• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wired1000

Changed the oil tonite!

This is the first thing I've had to do in months and months. For those of you struggling with a myriad of crazy strange problems, there is hope! One day, "the next thing to fix" won't show it's ugly face and, like me, you'll drive your CUCV for 6 months without a single problem. Amazing!

SGTskully

replaced oil and tranny fluids and filters. Replaced my dash with a better one and dash carpet cover. adding an overhead console for cb and molle gear.
durability test with 400 miles a week for a few weeks as I move 150 miles to a new job. 51k and no problems.

took the best camping, drove like a dream all the way. While I was there had a few minutes of down time and threw in a new glow plug relay. Decided next project is a roof rack, ASAP!

True Knight

This is the first thing I've had to do in months and months. For those of you struggling with a myriad of crazy strange problems, there is hope! One day, "the next thing to fix" won't show it's ugly face and, like me, you'll drive your CUCV for 6 months without a single problem. Amazing!
Same here! No problems for a long while. And that's with driving it hard off road too.

True Knight

Installed some Rigid Industries lights on the rear. I'm gonna wire em up tomorrow so that they come on in reverse and on a switch so I can turn them on whenever.

Attachments

Last edited:

scottladdy

Replaced tie rod ends and complete center link on my M1009 tonight. Went from almost 12" of free play to the "normal" Chevy truck 2" +/-. Amazing change in handling. A lot more fun to drive. I used the Raybestos Professional Grade parts from RockAuto. After doing some research, learned that they are the same parts sold by NAPA under their name.

Recently replaced brake calipers with NAPA Total Eclipse (appear to be black powder coated Cardone). Cost was about $17 each less tax. They come with a "free tow" roadside assistance $60.00 tag per caliper. Not a bad deal for the price. Core charge was almost $30 each! Also replaced rear cylinders with Dorman's. Brakes are fantastic now.

So far, combination of Monroe gas magnum's and the steering linkage repairs noted above are improving the fun factor on this truck by orders of magnitude.

Next up, spring and anti sway bar bushings etc. with poly. Leaning to energy suspension. Any one with experience or correct part numbers for M1008 and M1009?

Thx

Corvette1974

Replaced tie rod ends and complete center link on my M1009 tonight. Went from almost 12" of free play to the "normal" Chevy truck 2" +/-. Amazing change in handling. A lot more fun to drive. I used the Raybestos Professional Grade parts from RockAuto. After doing some research, learned that they are the same parts sold by NAPA under their name.

Recently replaced brake calipers with NAPA Total Eclipse (appear to be black powder coated Cardone). Cost was about $17 each less tax. They come with a "free tow" roadside assistance $60.00 tag per caliper. Not a bad deal for the price. Core charge was almost $30 each! Also replaced rear cylinders with Dorman's. Brakes are fantastic now.

So far, combination of Monroe gas magnum's and the steering linkage repairs noted above are improving the fun factor on this truck by orders of magnitude.

Next up, spring and anti sway bar bushings etc. with poly. Leaning to energy suspension. Any one with experience or correct part numbers for M1008 and M1009?

Thx

I installed the Gas Magnums front and back on my M1028 - one of the best things I've done so far to the truck.

The sway bar- I used the energy suspension poly bushings for the front sway bar. They were like $19 on jegs and worked perfectly. They do their job perfectly. Literally the handling and steering on my truck is comparable to some cars. There is equal steering play to Corvette (which has completely new steering and brakes all around). The shocks and poly sway bar bushings (along with a 36k mile truck) are excellent. Tracks straight and true, never had a handling hiccup both on road and off.

Dont quote me on this but IIRC these were the ones I used - probably different for the M1009 though.

Energy Suspension 3-5118G Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings

Either way - excellent upgrades.

Will

forest522

Replaced tie rod ends and complete center link on my M1009 tonight. Went from almost 12" of free play to the "normal" Chevy truck 2" +/-. Amazing change in handling. A lot more fun to drive. I used the Raybestos Professional Grade parts from RockAuto. After doing some research, learned that they are the same parts sold by NAPA under their name

Thx
Interesting...i keep finding the same thing....like thier return policy too...

Small Prepper

Morning

Had transfer case come apart and the drive shaft dance down the road about two weeks ago. (bearing or pervious owner had no fuild in case, not sure)

Remover old transfer case (about and hour and a half)

Purchused BRAND NEW, STILL IN THE BOX, Military surplus, transfer case and drive shaft for $675.00

Replaced transfer case and drive shaft in about 3 hours by myself ( No lifts, jacks, air tools, or other help)

Test drove and runs like a charm

Roy

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thanks. You've used balancing beads?
I'm currently running them in my m818 on 16r20 goodyears, my wifes 86 ramcharger 31/10r15s. If the tires are a little out of round like my 16r20s where it may take a couple hundred miles to smooth the tries out but the beads do make a big difference in helping to get rid of any vibrations your getting from the tires. Counteract uses micro glass beads, not powder or some of the other products that are out there, that way if you have a small amount of water vapor in your tires the glass won't clump up like the powders will, which can cause your tires to feel like they are even worse or even feel like a broken cord.

JSF01

Replaced the out side bottom out side window seals on the doors formy M1009. Discovered the real reason why my tailgate had a rust whole in it (besides the window seal needing to be replaced) As I was getting ready to pull the old ones off, I noticed somthing and was like wait a second. the bottom seals are reveresed. the one on the inside is an out side seal, while the one outside is an inside seal. So those are now replaced and the mistake corrected. Next step replace the door/ tailgate seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks