instead of a neutral, it is at 12 volts over the chassis. This is why I have both legs protected with fuses and circuit breakers.

It is just a neat way of balancing the power. And because I didn't want to hack into the system, it is easily removed.

cpf240

Certainly. You know how houses have both 120 and 240? It is done by bringing 2 legs at 120 each into the house. From each leg to neutral is 120 volts, between the two legs is 240.

Well, that is how I viewed the CUCV 12/24 system, only instead of a neutral, it is at 12 volts over the chassis. This is why I have both legs protected with fuses and circuit breakers.

It is just a neat way of balancing the power. And because I didn't want to hack into the system, it is easily removed.
I presume this also means you have to be certain that whatever you are powering off this "second leg" is completely isolated from the chassis?

Keith_J

I presume this also means you have to be certain that whatever you are powering off this "second leg" is completely isolated from the chassis?
Yes, most are. The 12 volt accessory outlet I installed has two wires and a plastic body. The air conditioning evaporator-blower had both negative wires on the rear mounting stud, I pulled those off and connected them to the high side neutral, then checked to make sure there was no negative-ground connection.

True Knight

Today I installed some Rigid Industries lights. I got the 10" E-series spot/flood combo (pn: 11031). I want to give credit to Ben at FilthyMotorsports.com who was very helpful on the phone and got me the best price and advised me that the free shipping option would be best (I got the lights the next day!) I will definitely do business with him again.

Anyway the lights are nearly a perfect fit in the CUCV's brush guard. I only used 2 washers (one on each side) to close the slight gap. And due to the led's low current draw I was able to wire both lights with only one wiring harness with spliced on leads for the second light.

If anyone wants more pics I can take em in the daylight tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350280899.037576.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350280937.793508.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350280954.751569.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350280978.328747.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350280993.544440.jpg

cshaw07

This weekend i changed: thermostat, rad hoses, heater hose, and changed/flushed coolant. I also added a block heater.
Then I took it wheelin and had some fun!

Last edited:
Drove my 1008 up north to pull the boat out for the winter. Sure was nice to be able to drive 65 very comfortably with the tall tires. I even passed a few folks! :p

After the first 100 miles I discovered that I accidentally had my front hubs locked. Doh!

MarcusOReallyus

Today I installed some Rigid Industries lights. I got the 10" E-series spot/flood combo (pn: 11031).

If anyone wants more pics I can take em in the daylight tomorrow.

Very nice. :beer:

I'd love to see a picture in the other direction. What the driver sees at night with and without the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks